Blackmagic Cinema Camera shipping delayed

Andrew Reid

Mmmmm......Appears that the delay is just of your common or garden "it doesn't quite work properly" variety.

Oh well at least I was right about it not being an issue with a licensing fee !

----

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b] Blackmagic reassures customers over camera delay[/b]

[color=#666666]15 August, 2012[/color][/font][/size]

[background=transparent][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#333333]Shipments of Blackmagic Design’s eagerly anticipated Cinema Camera have been delayed.[/color]

The 2.5K device, which was [url="http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techfacils/blackmagic-unveils-digital-camera/5040563.article?blocktitle=Most-popular&contentID=-1"]unveiled at NAB[/url] earlier this year, was meant to ship in July.
Blackmagic EMEA senior PR manager Patrick Hussey said the camera would be delivered to customers by the end of the month.
“We are making a few tweaks because we want to make sure we release a quality product, not substandard kit,” he said.
“The reality of the situation is that a four-week delay is not an awful lot, particularly when you consider that delays to products from other manufacturers can be much more substantial.”
Hussey declined to provide more information about the “final round of tweaks”, but he said suggestions from some resellers that the delay related to third party licencing issues were incorrect.
“There are no problems there and Thunderbolt approvals have been granted.
“All products go through a quality assurance process and we’re just making sure everything is nailed down.”
------[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Source [url="http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/techfacils/blackmagic-reassures-customers-over-camera-delay/5045378.article?blocktitle=LATEST-TECHNOLOGY-NEWS&contentID=1151"]http://www.broadcast...&contentID=1151[/url][/font][/size][/background]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
Hmmm. I am not sure whether I should be worried or not about that. I don't see why dealers should have been spreading untrue information about licensing issues either. Surely they would not make stuff up and give a reason or no reason, based on what BMD tell them?

Re: the licensing.

I agree that its a bit of a strangely specific thing for CVP to put in an email off their own bat.

You would have to suspect its something that they have been told by a BMD rep, possibly as a cack handed attempt at reassurance that the delay is something administrative and finite and that the units are ready to go rather than an open ended 'we'll ship them as soon as they stop catching fire' type of deal.

They've definitely put the U and the D into FUD with this one.

Not the F though.

At least for now.

BTW,
The dealer I was talking with in June was at NAB and had their order in from the getgo. They deal with BM on a regular basis. This dealer told me that he was informed at NAB time, that BM wouldn't be available till probably October. Advertise the camera for an early release, ie. July, as it will be on people's radar. This will draw attention away from other cameras. Business is business. Someone else posted this info on the BM forum quite a while ago too, and of course, this message was disputed and not embraced. So far this dealer's info has been correct.

many years ago some cotton pickin retrobate stole a foto off a manly website the foto was of me and my rubber ducky in are favorite tin metal bath.
no problem with a foto but dis evil doer got a companie in china to copy my rubber ducky and sell an asian ducky witch looked like my rubber ducky.
eyes was real mad sea i tells you.
without imcramanating me myself der guy died scrreaming in panes and der china duck factory burnt down in a freek accident.
it was very lucky these things happen as i was sueing the duck man copy cat true der patent orifices.
eye had 2 patent infrangement clames
eye beliefs cinema cameras have many more areas for legal clams
dem patant infridgement clams can gets messy
either ways my ducky exists he going for a swim tonight.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6_d22aMqZs[/media]

• Administrators
The rubber ducky mystery deepens. Are they still stroking their ducky in the factory or is there more than meets the eye?

Is this October dealer thing coming about because this is when BMD initially told dealers when it expect plentiful 'in stock' cameras?

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1343829976' post='14780']
Jeff, do feel free to come back in a few weeks and eat your words.
[/quote]

Hmmmm... it is now August 21, and I have seen more rumors/statements that this camera will now ship in October. I think my words are entirely safe from mastication.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1347148535' post='17621']
Is it still 'a marketing concept' Jeff or did I miss something?

When I get mine and you are still shooting your upscaled 720p H.264 mush at 8bit do feel free to join the 6 month long waiting list. :)
[/quote]
Not if he goes for the MFT version and then it will free up pre orders for the EF version.

@Andrew :

Did you hear about that?

[size=2][b][color=#FF8000]"Jigsaw24[/color] & [color=#FF0000]Holdan[/color] present first UK hands on demonstration and workflow of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera & DaVinci Resolve 9[/b][/size]

Experts from Jigsaw24, Holdan and Blackmagic Design will be on hand at the 2 day drop in event to answer any questions about the camera, workflow and Resolve 9! This is the first public event to showcase the camera in the UK and allow you to shoot with the camera on tripods, shoulder rigs and then get the footage into Resolve and see the dynamic range in action up close."

I guess they will do this presentation with ONE camera, since it looks like they are building one per week....