Canon launch $8000 Cinema EOS C100

Andrew Reid

[quote name='TC' timestamp='1346253524' post='16833']
Yeah, I suspect the 4:2:2 is a mistake. As cameraboy points out, it is not part of the AVCHD 2.0 standard.
[/quote]

That said, they did make their own MPEG2 in for the XFs and the C300, so perhaps it's a non-standard implementation? We can only hope...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='TC' timestamp='1346253524' post='16833']
Yeah, I suspect the 4:2:2 is a mistake. As cameraboy points out, it is not part of the AVCHD 2.0 standard.
[/quote]

[quote name='cameraboy' timestamp='1346248322' post='16816']
avchd 422?
looks like a new flavor of H264 ...
if thats true and i own c300 ...
o boy ...
[/quote]

canon Pro Support says its the exact same codec as in the XA10. Boo!

• Administrators
[quote name='Zach' timestamp='1346255479' post='16836']
4K is in the C500!

[url="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/cinema_eos/canon_eos_c500_and_c500_pl.do"]http://cpn.canon-eur..._and_c500_pl.do[/url]
[/quote]

$30,000 Explanation Mark!

• Administrators
[quote name='vincegortho' timestamp='1346256215' post='16839']
So is it $8000 US, or is it $6279?
[/quote]

Press release price said $7999, the street price is likely to be closer $6500. Surprised B&H haven't put their pre-orders up yet. UK dealers seem to be first for a change.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1346256352' post='16841']

Press release price said $7999, the street price is likely to be closer $6500. Surprised B&H haven't put their pre-orders up yet. UK dealers seem to be first for a change.
[/quote]

Canon Pro EOS cams rarely sell less than list. the C300 still sells for $16k

[quote name='Philip Lipetz' timestamp='1346256168' post='16838']
canon support now says that the HDMI output is 4:2:0 8 bit.
[/quote]

Which means a noticable fall-off in image quality from the c300: weaksauce. On the brightside, it looks like Canon has heard the shots across it's bow from the emeging upstarts. But they still seem a year behind the times. The quality of the kineraw mght absolutely destroy this cam.

[quote name='Philip Lipetz' timestamp='1346260138' post='16851']
canon support are the ones saying 4:2:0 output
[/quote]

The Canon website says 4:2:2.

[url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c100#Specifications"]http://www.usa.canon...#Specifications[/url]

Sebastian also says 4:2:2.

http://***URL not allowed***/news/?p=12761

"Canon Support" is not a company, its a single employee of a company, and while there was an employee who wrote the website (and may have inadvertently copy-and-pasted the wrong info) one presumes that info was reviewed and vetted prior to being made public. Also, this camera won't appear till the end of the year, and why would the support staff need the details until then?

Of course you might be right but I really see this camera as DOA if it doesn't have 4:2:2 output. A Ninja 2 would serve as a fine second monitor for the focus puller or scopes etc. and why not record onto it too if you get better quality. This whole camera and its price are overkill for 4:2:0 24mbit video, just like the side handle I see recording internally as a convenience thing for run-and-gun ENG style.

I wonder if Canon are holding back finalizing the price and specs until they see how we react. I can tell them, if there's no 4:2:2 output, this camera should be priced around $3,000. Pro body forced to record consumer format. Ergo semi-pro price.

With the C500 read below (note not the C100). It gives an idea as to what the dynamic range could be - 12 stops for the C100??? For the price, they should give the 4K option.

[b]Canon Log [/b]
[i]Extensive image customisation includes built-in Canon Log Gamma, which delivers neutral image quality with wide dynamic range (800%) for maximum freedom in post-production, providing up to 12 stops of latitude. Canon Log is applied to 8-bit footage, 10-bit 4K RAW data, or the 12-bit log gamma setting for 2K RGB. [/i]
[i]An advantage of 10/12-bit log gamma settings, in comparison to the 8-bit log gamma setting, is their ability to reproduce detail in dark areas. At the 10-bit/12-bit log gamma setting much more information is recorded for the dark areas so there is less noise and the dark areas can be expressed in greater detail.[/i]