Advice on moving from video to DSLR

sebasvideo

I'm a wedding videographer as a side business, and I have a few professional video cameras. Since I bought the Canon 60D I fell in love with the DSLR picture quality and I'm thinking about selling those cameras to get another 60D, and more importantly, lenses that are appropriate for video, especially zoom lenses with fixed aperture like the Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM.

However, there are a few things that make me doubt before making that decision, the main one being the 12 minute limit of the 60D (and I hear the 5D Marks have 30 minutes, but still I don't like to be constrained in recording time). Another thing is the ability to zoom smoothly, like I have with my Canon XF100 camcorder, to the point of having adjustable speeds.

The main other problem I have is moire. I had quite a few takes ruined on my 60D because of this, including one of a lake. Is there any way to fix this in post? I haven't found it yet. I read that there was a plugin for FCP7, which I don't have and besides I don't like it. I work with Premiere, After Effects, Edius and Vegas.

So how are videographers with DSLRs get around these problems? Is there any hack to make the 60D record for at least one hour straight? And how do you manage to zoom smoothly, provided you have a lens with fixed aperture?

Thanks,

Sebastian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
For many many reasons - my advice would be to avoid a DSLR as the main event camera. Stick with the tried and tested video cameras for the important stuff and use your 60D for the pretty bride getting ready shots and the reception B roll. You can lock the XF100 off on sticks shooting speeches and wonder around with the 60D getting the pick up shots.

I've heard horror stories from event videographers who sold up their EX-1's and bought into DSLR's.