Which lens should I get for the Lumix G7?

okamata

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not to be a jerk to local small businesses but you can save up to $400-$470(if sales tax avoided) on that lens buying it off of ebay.  Looks like you can get it new for $350 off from asian sellers.  $900 or $1,000 for that lens is a rip off.  And plus if you get it and decide it doesn't meet your needs well congratulations now you get to take a $400 hit.

Can you share the link?

Yeah, that would be insane. I mean, the 12-40mm f/2.8 from Olympus is pretty fantastic. But when not locked down, handheld... some OIS would come in handy. I just didn't feel the value was there for the recommended retail price.

Getting back to suggestions... I guess 'wider coverage' could be interpreted as looking for more different focal lengths covering a more fexible range (probably not though). The 42.5mm f/1.7 is actually a pretty fine lens. So it might not be as ridiculous of a suggestion at all. The Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 are two go-to lenses for adaptation with focal reducers. They even get rehoused as cinema lenses... that should tell you something. But yeah, without that stabilization. Really the only one that hits all the spots is that 12-35mm f/2.8 OIS, albeit f/2.8 isn't that crazy sensitive (I hate it when people call a lens fast... hell, I don't want to shoot faster, I just don't want to shoot slower either, so I need more light to get in, in scenes that got less... or I want a shallower depth of field and throw on ND's -> '0' use for shooting faster. I know it derives from the stills world, but still). Anyways. Unless you find a way to be okay with unstabilized lenses... the 12-35mm f/2.8 OIS indeed seems the way to go. There's a reason it's sold as a kit and tons of people have one. But indeed. You kinda need to be able to justify the price, as at full price I'm not sure the value is there, but then again, it's the only once ticking the boxes without much direct alternatives.

The lowest I've seen it used is $500-550, and that was on the mu43 forum. I would definitely buy used, though. If you end up selling it down the line, it's like paying $50-100 to rent it for a couple years. No brainer.

I paid way more for my 12-35mm, but not once did I think the stabilization sucked, nor did I ever regret my purchase. Though I do dislike the plasticky feel and fly-by-wire focusing, if the OP can find this lens for $500, it would still be a steal in my opinion. However, I would still caution against being trapped in the micro four thirds ecosystem, as much as I like it for video:  even though more and more manufacturers are producing micro 4/3 mount lenses (Rokinon has announced a new 50mm f/1.2 for around $500-$600!), more affordable large sensor prosumer cameras are coming out each year, and my pile of 4/3 lenses will eventually become obsolete. I think it makes more sense to invest in the finest lenses you can afford, and choose the camera body according to your needs. 

Incidentally, Okamata, what exactly are you shooting? Are you even shooting video?

$350??? Where, as that doesn't sound right.

Ebay.

Can you share the link?

Ebay.

I paid way more for my 12-35mm, but not once did I think the stabilization sucked, nor did I ever regret my purchase.

I don't know if the stabilization "sucks."  It's just not in the same league as cheaper Canon lenses.  And if you are happy with it that is all that matters.  I just wouldn't want to buy something that is going to take a 40% hit the minute I open the box.  And as you pointed out m43 lenses are not something I see keeping for life.

Ebay.

Ebay.

I don't know if the stabilization "sucks."  It's just not in the same league as cheaper Canon lenses.  And if you are happy with it that is all that matters.  I just wouldn't want to buy something that is going to take a 40% hit the minute I open the box.  And as you pointed out m43 lenses are not something I see keeping for life.

Precisely which cheaper Canon lenses are you referring to? And by 'not in the same league', do you mean the OIS, image quality, build, or what? Are you suggesting the OP buy a Canon lens and adaptor? And if so, which fast and wide Canon lens and adapter would you recommend he buy for the G7?

Precisely which cheaper Canon lenses are you referring to? And by 'not in the same league', do you mean the OIS, image quality, build, or what? Are you suggesting the OP buy a Canon lens and adaptor? And if so, which fast and wide Canon lens and adapter would you recommend he buy for the G7?

Calm down.  I'm posting the information for the OP.  You have your lens and are happy with it.

Did you figure out ebay yet?

My bad. I mistakenly thought this was a public forum.

It is.  You can comment and ask questions all you want.  I was just saying that my intention is not to make the people who own the lens feel bad.  If you are happy with it then I am happy.  It's not a bad lens.  I just wouldn't advise paying $1,000+sales tax for it.  I would say that about any lens or camera regardless of what format or who makes it when you can acquire the item for $350 to $400 off.  It is more a general philosophy rather than an item specific critique.

That's how just about anyone would interpret 'that lens buying it off of ebay.  Looks like you can get it new for $350 off from asian sellers' though. Guess you can't .

So at a 25% off sale you assume items that used to cost $100 are now $25?  Australia is a really upside down place :d

:grin: Wait. lol. Now I get it. Darn diggety dang it.

I read it like 'offa' instead of 'off from'.:(

Scusa.

- btw. No kangaroos.

Okay.  I was getting worried.  I kept reading and rereading my post.

Honestly at $600 used from a US source I think it would be a reasonable buy.  I don't think M43 is going anywhere any time soon.  The Panasonic 12-35mm 2.8 and G7 aren't a bad combo if you can get a deal on the 12-35mm 2.8.

Yeah, getting one for 350 USD, to quote myself earlier: 'that would be insane'. Jup. -350 USD from regular price makes a whole lot more sense! And although 350 USD would've been even better, around 600 USD is indeed not a that bad price.

I'm pretty invested in the M43 system. That's pretty risky as someone mentioned, but I'm not the type for big clunky fullframe configurations and expenses.

Pretty curious what the GH5 will do and when we'll get to see the A6000's successor. There are actually M43 to E-mount adapters. Not sure how/if that would work, but the M43 system lenses might not be totally lost on APS-C. Need to read up on that and perhaps how the JVC handles that.