GH3 with timecode, XLR, peaking, OLED viewfinder and magnesium alloy body

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Andrew, as wonderful as all of these features sound mate, I fear it's all too good to be true and especially for the price.

Based on these features the GH3 sounds like a quantum leap from the GH2.

I love my GH2 and have made good money off it & would love all of these new features on the GH3, in fact Ill buy the GH3 whatever it has.

But after being disappointed so many times from 'rumours' I will wait for the official Panasonic release.

But please keep the rumours coming, it gives a lot of hope.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the Black Magic camera, I think it's a fad because the sensor is so small.

By the end of 2012 there will be so many sexy new cameras to choose from.....

AND, let's see what the Sony Full Frame video camera and the Canon EOS 1DC are like once released.

My 5DIII is pretty good and is a great fill-in till the rest of the new gear gets released.

Hopefully the 1DC will have 4K 25p added for us PAL users.

I really love my little GH2 and if they give us clean HDMI out and a 4:2:2 color space I am sold. I want a lot of other features too but those things are enough to make me upgrade. I really don't want them to increase the size of the camera. One of the things I really like about the GH2 is the small size. I can shoot and people have no clue I am filming or they see the size of the equipment and don't pay any attention because they think I am a tourist. That makes for really natural situations.

[quote name='FrankatCoffs' timestamp='1346804478' post='17338']
Andrew, as wonderful as all of these features sound mate, I fear it's all too good to be true and especially for the price.

Based on these features the GH3 sounds like a quantum leap from the GH2.

I love my GH2 and have made good money off it & would love all of these new features on the GH3, in fact Ill buy the GH3 whatever it has.

But after being disappointed so many times from 'rumours' I will wait for the official Panasonic release.

But please keep the rumours coming, it gives a lot of hope.

I'm not the slightest bit interested in the Black Magic camera, I think it's a fad because the sensor is so small.

By the end of 2012 there will be so many sexy new cameras to choose from.....

AND, let's see what the Sony Full Frame video camera and the Canon EOS 1DC are like once released.

My 5DIII is pretty good and is a great fill-in till the rest of the new gear gets released.

Hopefully the 1DC will have 4K 25p added for us PAL users.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on this. Seems very over the top right now.

[quote name='simonfilm' timestamp='1346803306' post='17337']
Wifi means that you could use an iPad as a monitor?
[/quote]

Would be incredible if it could do the functions of the Cameramator
[url="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography?ref=card"]http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urashid/cameramator-wireless-tethered-photography?ref=card[/url]

All of these are awesome. I never had a problem with detail on my Gh2, really just banding and lowlight performance... Maybe a log type profile would be cool..

It's exciting. But it couldn't come at a worst time since I just preordered my BMC...Things like, being able to use pretty much any lens, and a sensor who's dynamic range is apparently so good now, it's the name of the sensor... Shit like that.., lol!

I've seen AVCHD 2.0 on a few spec sheets for the Gh3. I thought that was a revamp of the original 1.0, albeit better, but still different than AVC ultra and not quite as good. All in all the Gh3 has an intra based codec as well so the implementation probably still rocks.

New rumors from a broadcast engineer who talked to a fellow engineer from Japan (however reliable one finds such rumors):

> definitely AVC Ultra @ 1080, Panasonic tries to make new implementations the standard
> probably 4:2:2
> possibly (though not likely) 10-bit, because AVC-U aims at 12-bit for the pro-cameras

The reported data rates are no hint to the bit depth, frame rate or color sampling ratio, because AVC-U is even more efficient than AVCHD, and it is typical for Panasonics to reduce data rates as much as possible.

New sensor may use an entirely new scanning method, which is way faster, behaving like a global shutter. The technique may produce a new class of artifacts though, and one has to wait where the pitfalls are. Banding will be eliminated.

This is what I gathered. Don't blame it on me if it's wrong, this is the nature of rumors.

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1346916978' post='17426']
New rumors from a broadcast engineer who talked to a fellow engineer from Japan (however reliable one finds such rumors):

> definitely AVC Ultra @ 1080, Panasonic tries to make new implementations the standard
> probably 4:2:2
> possibly (though not likely) 10-bit, because AVC-U aims at 12-bit for the pro-cameras

The reported data rates are no hint to the bit depth, frame rate or color sampling ratio, because AVC-U is even more efficient than AVCHD, and it is typical for Panasonics to reduce data rates as much as possible.

New sensor may use an entirely new scanning method, which is way faster, behaving like a global shutter. The technique may produce a new class of artifacts though, and one has to wait where the pitfalls are. Banding will be eliminated.

This is what I gathered. Don't blame it on me if it's wrong, this is the nature of rumors.
[/quote]

I really hope that this is true.

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1346916978' post='17426']
[/quote]

This one's definitely wrong, at least the reason it might not be 10-bit. AVC-Ultra supports a [i]range[/i] of bit depths up to 12-bit, so this codec "family" definitely includes 10-bit. However, if Panasonic wanted to include 12-bit as an option on the GH3, that's great.

[quote name='Tzedekh' timestamp='1346935347' post='17445']
This one's definitely wrong, at least the reason it might not be 10-bit. AVC-Ultra supports a [i]range[/i] of bit depths up to 12-bit, so this codec "family" definitely includes 10-bit. However, if Panasonic wanted to include 12-bit as an option on the GH3, that's great.
[/quote]

It could be 10-bit easily, if Panasonic only wanted. The 4:2:2 rumor was a guess towards a more professional profile of the GH3, because it would make the video fit for broadcasting. A reason for 10-bit could be that any HDR signal is better spread over 1024 values than over 256. It would make the quantization easier for the processor. Why people remain skeptic is not out of technical necessities, I think it's just that they can't imagine such a huge step forward.

[quote name='Axel' timestamp='1346937967' post='17447']
It could be 10-bit easily, if Panasonic only wanted. The 4:2:2 rumor was a guess towards a more professional profile of the GH3, because it would make the video fit for broadcasting. A reason for 10-bit could be that any HDR signal is better spread over 1024 values than over 256. It would make the quantization easier for the processor. Why people remain skeptic is not out of technical necessities, I think it's just that they can't imagine such a huge step forward.
[/quote]

I agree. Sorry, I thought you were explaining why it might [i]not[/i] be 10-bit. The only reason not to include 10-bit at this point, especially since the camera purportedly will cost more than the GH2, is that Panasonic doesn't want it to compete with their pro video cameras.

[quote name='Tzedekh' timestamp='1346939019' post='17448']
I agree. Sorry, I thought you were explaining why it might [i]not[/i] be 10-bit. The only reason not to include 10-bit at this point, especially since the camera purportedly will cost more than the GH2, is that Panasonic doesn't want it to compete with their pro video cameras.
[/quote]

exactly. This thing will cost as much as a Pana ag af 100 by the time it's kittted out, and there is no guarantee this thing is even going to happen. Unlikely I'd say

[quote name='marcuswolschon' timestamp='1346913079' post='17420']
Does anyone have hope left that the 30min recording limit will be lifted?
Aiming at a more pro market that limitaiton seems rediculus.
[/quote]

In some legal jurisdictions, such as Europe, it cannot record more than 30 minutes as then it is legally re classified as a camcorder, and enteres a different tax bracket

As good as the GH2 is, why would you use this and not a Sony VG-20?

It won't happen anyway

[quote name='amband' timestamp='1347028516' post='17539']
In some legal jurisdictions, such as Europe, it cannot record more than 30 minutes as then it is legally re classified as a camcorder, and enteres a different tax bracket

As good as the GH2 is, why would you use this and not a Sony VG-20?

It won't happen anyway
[/quote]

I would venture to guess that most people don't care about the tax bracket, and just want the time limit lifted.

Why suggest a VG-20 just for the record time limit when it is comparatively lacking in so many other aspects