Tokyo adventure / Fuji X100 / Tascam DR-5

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

They did actually have some very cheap 5D Mark IIs in Tokyo second hand. I resisted because I just don’t think a full frame sensor is worth losing the detailed image of the GH2 for, or the adaptability of its lens mount. These two together make more difference. Filmmaker is not all about shallow DOF, and in this respect the 5D is a one trick pony! I love the look of the 24mm F1.4 on it – that is about the only reason I’d choose it over the GH2, and since the SLR Magic and Olympus 12mm F2 have come along I am half way to heaven anyway, further reducing the need for a 5D Mark II for wides.

[/html]

Guest tjbates05
[html]

Fair enough – good points. My point was that IMHO the 5D could easily replace all 3 cameras mentioned above for walk around stills and video with the anti-aliasing filter – all in one body. Not quite a “one trick pony.” Obviously with any camera there are compromises – hence your finding that it makes more sense for you to carry a GH2 for video and the Fuji for stills. My comment was a little tongue-in-cheek as I’ve read enough of your website to understand where you stand. The 5D is the smallest body full-frame sensor DSLR that may ever exist. The MKIII may take on the 1DX body size – who knows. Full frame is very unique as you know, so I can’t imagine you haven’t thought of getting one especially as prices are tumbling.
I don’t think there is any need to defend the GH2. It too can easily be the one and only camera for stills and video. Check out Michael Reichmann’s website Luminous-landscape. The GH2 is a great camera and I’m thinking of getting one myself (not just for the “resolution” but because I love great cameras) – as soon as I see the official 25p firmware update. Fortunately for me, camera choice is not an either or thing. It’s clearly not for you either as your camera purchases prove. Really enjoy your website. Thanks a lot.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

The last time I owned a 5D Mark II, I dumped it for the GH1. I just don’t buy the 5D kool-aid with as much conviction as others. Really the image quality in video mode is not that wonderful. Again the only thing it is better at is stills, and that lovely full frame sensor when you want more shallow DOF, but shallow DOF is only one aspect of a cinematic image not the whole deal and it can be a pain to focus a fast lens on the 5D Mark II. With the GH2 you have extra margin and can even easily manually focus at F0.95 with a 50mm equivalent field of view – something that cannot be done on the 5D Mark II.

Again, I don’t disagree with you because you raise some good points and camera choice is meant to be personal.

Right camera for the person, and for the job, always…

[/html]

Guest digi2ap
[html]

I’ve been lurking for a while and very much enjoying the opinions and footage posted and shared on EOSHD. And while I’m saying hi, may I ask about the AT shotgun mic (model etc) you mention?

[/html]