Sony NEX-Hack update - 1st camera purchased for Someone1.00

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/nex-hack.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.nex-hack.com/index.php/topic/1109-update-success-first-camera-purchase/"]Read the full update at EOSHD NEX-Hack.com[/url]

Today myself and Malcolm of Magic Lantern were able to transfer $700 to Someone1.00 to buy his first test body from the NEX-Hack.com donations fund.

We are well on the path to improvements in video image quality and features on the Sony NEX and Alpha cameras.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Thanks for the sharing the update, but the thing I would like to understand more is: if nearly $1000 is raised, why only $700 has been transfered?

"[b]The difference in image quality is actually not huge between the un-hacked GH2 and factory GH2."[/b]

I visit this site quite often because this site offers unique perspectives, not distorted ones. Now, I am a bit uncertained... There are so many of your previous articles praise the hack, and how the hack makes a huge difference... suddently, it is underplayed, potentially because it's done by someone with whom you disagree...

I wrote because I care about this site... and since you are asking people to donate money in good faith. I think it's just fair to provide some general ideas how the money will be distributed (beside buying cameras), for example, among EOSHD, someone1.00, and MagicLantern (since you have also included Malcolm in the article), etc. If the current focuses are on 1st gen NEX, maybe people can donate cameras instead of cash... or sell their cameras @ a discount...

[quote name='apiece' timestamp='1345079572' post='15783']
I visit this site quite often because this site offers unique perspectives, not distorted ones. Now, I am a bit uncertained... There are so many of your previous articles praise the hack, and how the hack makes a huge difference... suddently, it is underplayed, potentially because it's done by someone with whom you disagree...
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure Andrew doesn't mean it in _that_ way.

I think he's saying the GH2 is pretty awesome even without the hack - still, the hack makes a big difference. But it's the difference from very good to great.

The difference with a unhacked and hacked Sony potentially could be much bigger. But that's just because the Sony's aren't that good for video from the starting point (and the GH2 is).

• Administrators
[quote name='Julian' timestamp='1345103630' post='15792']
I'm pretty sure Andrew doesn't mean it in _that_ way.

I think he's saying the GH2 is pretty awesome even without the hack - still, the hack makes a big difference. But it's the difference from very good to great.[/quote]

Correct.

• Administrators
[quote name='muddmanrich' timestamp='1345098044' post='15790']Granted, it wasn't the best but no one is perfect. One can only take so much.[/quote]

[b]The $300 is going toward the next camera purchase once more donations come in. Also I think there should be a reserve pot in the account for a rainy day in case an un-planned purchase needs to be made immediately.[/b]

I said it tongue in cheek, so sense of humour is required and you are right about me being rather fed up with the grumbling and lack of trust.

I've been totally transparent over at NEX-Hack about how the funds are being used and it is 100% up to Someone1.00 to decide how he spends them. Malcolm and I are offering advice. Malcolm as part of Magic Lantern has years of experience in coordinating donations and hack projects to get the most out of the dev team.

It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest I am taking a cut of money from a donations pot. Where is the thanks for helping raise $1000 for the hacker and building him a community? I don't understand you people sometimes.

Makes me angry, this lack of trust.

humor....?

Guess people should view such incident as by-products of someone.100's indecision: first collaborated with Vitaly with an entire site setup, and suddenly get "kidnapped" by $$$$. If it's for the community, why couldn't everyone collaborate together???? Now, Vitaly has even removed the nex-hack topic from his main site. So we should thank you and start to question someone1.00's integrity???? If we go through his comments on http://nex-hack.com... he nagged so much about not having controls of how his name is mentioned, and didnt get the $$$$ earlier... then, you should ask him why he couldnt be more thankful!!

If Vitaly will not be involved technically, I am sure the whole project will suffer... so hope that wont be the scenario.

• Administrators
Apiece, as a member 'since yesterday' according to the forum it seems your whole reason for coming on here is to be disruptive. Your message above apiece is pure unadulterated hostile bullshit.

You need to go and read the threads at NEX-Hack and understand the situation better. The community here began before Vitaliy's site. He is free to choose whichever community is the most productive for the hack.

Malcolm and I are looking at progress meters for the donations towards targets set by Someone1.00 [url="http://www.nex-hack.com/topic/1096-donate/page__st__80"]http://www.nex-hack....te/page__st__80[/url]

A lot of people who can help technically have come forward so far. Vitaliy can still be involved I'm not stopping him at all. Nobody is hijacking anything. Vitaliy has his hands full with the GH2, I don't think he has the time to manage two projects at once. Do you?

I spoke up since yesterday because I think what's going on is not right. who is bullshiting... readers understand better. "hijacking" domain/other's efforts are not my own words, and I do not intend to continue the argument. By now, I am sure people understand better what's going on than I do...

Sooo, let me see if I get this right...

With this NEX-HACK I will be able to shoot my hookers with an even beter video quality?
Amazing!!

:)

the way camera manufacturers behave its probably better to go out and spend money on hoez than on photo gear.
Im still waiting for the day the bell rings and we all rush to Canon factory in the name of revolution and shove those 3year old 5D2 in their rear. Advance biatchez, advanceeee

[quote name='apiece' timestamp='1345130557' post='15815']
I spoke up since yesterday because I think what's going on is not right. who is bullshiting... readers understand better. "hijacking" domain/other's efforts are not my own words, and I do not intend to continue the argument. By now, I am sure people understand better what's going on than I do...
[/quote]

The funds have come from the effort of eoshd and its members. Without a series of other cameras for Someone1.00 to work on there wont be a hack other than the a55. Someone1.00 kindly offered to perform his groundbreaking work on other cameras, for no financial gain. In return he is being provided with the platform to do so, administrated by EOSHD and donations coming from its user base.. The people have spoken. You are in the minority here. Your effort to sign up and be openly negative can only be for non constructive reasons. I imagine now Someone 1.00 has another camera to hack he will soon open it up and make public his procedure as he has done with the A55. At this point if the camera turns out to be a more popular model, then i look forward to seeing hacks from numerous talented guys in the online film maker and photography community. At this point I hope Someone1.00 might work alongside guys like Vitaliy and the other well respected people in the field. This EOSHD administration and publicity initiative is sure to push progress forward faster and more efficiently than if the project were within a more elitist forum full of more technical minded people who are less likely to find the hack worth donating for. If it had not been for the eoshd donation system Someone1.00 would still only be dealing with the A55 - a camera less popular amongst the online film maker community due to its inability to accept such a broad range of old lenses as the nex range can for example. Once an nex3 or nex5n are opened up, and hopefully improvements are made, this is an amazing move forward for those who are in the £600-1000 bracket for cameras instead of the £2500-3500 bracket.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1345149100' post='15833']
You are in the minority here. Your effort to sign up and be openly negative can only be for non constructive reasons. [/quote]

The reason I signed up was to bring awareness. I apologize if my comments appear to be non-constructive, but I know I am not the minority, and you know it too. Because you also participate in the other site, and you know someone1.00 is frustrated due to the conflict of interests.

Again, Andrew's efforts are amazing in raising the $$$ and drawing awareness to the project, but could those be good enough reasons to justify all the negative claims/acts? Vitaly was in the process of setting up the funds for the project too... just one could raise $$$ money faster, does that warrant one to have the rights to hijack others' previous/ongoing efforts? Again, I do not think this site is entirely at fault, as I mentioned. Someone.100's indecision would be part of it.

If people only care about end results, i.e. the hack. Sure, my comments are not "contructive", but if people do care the process of getting to the end results, i.e. the ethics, the morale, I can say I am "contributing" to the awareness of that aspect of the project as well.