John Brawley long interview on the BMDCC

Bruno

[media]http://vimeo.com/47445828[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/47583711[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/47583710[/media]
[media]http://vimeo.com/47583709[/media]

It's finally confirmed, rolling shutter is a feature, which is weird if they're using the rumoured Beyer Dynamics sensor, as that one has a global shutter mode. If that's indeed the sensor, it would make a lot of sense to use that mode, or even better, have the option to go between the global shutter mode at 24/25/30fps and the 60fps rolling shutter mode it's capable of, but it probably isn't even using that sensor.

I'm starting to pend more and more towards the Digital Bolex, at first I thought the BMD camera would totally wipe them out, but as things progress, I'm starting to really appreciate Joe and Elle's efforts to tweak the original camera concept according to clients/community feedback in order to make it the best S16 digital camera possible, whereas the BMD people have pretty much locked the features list as soon as they announced it, addressing important issues like the mount, internal battery, or phantom power as something we "might definitely see on a future model", that's not what I want to hear when buying a new product really.

The replaceable mounts, CCD and XLR inputs are definitely a big plus on the digital Bolex, form factor looks like it might be a bit clunky, but of course in the end it will all come down to each camera's image quality. Or some new generation DSLR for 1/3 of the price that will make this revolution even more interesting! :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
How many times is rolling shutter really a problem? Not that often in my opinion. John said in the interview that it is no worse than the GH2 and 5D any way. True the sensor probably has a global shutter mode but the image quality won't be as good in that mode - likely much noisier with less dynamic range. Look at the current specs of scientific sensors - global shutter mode always worse. This is why Panasonic haven't brought theirs to the market yet.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1345209369' post='15890']
How many times is rolling shutter really a problem? Not that often in my opinion. John said in the interview that it is no worse than the GH2 and 5D any way. True the sensor probably has a global shutter mode but the image quality won't be as good in that mode - likely much noisier with less dynamic range. Look at the current specs of scientific sensors - global shutter mode always worse. This is why Panasonic haven't brought theirs to the market yet.
[/quote]

In my handheld style, it's been problem in every single project really.
Being no worse than a 5D or a GH2 is not a good thing really, it's one of the basic issues, and I hoped they would get it finally fixed, it's about time someone does!

• Administrators
It's a very complex thing to fix especially in a cheaper camera, the BMD already has a refrigerated sensor to cope with 2.5k raw, doubling the scan speed of the sensor would considerably increase cost, cooling requirements and power consumption.

I'd say it will be around 2 years before the scan gets considerably faster on DSLRs, and 4 years before global shutter comes along to anything under $30,000.

Rolling shutter isn't an issue when it comes the pans and the like i find, the stretching just feels natural in some way, accentuated.... what I [i]hate [/i]about rolling shutter is the fact that it can stop things looking like the frame by frame capture of film. That slight gelatinous wobble between frames gives away that you shot on CMOS, no matter how much post you do. Even Warp Stabiliser or Mercalli don't always kill the worst of it. It's such a drag :( and you gotta have a good rig and a lot of practice with said rig to get rid of it on shoot.

So tech wise you can eliminate it by either using global shutter CMOS, CCD or a mechanical shutter (like F65) and all of these have drawbacks. The global makes a lot more heat so you get the quality tradeoffs you've mentioned here, and CCDs can fall foul to a number of quirks of their own. Or you can make your normal CMOS sensor really small then it's not so much of an issue (like the HX9V).

Boo to rolling shutter :(

Soon enough we'll be able to compare the BMD camera with the Digital Bolex and see what's the advantages you gain in trade for the crappy rolling shutter...

When you have still photo cameras with rolling shutter issues I can kind of let it go, they weren't meant for it, but once you start calling it a video camera, or even worse, a cinema camera, than it is just not acceptable.

Video cameras from 10 years ago didn't have this problem, let's not start taking it for granted just because still cameras have it!