Sony NEX mirrorless full frame model on the horizon?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='cybervand' timestamp='1345216199' post='15906']
There were/are quite large over-heating problems with the 5n. With a even larger sensor how will they fix it?
[/quote]

99% of shooting situations will not suffer from overheating during video mode. whether or not this overheats after 9mins, I dont care.

Also, with respect to covering that full frame sensor.. Easy! I'd just put some good quality MF lenses by Zeiss for the contax, rollei and m42 mount on there. Id consider the OM lenses, the MD lenses, The old Nikons and Canon FD's and in particular also start looking at the more rare schneider m42's and the hyper rare rodenstock glass for the m42 fitment.

I had a couple of the schneiders Curtagon, Xenon, Xenar in m42 - very cinematic looking lenses. I sold them straight away due to not matching zeiss in sharpeness. I wish i'd kept them though. the images were very beautiful

Sony has nothing to loose right now, their consumer ship (TV related stuff) is sinking. So they put out the RX100, it just feels natural to follow that route withe the bigger cams. And although they have to protect their still well going broadcast segment, they can´t ignore the market created by the 5DII anymore. You just cannot undo the fact that former ENG camera users switched to DSLRs. This also means the market has switched to buying rather than renting/leasing. People hesitating to buy a EX1 with cards, dedicated reader and an ENG tripod and rather rent when they need one, will spend half that price on a good videoDSLR - and are happy to be able to take great pictures of their loved ones too with it ;)
People working for broadcasters or with another fixed/limited workflows will still buy the Sony broadcast line. Rant over;)

The game is changing fast, that's for sure. If this becomes reality, the next question is wether they will move the FS line over to this full frame mount. I could see it going either way. If they make the next FS full frame, it may be enough of an upgrade to give them one more model before they have to think about giving it RAW capabilities. They may, however, make the argument that as a small cinema type camera, the FS line will remain Super 35 . . . in which case I think they'll have to go RAW with that line pretty quick to stay on top of their game. Either way, the next FS cam will be in prime position to kill the current EOS cinema line. Canon needs to either jump in or jump out pretty quick.

I think FS will stay Super 35, and will be compatible with all the lenses for NEX FF as well (without a adapter). S35 is still ideal for cinema, it's what the market wants and what the competition is doing. The niche that demands Vista vision/FF could be served with a hybrid DSLR like the 1DC used as a supplementary camera with their NEX FS. Then again, if anyone's going to put out a serious, affordable full frame cinema camera it's Sony. They're doing a tremendous job of recognising the way that consumer/prosumer tastes have been shaped by the HDSLR revolution.

A RAW S35 NEX would be amazing. It's only the logical way to respond to Black magic, yet conservative companies like Canon will no doubt drag their feet with their expensive options for as long as possible before bowing to demand for that sort of product.

I like that Sony is out for blood. Their consumer electronics are tanking, but their cameras are ever evolving. But don't think that Sony is going to let their proprietary uber-expensive ENG cameras go to waste. Remember that all these new cams will still be limited by the codec and that compression will be the killer deal. If Someone 1.00 can crack the NEX code, then we're talking. Otherwise these cams will still be limited. I hope Chrad is right and that a NEX S35 sensor with RAW is coming soon, but I doubt it. We're still talking Sony here...

[quote name='cybervand' timestamp='1345216199' post='15906']
There were/are quite large over-heating problems with the 5n. With a even larger sensor how will they fix it?
[/quote]

If you're using a Sony Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo there'll be no overheating. Period.

• 2 weeks later...