Samsung in CMOS break-through, pulls 4K video off sensor in $400 compact camera

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/samsung-WB850F1.jpg[/img]

Samsung have revealed a new CMOS sensor which does 4K/30p (12MP at 30 frames per second). The bad news? It is trapped inside the body of a $400 compact camera!

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6817/samsung-in-cmos-break-through-pulls-4k-video-off-sensor-in-400-compact-camera/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Reminds me of the Andromeda upgrade to my Panasonic DVX-100A. It bypassed the in-camera processing to record near 2K 4:4:4 video to a Mac laptop via USB. Pretty amazing for its time, and I still use it for effects or in-studio work.

The developers were working on an upgrade to the HVX when they were bought out and buried. Too bad, it was as impressive as Vitaly's hack for its time, even though it did require some physical mods to the camera.

Just another reminder of how much camera manufacturers cripple their products, either to salvage existing lines or to meet the "standards" the industry has set up (as mentioned in Andrew's article about Panasonic and the hack).