Canon launch $8000 Cinema EOS C100

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/canon-c100-cinema-eos.jpg[/img]

Canon today launched the much speculated Canon C100, the budget version of the C300. Priced at $8K to compete with the Sony FS700, the camera is double the price of a FS100 but features built-in ND filters and the same sensor as the C300. The design and handling looks fantastic, it is even smaller than the C300 (by some 15%) but the major compromise is the codec which is now AVCHD at 24Mbit 4-2-0.

However HDMI is uncompressed so for effectively another $300 you can record broadcast standard material to a Blackmagic HyperDeck Shuttle in ProRes.

I really like the C100 at first glance. But will it be enough to compete with the FS700?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
People love Canon colors. But it won't be 4k later on, then of course the frame rates, etc. Both of them look pretty video-ish. (C300/FS700)... Uncompressed helps a lot, but after seeing some of these clips of internal AVCHD and HDMI out comparisons, the AVCHD stuff is pretty damn good, especially on the D800. I didn't think Canon did AVCHD... Hopefully they do it like Sony does and it won't look terrible.

• Administrators
Comes with C LOG.

They didn't take a lot out. They need to compete with Sony.

Overall image quality still a question-mark though. MPEG on C300 had a very fine grain and film like texture. AVCHD is good but tends to be smoother and more compressed looking.

• Administrators
If you notice design of ND filter switch, they have still 'cut the cloth' differently to the more expensive camera but they have done so in such a nice way I don't really mind. Build remains solid. Magnesium alloy not plastic chassis. To have the articulated screen on the back as well as 15% smaller body is great. If the image stands up I'll prefer it to the FS100. But Vs a FS700 a tougher choice.

What Sony need to do is make their full frame cameras as good as possible, no funny business, then copy Canon's form factor and make a 4K camera for $10k.

Sounds good but still very conservative pricing from Canon. This should be priced to compete with the FS100. The FS700 has a bunch of features that make it very special and extremely good value. Obviously Canon is hoping to bank on the reputation the C300 has been making in picture quality.

A smart move by Canon, loyal followers will be happy to have a PRO camera without having to pay 15k$.
But in terms of specs the comparison with the FS700 is embarassing: for the same price we have 240fps, 4k-capable body and universal mount.
No way it can win over it, even if it has a slightly better image quality (Sony AVCHD codec is known to be the best one anyway..)

Looks good. But to me it just reinforces what many have been saying about Canon's strategy. Artificial market segmentation. Deliberately crippled hardware. It is cynical and nobody likes it. Within less than a year of each other we have two cameras with almost identical hardware, the main difference being the codec. $8000 for 24Mbps 4:2:0, $15,000 for 50Mbps 4:2:2. Neither of which is state of the art. Both of which have been implemented by Canon many times before in different cameras.

Is Canon aiming to have it's Cinema-EOS range look like it's Powershot range? [url="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras"]http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras[/url]
I count 32 different camera models, with a price difference of just $10 at the lower end.

Here's the C100 at 4162 pounds ex VAT on ProKit. so about 5000 with VAT for consumers and non-VAT registered persons. [url="http://www.prokit.co.uk/index.php?view=product&product=Canon-EOS-C100-Camcorder"]http://www.prokit.co.uk/index.php?view=product&product=Canon-EOS-C100-Camcorder[/url]

After using the FS700 for three solid days I can safely say I'd ONLY use it for the slow motion capabilities, which is what I hired it for and what I'd hire it for again. It's ergonomically, and in terms of menu design, a bit of a pig. The shape makes no bloody sense at all.

[quote name='TC' timestamp='1346245032' post='16800']But what next from Canon? C200: same electronics again, but 35Mbps for $12,000? C50: same electronics again, but plastic body and no clean HDMI out for $5000?
[/quote]

Ha. One can only wonder.

For what you are getting at that price point, I am not sure why anyone would choose this over the Black Magic.

c100 looks like as a decent camera and should be priced 2000$ less...
why would anybody choose c100 over BMC ...
video guys who are comfortable with avchd workflow and don't do lot of color correction ....
gearheads : BMC sensor is to small and they need extreme shallow DOF to express their artistic vision ... :)

I really try NOT to see the shortcomings of an upcoming camera and rather focus on its good features, but I can´t stop thinking about
Canon´s "post5DMII accident" roadmap as a "greedy businessplan" rather than a technological roadmap.
Every company is out there to make money, I use a camera to make money, all good.
But the features determining a 50% price cut/difference between quite similar products from the same company just are kind of "offending" to me.
But hey, take it or leave it I guess... ;)