This setup could cause lens envy!

Dan Banici

Andrew's guide is absolutely fantastic. I got my hands on this huge Kollmorgen-Kosaka 298 before I bought the EOSHD Anamorphic guide, and I had to frankenstein a way to make it work; this is what i ended up with, and it works decent. The front of the M42 Yashica Yashinon / Vivitar lens matches within 1-2 mm the back diameter of the Kollmorgen anamorphic lens, so I can use full zoom range with no corner artifacts.

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/21053/503da498aa33d_S1370018.jpg[/img]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 months later...
I'm using the Vivitar 75-260mm with step up ring 67-72 and the Vid-Atlantic XL clamp. Indeed, inconvenient and extremely heavy to use.

It looks impressive and it is the subject of talks and questions, but as I've been at it for a while now, and I made more mistakes than anyone reading the EOSHD guide ever should (sorry, just stubborn) I now have two EOS cameras with identical 135mm lens and Ishico Proskars and step-down adapters (no clamp required) for two camera shoots. The huge lens was unable to focus close, but with the 135mm and Proskar at 2 meter distance I get an extreme close-up.

[quote name='Dan Banici' timestamp='1351564429' post='20563']
The footage from this lens looks decent, very "cinematic" but it carries the inconvenience of having to work with a smaller anamorphic to get your close-up and medium shots.
[/quote]

Got any samples? I am mostly curious because I have yet to see a telephoto/anamorphic combo in action like the one that you have.

a 135mm taking lens is a superb choice for close ups. as long as you can get back a few metres from your subject you can get beautiful close ups with very shallow depth of field. outdoors, I expect a 85mm lens to be optimal for an all round lens for use without the need for diotpers. you can get in quite close or move away from your subject to get a wider field of view. i'm looking at a schacht 85mm f2.8 with 19 aperture blades for this exact job

That's very funny Rich, as i was looking at Schacht the other day - there's a macro 100mm f3.3 & a normal 90mm f2.8, that come highly recommended. Unfortunately they have a price tag to go with them.

I've got the Meyer Orestor 100mm f2.8 (15 blade version & tiny) that is v.sharp & produces really great images - cheaper too.

Not much beats the Tair 11a (but its a 135mm), but i've seen really good things done with the Isco 180mm - stunning quality.

It's amazing that people never really talk about the benefits of using longer lenses with anamorphics - they're a must have.

I've realised that Diopters are great time savers if you don't want to change taking lens.
I'm working on a short at the moment that is made up, nearly exclusively, of close-ups - a Sergio Leone type homage (there's a short test clip on my vimeo page).

[quote name='Bioskop.Inc' timestamp='1351597240' post='20604']

I've realised that Diopters are great time savers if you don't want to change taking lens.

[/quote]

i'd like to buy 3 more iscoramas and never have to remove them from a taking lens again. one for each focal length. 35, 50, 85 and 135

re diopters I have been thinking about a +1.6, +2 and a +3.5 achro, but thats the best part of a grand£ for the three.

Yes, that would be the perfect set up to have, but need to win the lottery first!
I'm having to re-think my taking lenses at the moment, might be Takumars all the way for me now.

Hold off on buying any diopters for a while.
Been asked if i'd test out some diopters for someone. Knowing the person, they sound as if they are going to be excellent quality (some will be vintage achromats) & really interesting strengths.

How close do you want to get?! Eyeball close ups! Or is it other anatomy parts you're interested in! lol

Try mix & matching, stacking diopters. If you have the +0.4, put that on first & then add others on top - it will slightly correct any CA caused by the others, if they are singlets.
Don't get too obsessed with Achromats. I have a singlet +0.9-ish & it is pretty damn close, CA/quality wise, to the +0.4 Achromat.
The Sigma (no markings of strength, but its a +1.6) in a gold box for £10-15 works great on its own or in combo with the +0.4 - the shallow DOF it gives you hides any CA to uneducated/trained eye.