Shipping thread - Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I just can't help feeling the sensors are somehow being sabataged. There is a lot of money that could be lost by the major players. I just don't like the sound of this. I hope all goes well for Black Magic they really have been stitched up by the sensor Manufacturers in my opinion.

• Administrators
[quote name='kitchentable' timestamp='1351804187' post='20814']
I haven't heard from CVP since the 15th. August email.

Mind you, other than telling me what they got up to on their holidays I don't think there's been that much to definitively update me on.

I have no idea where I am on their list and until they are getting them through in even remotely sensible quantities its a bit moot unless you are in the first 5.

They do seem to have been drawn into having to address your specific order issue on the Blackmagic forum though Andrew !

[url="http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288&start=1010"]http://forum.blackma...1288&start=1010[/url]

I think a few people on there need to relax and accept its only a camera.
[/quote]

Re: that link - Really sad to see anyone resent myself getting the camera. That guy forgets I actually paid money for mine like everyone else (it is not a beta test program freebie) and because I believed in the camera immediately as it was being announced at NAB I put down my deposit and ordered it at CVP in a flash. I've waited like everyone else. There's nothing unfair about me getting my camera finally after all this time.

Firstly, CVP just couldn't update everyone (and that includes me) on the shipping, because Blackmagic wasn't providing CVP with any info... At all. Blackmagic didn't have the info themselves. It was an engineering issue. Not even the engineers knew when the fix would be done, let alone when the factory could ramp up in significant quantities. So how is the dealer supposed to know!?

I think people need to understand this and cut them some slack.

I myself many times have felt frustrated at the lack of a camera, and beta testers getting theirs first just rubs salt into the wound so I can completely understand why people might be upset that CVP's first unit went to me but the reasons for that are honest and in the open. I ordered it first at CVP. That isn't me being big headed or rubbing salt in anyone's wound. It is simply stating the fact.

Either way, CVP can't win can they? Give 1 camera to anyone, and 100 miss out. What needs to happen is for large shipments to be sent... But because of the engineering related issues, this isn't yet happening. There's no conspiracies. To be honest it really sucks to have those conspiracies aired. If you want to hurt EOSHD, go head with the conspiracies.

Just to clarify Andrew that I put that link up to draw attention to the absurdity of CVP having to do that rather than attempting to fuel any conspiracies ;)

Its worth people remembering that CVP's loss on this at the moment is greater than anyone's as they are missing out on the profit on all of those cameras on backorder.

And judging by the response to a new delay from BMD coinciding with RED offering 4K for $4K, that loss might well become permanent.

With regard to perceived queue jumping, its also worth remembering that those heroes of democratising cinema RED pulled a quite incredible stroke on those of us that were patiently waiting in line for our EPIC-X when they started selling the "got the cash? jump the queue" EPIC-M package.

So, in terms of missed delivery dates and concerns about strategic selection, BMD customers are being treated a lot better.

To put it in perspective, If BMD too a leaf out of RED's book, they'd make a titanium version with a few accessories included and sell it for $10K to anyone that wants to jump the queue.

• Administrators
Absolutely and I am glad you drew it to my attention. I've replied on that forum. It is incredible how one crazy conspiracy guy with an axe to grind under an anonymous name can drag one down.

CVP's explanation by the way, is 100% honest.

Not that you should have to defend yourself over this but it might be worth directing people on that thread to your tweets that I seem to remember from the time having a go at CVP over a cock up with the order processing. Took the full amount I think?

MInd you, it'll probably just be passed off as you and CVP colluding to create a neat trail to cover your tracks !

[url="http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2431"]http://forum.blackma....php?f=2&t=2431[/url]

update from BMD.

explains basically everything. Sounds like they have had some MAJOR problems to deal with over the past few weeks. This whole thing has been a bitch of a stress test on the company as a whole. Personally, I think they just grew up big time, and i'm now even more excited to see what they will bring to market in the future.

jeez!! thats looks complicated ..especially this part

[b][i]"Now the amazing part is that the first batch of sensors we got that we used for developing the camera and that were fine when we started production were manufactured by a completely different company to the second and subsequent batches of sensors. I could not believe this news when I heard it today as it explains a lot.[/i][/b]"

Thats why is been so slow ..different supplier!!

Looks like the sensor is NOT made by Fairchild/British Aerospace ? I wonder who does make it??????

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1352405268' post='21345']
I'm editing my raw footage and totally up to speed with it now. First blog post not far off
[/quote]

Hey Andy, would you consider adding in a little comparison between the gradability of the ProRes vs RAW. Not really a comparison but more just showing how much latitude you are missing compared to RAW? I'm wondering how much you loose when you don't have time to shoot raw. Maybe shoot inside looking out a window in both RAW and ProRes?

Thanks!
[edit]
Oh god! I just noticed that I wrote Andy instead of Andrew. Sorry, don't know how that even happened.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know whether the Nvidia Quadro cards offer any improved performance in resolve over the non-pro cards (GTX) other than clock speed and cores? Does the same apply to mobile cards as well.

On paper the Nvidia 680MX in the new top-end imac kills the Quadro 4000, which is DaVinci Resolve approved. The 680MX is also cheaper. What's the downside?