Anyone have any lenses for sale?

Mondo

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has any anamorphic lenses for sale? Really trying to get in the swing of anamorphic shooting. I'm bidding on a few lenses on eBay, but I'd like to see what everyone else has to offer if those fall through.

Nothing that will break the bank either (which is hard to say considering most lens prices).

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hey Mondo, just a warning, don't go buying a lens like the one in the link above, it's a projector lens and ain't no good for shooting!

You're looking around $3 - 4,000 for an iscorama 36 (which seems to be what everyone is after) I'm looking to hire one not buy.

So if you're bidding on anything under $2,000 it's probably not worth bidding for?!

Hope that helps at all?

I'm bidding on a Sankor 16C right now as well as a Proskar 16B, but those have a few days left and I'm sure someone will snag em =P

Apart from the Isco, what do you recommend? I've been reading up a lot on crop factors and what not and I don't mind stretching (or squeezing?) in post so any solid anamorphic recommendations would be appreciated.

[quote name='Jimbawb' timestamp='1344617323' post='15273']
Hey Mondo, just a warning, don't go buying a lens like the one in the link above, it's a projector lens and ain't no good for shooting![/quote]

I respectfully disagree. I don't know about the lens above but my Hypergonar HiFi-2 is a 35mm film projection lens and though it is difficult to use (heavy, dual focusing, requires a diopter), I think that it creates a fantastic image; among the best that I have seen. I prefer it to Iscorama. No one uses these lenses to make their lives easier but I believe that the extra mile really goes a long way.

Here are some samples of the same subject that I shot in succession with some of my lenses that you may find to be helpful in your search:

[media]http://vimeo.com/42505123[/media]

I have some other videos up with footage from later acquisitions, and there are hundreds of them out there by other people as well. I'd recommend looking at as much footage as you can before making a decision. Good luck!

[quote name='Jimbawb' timestamp='1344617323' post='15273']
[i]Hey Mondo, just a warning, don't go buying a lens like the one in the link above, it's a projector lens and ain't no good for shooting![/i]

[/quote]

I respectfully disagree with you! I have sucessfully used these lenses for 7 years now!
this lens is stunning! it cost over $5000 , the lens was made reciently by Schneider in Germany to project 35mm Hollywood Blockbuster movies in multiplexes!
Its industrial quality stunningly sharp modern glass , focuses down to 10 feet with no diopter and is only 14cm long.

The images from this lens are Canon L Series quality!! super sharp superb glass!
This is not some 1970's 16mm old glass rubbish made for home cinema!

here is the Schneier only Tecnoir Cinema Rig

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/blackmore1/IMG_0011.jpg[/img]

I am not disputing the quality and optics of the lens (and certainly not getting into an argument) but I must ask Andy what stretch factor this lens produces? If it is standard then it is X2, which is technically unusable on a 16:9 sensor (as nice as your films look 'QuickHitRecord') for high-end festival and cinema work.

Now you could argue, 'okay who's making films for cinema on here?' well festival screens have the same standards and many would quickly reject a film shot at this insane aspect ratio of 3:55:1 (or similar) Plus many of the projector lenses have a minimum focal distance of 7 feet...meaning a lot of diopter juggling (if it's even possible on some?)

The main question is 'would general audiences be happy to watch a film where the majority of the whole pciture is filled with black?' the answer is probably not.

So Mondo, if you have an HD camera that shoots 4:3 natively then this lens could be perfect! In fact if thats true, you must tell us all which camera that is!! I shoot mainly with the Alexa now but I'm jumping back onto my trusted 7D for a short being shot in the coming months...main reason I'm searching for an Iscorama to hire!

Btw QuickHitRecord I purchased exactly the same lens a couple of years ago and gave up trying to use it on a 7D, for many of the reasons I mentioned above!

I think that by suggesting that the OP write off all anamorphic lenses except for the Iscoramas, you're making it evident that you have been missing out on a lot great anamorphic action. There are anamorphic lenses with a lot more character out there. Even the ultra-low budget filmmakers (and I fall into this category) can create great images with these.

[quote name='Jimbawb' timestamp='1344627091' post='15279']
The main question is 'would general audiences be happy to watch a film where the majority of the whole pciture is filled with black?' the answer is probably not.[/quote]

Agreed. I would not want to sit through a 3.55:1 feature. It IS better suited for short films.

[quote name='Jimbawb' timestamp='1344627091' post='15279']
So Mondo, if you have an HD camera that shoots 4:3 natively then this lens could be perfect! In fact if thats true, you must tell us all which camera that is!![/quote]

The GH2 can be hacked and made to record in 4:3 natively. The drawback is that the last time I checked, it was only available at 30 frames per second.

I am considering shooting a short film with a the Hypergonar because I like the look so much. I currently have it on a shoulder rig and with a +1 diopter I can focus between 3'9" and 4'3" (image attached). I focus with my legs; just walk in or out until I see pores. Difficult, but that just means that fewer people are going to try it -- and that makes it all the more appealing to me.

Envious of the Alexa. One day I will get there.

I step away for a few hours and I receive so much good advice! I've been watching these boards for a few months so I'm glad everyone could chime in!

I shoot on a GH2. I'm aware of the 2X cropped lenses working best with the 4:3 mode, but as stated above, 30p is not something I want for shooting anamorphic. I'll just have to keep digging until I find something that is within my budget.

As far as post, can't I crop the 3:55:1 image anyways to the aspect ratio I prefer? If I am shooting with a 2X lens while in 16:9 that is.

These Schneider and Isco lenses are stunningly sharp - Ilke nothing else out there, I would say optically as good as Panavision PL mount Anamorphic lenses for Arri etc.
Think about it logically.... Universal , Warner Bros etc spend $180 million on a feature film they get the best lenses possible to shoot thier movie...
do you really think they would let their $180 million dollar film get projected through inferior glass at a Multiplex Cinema ? ?
[b][i]No[/i][/b] of course they don't....... they use German made Schneider and Isco lenses to project their $180 million dollar film at the cinema ...
so it looks stunningly sharp just like they shot it for you .

these lenses cost over $5000 - $6500 EACH and they are much sharper than Iscoromas, Proskars, Sankors, Suns, Ruralscopes, Mostys etc etc.

I have been using these lenses for years now.

They mount onto my rig really well and are very easy to use and alot cheaper then chaising a over priced secondhand 1500 pound m42 Iscorama on ebay.

There are lots of stunning lenses out their... I have owned and tested over 100+ anamorphic lenses in my career and tried them all out.
Schneiders are King .....very very good.
They are optically the best Cinema anamorphics made as we are now in the final years of 35mm projection as Multiplexes and theatres switch to Digital Projectors and ditch their anamorphic lenses....the Schneiders are the final generation of super sharp Anamorphic projection lenses.

nuff said!!

what ever floats your boat eye say.
but the sankor 16f or 16c is so cute and cheap and small.
4.5 feet min focus with a hint of radioactive high index thorium in the glass and yummy old fashioned analogue era single layer Magnesium Fluoride coatings.
the sankors are the poor mans baby anamorphics

and if you are a man with a vision like this man hugo then small can be seriously lovely.

https://vimeo.com/45232457

a century 1609 adaptor(very easy to find-they pop up every few months), redstan filter thread adaptor and a tokina atx +0.4 can be had together for sub £500-600. Add a cheap 28mm taking lens and you got a very wide, usably sharp and 'single focus ring' anamorphic setup . the best bit? you get 2.35:1 on a 16:9 sensor with no cropping required.

I am yet to see a better value for money, simple to use, compact anamorphic combo. Its great because everyone desperately claws for the LA7200 and ignores the century 1609 adaptors. I saw a setup with 55mm mounting thread, and 3 diopters go for £350 a few months ago.

I love mine because I can actually carry it around on my camera all day.

not the best sharpness at below f4, but the benefits outweigh this imo.

When you say "not breaking the bank", what's your price range. I have a few anamorphics that I might consider letting go, but let me know what you're looking to pay. I'm based in the UK, which might be a pain in the arse for you.

I'm willing to take some test shots of whatever I let go of though, so you can feel confident you won't get a lemon.

Tim

I'm selling my very rare Henri Chretien Hypergonar Serie C made by S.T.O.P in Nice France for Twentieth Century Fox in 1952
This is lens no34 of 100 of the the first ever batch of Cinemascope lenses ever made , this is Pre Bausch and Lomb making cinemscope lenses.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230838034507?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230838034507?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649[/url]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/inline/19952/502940a3957c6_IMG_1621.jpg[/img]