Why I am shooting raw on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Because 1080p doesn't upscale to nearly 4K anamorphic as well as 2.5K does, that's why! You could do that but why bother?

1920x720 shows what most people who will shoot ProRes will do - a crop for a wider aspect ratio on Vimeo, and no anamorphic lens.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1346693989' post='17229']
Because 1080p doesn't upscale to nearly 4K anamorphic as well as 2.5K does, that's why! You could do that but why bother?

1920x720 shows what most people who will shoot ProRes will do - a crop for a wider aspect ratio on Vimeo, and no anamorphic lens.
[/quote]

Won't you have to compress your Raw footage anyway back down to 1080p to be viewed on vimeo and other limited net streaming, for those who do not have 2k monitors ... etc.

I know and heard that technology is getting ready for 2k and 4k projectors but that would be great for film festivals and showings but for most people who view online, etc..

How versatile and open are you able to show and distribute and others to view your 2.5k projects vs. 1080p projects..?

• Administrators
MacBook Pro retina display and Dell U2711 are widely available, I can only see more displays coming out at the 2.5K mark in computer-land. You can download the full 2.5K file from Vimeo. YouTube supports 2.5K and above. Vimeo doesn't stream in higher than 1080p. But I don't tend to judge image quality from a streaming 7Mbit compressed web clip any way.

When I'm shooting I'm not really thinking about weather people use a 1080p display or a 2.5K one, I just want the best image quality for me.

That's such a biased graph.
You're comparing squeezed prores with stretched raw, how come you show a scaled up raw version if you don't scale the prores one?

Prores doesn't scale as well? Why not? Obviously 1920px is not as good as 2432px, but if you're comparing both with the same anamorphic squeeze, then the real values would be 1920x720 against 2432x914.

Shooting raw doesn't store any additional resolution, saying prores (which is a decent codec) is not worth scaling and raw is is a bit silly, innit?

And anyway, stretching any footage is not a good idea as you'll always lose resolution, you should just squeeze it, keep the same horizontal resolution and gain on the vertical resolution, since that's the screen space you're not using anyway.

I could bet that if you did that to actual footage, the prores would be WAY sharper.