Is the GH2 still the king of video?

brintamatic

I need help from all you experts. Is the GH2 still the way to go for video? I know GH3 may be just around the corner and there have definitely been some other competition that have been getting some notice (Sony, Canon, Olympus, etc...)

Also, I saw in a recent post that someone mentioned that I should try to find a GH2 used. Where would a good place to look be? Should I buy the GH2 Shooter's Guide book before buying the GH2? Does the hack cost money? Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
The GH2 is cheap and gives you great quality. I think you can expect the GH3 to be quite more expensive at launch.
In the GH2 price range Sony, Canon, Olympus or Nikon aren't any better in terms of resolution.

I tried finding a GH2 used but on eBay they go for prices not much less then a new camera. At Amazon a new body is $699 now.
The hack doesn't cost any money, although you can donate as much as you like to support the development.

The whole hack thing can be a bit overwhelming when you jump into it, but with the FAQ's on [url="http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/"]http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/[/url] you should be able to get the idea. The biggest 'problem' is choosing the right settings.

You could start without a hack anyway. The GH2 offers a high bitrate mode by itself and it might suit all your needs.

Should you buy the book? No idea. Depens on how much experience you have with dslr's, video, etc.

It doesn't hurt to buy Andrew's books at all.
Even if you don't agree with Andrew Reid on every issue or subject, he is a real gear head and puts an enormous effort into his work.

You can learn quite a bit from reading his material, even if you've been doing this for years.
A different outlook can be a refreshing experience.

Thanks for the reply. I've got a specific budget for camera, lens and rig. I originally went down this journey looking at a Canon 5D MK2/3 and I came across the GH2 phenomenon. I've been very impressed with the GH2 when compared with the 5D. I don't know what lenses are required for the GH2 and what those recommended lenses may cost either.

I was also told to look at the Blackmagic Cinema. Again, the price for the body fits within the budget but I don't know if it's like a RED where it needs a bunch of attachments just to get started. All in all, the GH2 really stands out of the crowd because of it's great value but if there is anything on the horizon that will make the GH2 obsolete in a year or two, I would rather wait on the next best thing... Thoughts?

[quote name='brintamatic' timestamp='1343832051' post='14783']
Thanks for the reply. I've got a specific budget for camera, lens and rig. I originally went down this journey looking at a Canon 5D MK2/3 and I came across the GH2 phenomenon. I've been very impressed with the GH2 when compared with the 5D. I don't know what lenses are required for the GH2 and what those recommended lenses may cost either.

I was also told to look at the Blackmagic Cinema. Again, the price for the body fits within the budget but I don't know if it's like a RED where it needs a bunch of attachments just to get started. All in all, the GH2 really stands out of the crowd because of it's great value but if there is anything on the horizon that will make the GH2 obsolete in a year or two, I would rather wait on the next best thing... Thoughts?
[/quote]
There's aways something on the horizon. Who knows whats new in two years.

Good thing about the GH2: you can use about any lens on it because of the mirrorless design. With a dslr you have much less choice. You have tons of options to buy cheap (but good) lenses for the GH2. The only thing that's a bit more difficult to find cheap is wideangles because of the 2x cropfactor. But there are plenty of options.

You could buy a GH2 set and a whole bunch of manual focus lenses for the price of even a 5D Mark II, for the price of a MK III you can include the rig... Does the GH2 become obsolete for you? Sell it, you wouldn't loose much probably.

It doesn't matter which camera you get, Black Magic Design, GH2/3, Canon, Nikon, Sony etc:
You will want to get more equipment as time goes by - be it lenses, reflectors, lights, microphones, tripods or handheld stabilizers and such... When I buy camera bodies myself, I expect them to last around 5 years or so. The lenses, tripods and such I expect to be able to use on upcoming cameras - or sell. They usually retain their values better if kept in shape.

So, I'm with QuickHitRecord here: If GH3 is released next month, I'd wait and see what that one has to offer over the GH2, and then either buy the GH3 or a used GH2. Prices for both used & new GH2 cameras will probably drop when GH3 is out.

[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1343848120' post='14793']
The GH3 is supposed to be announced next month. If it were me I'd wait or you might end up kicking yourself.
[/quote]

Even if it is actually announced next month, usually when they announce a new product you have to wait months for it to actually come out, and delays seem to be the trend this days.
We'll see

Maybe but I can't help but be a little pessimistic about the gh3. I think people expect too much with those threads on what we would like to see in it and all those cool features...
I think we must not forget that it was not made for us it's a consumer camera. So I don't see why they would design the gh3 for anyone except mass market like the older version. Will they really focus on improving the video quality of their photo camera that does video or worry more about including trendy useless features that will make it appealing to the average consumer?
I think the latter but I'd be happy to be wrong

• Administrators
[quote name='KarimNassar' timestamp='1344028553' post='14937']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think we must not forget that it was not made for us it's a consumer camera.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

You will be surprised Karim ;)

I guess, the only thing turning the tables, for the GH3, will be economics. Since most Japanese electronics majors aren't doing too well, partly because of the Thailand Floods, and partly due to to the over-whelming growth of Samsung, Apple (and LG, to an extent), it would be in their best interest to try and make a DSLR (DSLM actually), which outsells every other camera on the planet, meant for shooting serious Full HD. The GH2 already does that, without blinking so much a an eyelash, but, then, everyone who dismissed the GH2, or owns one, or wants to own one, of that pedigree, will look for the GH3, to do it. If Panasonic doesn't make Drastically better features on an already brilliant video DSLR, then it will be shooting itself, in the foot.

But, this seems Very unlikely, if the new models of Panasonic, are anything to go by. I am guessing the GH3 will be quite an improvement. The only question, may be, how much.

[quote name='brintamatic' timestamp='1343797530' post='14770']
I need help from all you experts. Is the GH2 still the way to go for video? I know GH3 may be just around the corner and there have definitely been some other competition that have been getting some notice (Sony, Canon, Olympus, etc...)

Also, I saw in a recent post that someone mentioned that I should try to find a GH2 used. Where would a good place to look be? Should I buy the GH2 Shooter's Guide book before buying the GH2? Does the hack cost money? Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

I spoke to Pana HQ the other day and they know nothing of a GH3. Good as GH2 is, why not use a Sony vg-20 at that price