5D MkIII: Milder AA filter by third party possible?

hoju

Hi,

This question is mainly directed at Andrew:

I've seen your tests in removing the AA filter on your 5D, and obviously, the results are sooooo much better.

So the question is, do you think a third party could make a milder filter to replace the original? Isn't it basically just a piece of glass? Don't you have the connections to make this happen? Heck, Bloom has his red Kessler dolly. Time for a Reid Replacement Reticulator? (Yeah, couldn't think of a better name...)

Being very serious here!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Initially we all thought removing the filter was a good idea.

It wasn't!

The increase in image quality was actually very minor. It took me a while to do a comparison and actually realise the truth.

Second, the procedure as a DIY mod was a nightmare. Very tricky and high risk so I don't recommend it.

Third, the filter is also an IR-cut. So you get IR contamination and purple blacks in your shots with certain subjects and lights. Even in normal daylight conditions the colour balance changes. Some would say for the better ;)

There are companies that replace the filter with a clear piece of glass to avoid the Fourth Problem - the damned back focus issue.

In the end it really is best to keep the 5D Mark III in stock condition, and sell it when the Sony A99 comes out if you're not satisfied with it as a serious video tool. Personally, it is well know I am not.

Thanks for the reply!

In looking at that comparison with the brick buildings in the background, I thought it was a pretty big difference. But it seems that others are thinking about a replacement glass filter too, so maybe a mild IR-coated replacement isn't too far off?

But if I do pick up the FS700, the A99 would complement it really well...

:)