Top sources say Sony developing full frame A99 as hybrid GH2-like DSLR targeting professional filmmakers

Andrew Reid

I'm sure you can keep all your Canon lenses.

I really hope the GH3 and the A99 are all we want them to be, but that won't be the end of Canon, it will just mean they can no longer hold off on keeping up with the technology and they will have to step up their game. If anyone has the technology to put up a good video DSLR, it's them, they just don't want to at the moment. Sony and Panasonic could be the ones who force them into finally doing it. BMD won't steal any of their consumer market, any enthusiast would be scared of large prores and raw files, no stills, etc, and those are the people who buy thousands of Canon cameras and make them so much money, the indie filmmakers are a small percentage of their clients.
Too many people invested too much on Canon glass and accessories, and even if they're pissed off at Canon now, the moment Canon finally releases a decent Canon DSLR, that's what most people will be getting, unless it happens too late of course....

They'll eventually have to give us good clean video quality on DSLRs and then add value to the high end products such as the C300 with "pro" features such as 4k, RAW, higher fps, xlr inputs, etc...

If the GH3 and A99 rumours are correct, this could happen sooner rather than later, and we'd all gain from it. Options are good!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='hoodlum' timestamp='1344530006' post='15210']
But the Mkiii was just released so it will be 2-3 years before Canon responds. A lot of people may decide not to wait especially when there is no guarantee that Canon will respond.
[/quote]

In response to getting their pants pulled down by Sony and Pani, maybe Canon will magically improve the video on the 5D3 with a firmware upgrade.

That would be hillarious.

[quote name='HurtinMinorKey' timestamp='1344531496' post='15213']
In response to getting their pants pulled down by Sony and Pani, maybe Canon will magically improve the video on the 5D3 with a firmware upgrade.

That would be hillarious.
[/quote]

And also pretty embarrassing for them :)

[quote name='sandro' timestamp='1344531450' post='15212']
I'll tell you what will actually destroy everyone. A GH3 with a bigger sensor and the same mount. Unbeatable quality and every single lens in the world usable!
[/quote]
Very unlikely Panasonic is going to leave the Micro Four Thirds format in the near future.

On the other hand, it seems quite likely Sony will come with a fullframe NEX (mirrorless) in the near future.
Rumours of that have been flying around for some time, and it makes sense.

A77 > NEX-7
A99 > NEX-9... (somewhere in 2013?)

That would defniately be great if the A99 is optimized for video.

[quote name='Julian' timestamp='1344533565' post='15215']
On the other hand, it seems quite likely Sony will come with a fullframe NEX (mirrorless) in the near future.
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. For one thing, all of Sony's E-Mount lenses are APS-C only.

I was watching a presentation on the NEX camera line and when asked about a full frame NEX the Sony official said there were currently no plans to make one, and he thought it was unlikely, mainly because the main point of those cameras is the compact design, and a huge full frame sensor would not really make sense.

It's a shame, but we're probably stuck dealing with the Alpha Mount for full frame cameras from Sony.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1344509841' post='15188']

GH3 and A99 have major possibility of providing far better image quality and all-round usability / featureset than any of the current favourites, be it FS100, Blackmagic Cinema Camera or 5D.

[/quote]

Care to elaborate on the GH3? Or are you sworn to secrecy at the moment?

"a full frame DSLR with equal emphasis on pro video and stills".

I'm not a Canon fan boy by any means, just want the best product, but what you describe sure sounds a lot like the Canon 1-DX. Bloom just called the 1-DX "amazing". Also, what about the 1-DC? Why not rent these camera for a movie instead of buying an inferior product for $2,500?

I would love to know some info on the GH3. Anyone know anything about it? I guess Andrew can't say anything if he knows some stuff about it.

I plan on purchasing a new camera this year and currently I been impressed by the BMCC but I feel that their are some things I have to get around with that cam. I like the ease of use of DSLRs and the versatility. Looking forward to more info on the A99 and the GH3.

I really hope so. Some guys
[quote name='dangerzonerj' timestamp='1344524533' post='15206']
Well, Canon said the same about the MKIII. That it was in development thinking as a true hibrid cam, remember that?

I think that things will get hot with BBMC launch. Raw footage and 13 stops of DR. And now something amazing coming with the the GH3...

Well... My only concern is the big investment on L glass that I did in the past few years... However we are living in amazing times! "Let the games begin!"
[/quote]

Words of wisdom man! I do recall MkIII being made to shake foundations of DSLR and did absolutely nothing. Imrovements are marginal for video, a bit more for stills if you say so.

I would be ok to pay 5000$ for body if just they can find a way to fix video issues, i have no doubt stills will be amazing on new A99. Another thing - i am not impressed with Alpha telephoto lesens, not impressed at all. I hope some new ones are coming out soon!

It amazes me how after three years Leica are still the only company to bring out a full frame digital camera smaller than a brick. Full frame mirrorless can't still be far off, surely. The market is ready and waiting.
How likely is it that Sony will have a third successive NEX FS model at NAB next year? If they can bring the slow motion options and region switch ability of the FS700 to a model with the low light performance of the FS100, I'll take it. 4K sensor is preferable but not required.

[quote name='sfrancis928' timestamp='1344534105' post='15216']
I'm not so sure about that. For one thing, all of Sony's E-Mount lenses are APS-C only.

I was watching a presentation on the NEX camera line and when asked about a full frame NEX the Sony official said there were currently no plans to make one, and he thought it was unlikely, mainly because the main point of those cameras is the compact design, and a huge full frame sensor would not really make sense.

It's a shame, but we're probably stuck dealing with the Alpha Mount for full frame cameras from Sony.
[/quote]

Why mess around with the Alpha Mount? Sticking with it is extremely limiting, and just another example of Sony's insistance on proprietary products. It's a legacy mount. Traditional DSLRs are at a saturation point, while the mirrorless market share is growing. I can easily see Sony placing the Alpha mount on the backburner much like Olympus and Panasonic have with the original Four Thirds mount.

In terms of workflow, many of the lenses used on the FS100 will not be usable on an A99.