New features added to the Blackmagic Cinema Camera, shipping to commence in two weeks

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[media]http://vimeo.com/48091268[/media]

Shipping in 'a sizeable volume' of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera is due to start in 1-2 weeks time.

In addition, Dan Chung reports, new features such as a double-tap punch-in focus assist and ISO 200 have been added.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Im a guy who plans to go back to school while trying to create stories on the side, if this camera claims to be what it is then im incredibly excited. I dont have alot of extra money, im planing on getting a GH2 by the end of the year because it suit my needs as a person delving into this field more seriously in the future. By next year I plan on actually getting this as an upgrade(If it proves to be true of what it claims to be). My point is that I cant be spending money on a high end camera or incredible gear/rigs. I need one that is versatile, more bang for buck, and this seems like the next logical step. While saving next year I'll be honing my craft with a GH2 in preparation, just to get my head around the concepts of light and composition. Im glad this is going to hit the market, I hope it shakes thing up in the indie market. I cant wait!

Really love the idea of this camera but wish it wasn't so much of a 'B' camera ergonomically. I'd love a more hand held body as I can't see this being usable without buying a lot of extras. But I still love what they have done and the footage out of it looks fantastic and the price is amazing.

So, what budget would you need to get going? All I have are a set of 4/3 lensen.
To me this seems an costly investment, not that the camera is expensive but to me it seems the camera is 'just' a box, right?
Am I correct that the following is needed as a minimum?[list]
[*]A good EF lens. Biggest investment (Will the camera read my aperture and such?)
[*]SSD drive(s). (Have they become so cheap? 256 gb for $200?)
[*]...?
[/list]
It's unfortunate the camera doesn't allow for 50p or 60p, even if it would have been 720p or 1080p, but then again it's the 1st revision. Also The camera *looks* as if it's not weather proof in anyway. Hopefully it's sturdy enough for regular shoots.

That being said...this is a revolutionary camera and I'm glad it's coming from a company like black magic.

[quote name='XXX' timestamp='1345798122' post='16385']
It looks like someone at Microsoft wanted to design sth for Apple. Anyways´s, I couldn´t care less if the final image out of the BMC delivers what was promised.
[/quote]

Care to elaborate more?

[quote name='Xiong' timestamp='1345788507' post='16374']
Im a guy who plans to go back to school while trying to create stories on the side, if this camera claims to be what it is then im incredibly excited. I dont have alot of extra money, im planing on getting a GH2 by the end of the year because it suit my needs as a person delving into this field more seriously in the future. By next year I plan on actually getting this as an upgrade(If it proves to be true of what it claims to be). My point is that I cant be spending money on a high end camera or incredible gear/rigs. I need one that is versatile, more bang for buck, and this seems like the next logical step. While saving next year I'll be honing my craft with a GH2 in preparation, just to get my head around the concepts of light and composition. Im glad this is going to hit the market, I hope it shakes thing up in the indie market. I cant wait!
[/quote]

You'll have to get a good set of lenses also if you don't have any. Don't only think about the brain, think about the eyes too.

Dan Chung seems like a really good down to earth, 'nitty gritty' type guy. I like his interview style. never too optimistic, never worried about being honest and straight to the point. Seems like he gets a lot of good and honest info out of these guys.

• Administrators
[quote name='tehgeek' timestamp='1345790944' post='16377']
Really love the idea of this camera but wish it wasn't so much of a 'B' camera ergonomically. I'd love a more hand held body as I can't see this being usable without buying a lot of extras. But I still love what they have done and the footage out of it looks fantastic and the price is amazing.
[/quote]

How is it different ergonomically to a DSLR? If you need to a rig a DSLR you will need to rig this. The only thing you need extra is a battery base plate. You can still hold it barebones like a DSLR or put it on a tripod.

[/quote]

In your case you're better off spending the extra money on lenses, sound equipment, etcetera.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1345816296' post='16407']
How is it different ergonomically to a DSLR?[/quote]A DSLR is designed to be handheld with a sculpted body & handy rubberised bits to grip. This BMCC is shaped like a small toaster with zero attention to ergonomics.

• Administrators
The DSLR is designed to be handheld only for stills. Video handheld with it is jittery and rubbish looking. The Blackmagic camera may lack a rubberised grip out of the box but it is a heavier camera, so it may actually even be less wobbly in two hands than a lighter smaller camera.

The Alexa is also a brick. Nobody complains about that do they?

Actually they do - those who think it is too heavy, especially front heavy, and are considering going for a Blackmagic rig for handheld work to save their arms. (The Alexa is not great for handheld work just as Rodney Charters on Shameless)

[quote name='cybervand' timestamp='1345810688' post='16399']
You'll have to get a good set of lenses also if you don't have any. Don't only think about the brain, think about the eyes too.
[/quote]
Yup, I read uup enough to know that its more then the body ;)
[quote name='moebius22' timestamp='1345818510' post='16409']
In your case you're better off spending the extra money on lenses, sound equipment, etcetera.
[/quote]
If things go well next year then I can work it out, im more worried with lighting equipment. Should start with simple lights to test some light theories. Sound wont be to much of an issue, Ive seen some that fall under m budget.

Yeah, im guna have to look into lenses to try and avoid that 'video' effect from the GH2, but thats why im reading everything I can :D

[/quote]

If you're are fully funding your own stories, this camera will be a great tool.
If you're just trying to hit some festivals to pitch your story talents for outside funding of a full length feature, just grab a GH2 or 60D.
It seem the better the resolution and pro look of anyones video, should be equally matched with production design, along with director skill.
It's easier to forgive the guy who did a okay job with a t2i and blast the guy who was mediocre who shot on Red.

[quote name='cybervand' timestamp='1345810688' post='16399']
[/quote]

And in this case each of the "eyes" on the BMC footage we've seen are more expensive than the camera ($4000 for Zeiss CP).

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1345821234' post='16412']
Actually they do - those who think it is too heavy, especially front heavy, and are considering going for a Blackmagic rig for handheld work to save their arms. (The Alexa is not great for handheld work just as Rodney Charters on Shameless)
[/quote]

The Alexa and pretty much any other camera is much more vertically stable than the BMC. This puts the BMC at a big disadvantage for handheld shots. But with all the money you save you can buy yourself all the stabilization equipment you would want.

• Administrators
[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1345823666' post='16417']The Alexa and pretty much any other camera is much more vertically stable than the BMC. This puts the BMC at a big disadvantage for handheld shots. But with all the money you save you can buy yourself all the stabilization equipment you would want.[/quote]

Haha, seriously you try handling both the Alexa and BMC handheld with no rigging. You won't get far.

Both are designed as picture making boxes, the BMC being smaller and lighter has the more flexibility with rigging, in my opinion. Hardly a disadvantage for handheld work.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1345823816' post='16418']
Both are designed as picture making boxes, the BMC being smaller and lighter has the more flexibility with rigging, in my opinion. Hardly a disadvantage for handheld work.
[/quote]

The weight on the Alexa is distributed front to back, and you can put it over your shoulder. The BMC's weight is distributed side to side. But clearly it shouldn't cost much to get rigging that redistributes the BMC weight so that it's overall lightness works to its advantage.