SLR Magic 12mm Step Up Ring...?

John D

Has anyone used an aftermarket 58/77 step up ring for the slr magic hyperprime 12mm lens? I'm getting the lens soon and don't really want to spend $80 + shipping for their proprietary ring.

Clearly there are lots of cheapies and Heliopan makes a thin brass version (still pricey @ $47) but I'm not sure if it's worth it either. I just want to make sure that the ring I get won't cause vignetting with an added filter (ND or other) without paying the crazy premium for the slr magic ring.

Any advice?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I have the SLR Magic 12mm and also the Heliopan step up ring. There is very slight vignetting at the corners with the step up ring attached. This happens with out any filter attached. It seems like it's caused by the lens opening part of the step up ring since it extends the 58mm opening forward a bit. I hope that makes sense. I wonder if the SLR Magic ring vignettes the same way. If you want to see examples, I can snap a few. Let me know.

Thanks so much for your reply. With such a great lens, I would have thought more people would have figured out solutions to this problem. If you don't mind posting a couple of shots, that would be great - just to get an idea of what it would look like. What I find interesting is that the SLR Magic ring is also listed as their "lens hood." I can't really picture how it could function well as a lens hood without causing more vignetting, but I haven't been able to find any images of the ring or shots made with the ring attached. Hopefully the Heliopan will work well enough to just go with it. Thanks again!

Here are some photos I took. Let me know if you have any questions about the photos. This lens vignettes at f1.6 and even f4 without a step up ring, which I like, but at f11 you can really see the step up ring. Oh, and I also took some photos to show you how the ring looks attached to the lens.

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/51051652@N05/sets/72157631310459714/[/media]

Thanks so much for taking the time to post those photos. They are extremely helpful! Given the slight vignetting without the ring it seems like a very small difference when the ring is on there as well. For the kind of work that I do, the slight vignette shouldn't be an issue in most contexts and might actually add a nice quality. Heliopan it is! Thanks again!!! :)