Sony full frame video cameras coming with universal lens mount

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sony-full-frame-video-camera.jpg[/img]

If this [url="http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-first-e-mount-full-frame-cameras-are-high-end-camcorders-nex-7-alike-cameras-in-2013/"]rumour[/url] at SAR is true it could turn the industry on its head.

Sony is about to wage war on the Super 35mm format, and wage a war on pros being locked into one line of lenses.

Their higher end video cameras are going full frame with a mirrorless mount.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I can't wait for next month!

Hopefully the announcment of the A99 and Gh3 will put in to perspective the fate of my 5D3.
My only dislike about sony is their products (on the prosumer level) don't look filmic but very video looking.
Keeping fingers crossed that both cameras have a log/flat picture profile.

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1345565248' post='16141']
Big sensors jus't arn't enough. You need to downsample. I think it's what makes the c300 stand out.
[/quote]

The c300 doesn't "downsample"... the processor it uses from 5 years ago it has isn't powerfull enough, or even made for that. It simply reads multiple photo-sites on the sensor. As far as tjhe processing is comncerned, it's comes of the chip as a 1920x1080 image. The GH2 and Sony FS100 actually come off the sensor as 4k-5k images and are downsampled with software... this is much better. The detail on the C300 has always looked video-like to me for this reason. It looks like nothing more than a XF100 with a larger imaging plane. I don't think it stands out at all.

hmmm, i´m not sure if s35 will be abandoned for cine style cameras. after all it´s cinema we´re after and not dslr look. nobody in hollywood can really use the breathing of a photographic lens even on a ff sensor. they will not want to shoot on anything less than cooke and zeiss.

also 4k should look good on s35 since it basically means a 12mp sensor, which should make for pretty good low light performance. i don´t think a FF video camera with s35 crop mode makes a lot of sense either. maybe for prosumer, but which prosumer has pl glass. and why waste all this sensor space. why pay for a ff sensor if you only plan to use the crop mode for your hogh grade lenses? a crop mode only makes sense in a photo camera where you typically use the full frame, but have the crop mode for range extension without post in pp.

and i don´t expect any real advance in image quality from sony to be cheaper than the f3 is today. the a99 will be a photo camera first and foremost and i think it´s unlikely they turn it into a VG99. they are still the company which charged insane amounts of money for their HDCAM format just because they could and before that for beta and digibeta.

it´s really funny that you are surprised that there´s so many sony news on a blog you write yourself.

[quote name='nickname' timestamp='1345596690' post='16173']
and i don´t expect any real advance in image quality from sony to be cheaper than the f3 is today.
[/quote]

Why? The sensors in the up-coming Sony DSLRs are already leagues ahead of the F3. Photo-tech just has quicker development cycles. Any new Sony DSLR with video mode, assuming they don't intentionaly cripple it, will most likley have better performance than the F3. It's just how technology goes.

I think Sony is actually wising up to that fact that people aren't all dumb enough to pay the outrageous prices, for something like an F3, when it's obvious that the same techology in a camera can be had for under $3000. They MAY be ahead of the curve on this. Nikon is trying and making commendable efforts... and Canon is about 5 years behind the curve and out thier damn minds.

• Administrators
[quote name='nickname' timestamp='1345596690' post='16173']it´s really funny that you are surprised that there´s so many sony news on a blog you write yourself.[/quote]

I don't set the news agenda, I just report what is hot. Sony is hot at the moment. I'm surprised, since their past history consisted of a lot of overpriced stuff and no 24p on their DSLRs. A fantastic turn around in just 1 year. We've had the FS100, NEX 5N, NEX 7, Alpha A77, now we shall look forward to genuinely ground breaking stuff like the full frame video camera and hybrid stills / video A99 return to full frame DSLRs. They also have 4K TVs in the pipeline, are ruling the CMOS sensor supply chain, have provided Nikon and Olympus with some of the best photographic sensors on the market and have some genuinely exciting technology coming out, so yes I am surprised.

By comparison, Canon have...

Rehashed an APS-C sensor in 5 cameras, split all the interesting stuff off into $15,000+ Cinema EOS cameras completely out of reach for most people, and not innovated enough with their mirrorless offering.

I really have enjoyed reading this blog. I've been on a ten year hiatus from filmmaking. I started shooting Super8 film and tried to work my way up to larger film formats but in the end debt on my credit card became too much. The recent advances in affordable video cameras has pulled me back in. I haven't bought a new camera yet. It seems that in one year there will be several great options for under $4k. This is the best blog I've found that offers both updates on new technology as well as great insight. Thanks for all the work keeping this blog going! I, for one, greatly appreciate it.

[quote name='Greg' timestamp='1345564799' post='16140']
Eventually we are all going to have to come to terms with the fact that video looks like video.
[/quote]

And maybe, hopefully, eventually develop a new and exiting look without trying so desperately hard to make it look like film. Some new photographers are finding exiting new ways of expression which were impossible with film/darkroom... I hope the same will happen with video. Now ducking and running for cover :ph34r:

[quote name='bwhitz' timestamp='1345600596' post='16176']
Why? The sensors in the up-coming Sony DSLRs are already leagues ahead of the F3. Photo-tech just has quicker development cycles. Any new Sony DSLR with video mode, assuming they don't intentionaly cripple it, will most likley have better performance than the F3. It's just how technology goes.

I think Sony is actually wising up to that fact that people aren't all dumb enough to pay the outrageous prices, for something like an F3, when it's obvious that the same techology in a camera can be had for under $3000. They MAY be ahead of the curve on this. Nikon is trying and making commendable efforts... and Canon is about 5 years behind the curve and out thier damn minds.
[/quote]

well, why does the f3 then look so much better than the sub $3000 7d and gh2 in the latest zacuto shootout?

i still think that a dedicated video sensor will produce better results as a stills/video hybrid. and i think sony knows that they will not sell enough a99s to offset losing higher end camera business if it really produced better video.

i´m afraid that canons business model will prove right in the end. low quality for the consumers, high quality for the ones who are willing to pay for it. the 5dmkii, which started all this, was an accident they will no let happen again. the consumers don´t have a choice, they will buy what´s around. only the enthusiasts are left out in the rain.

i have been waiting for real advances in image quality in photo sensors the last 5 years. all i´ve seen is an increase in resolution and low light performance, which i´m not really interested in, but only a marginal better dynamic range which is for me the showstopper for digital mediums. i am actually very frustrated with this development. if i had the money i would get a 16bit medium format back which at the moment produces the only digital images i can accept visually. but i don´t so i have to sit it out another 10 years i´m afraid.
the last sony sensors are nice for sure (d7000, d800) the nicest yet produced in the prosumer price range, but they still don´t make me happy.

Hey It's digital. This whole "cinema" camera adjective is the culmination of a bunch of companies catering to consumer demands so they don't become another statistic in a bad economy... Doesn't make up for a $15,000 1DX, but it explains the reason it was made... The technology's out there. The purpose in digital acquisition when it comes to filmmakers. is to allot them the freedom they need for a faster turn around. Most guys shooting on Red and such, have a dailie's reel that evening.. Though I love the idea of shooting on film, I don't have the "Nolan" budget to get a celluloid reel that evening...
Most don't and you really have to earn your stripes to get to that level.
With the right amount of processing power, these cameras can probably do anything. On specs alone, Sony shot the Zacuto test barebones with the F65 as a big middle finger to everybody pretty much... It really is a bad motherf---er. That's a camera that won't keep Sony in business though... An F65 for under $3000 will.... And then it will dominate the market... And then there won't be any worries until somebody brings out a better camera for less.

Viscious cycle. :)