Question on Sony NEX focus peaking with manual lenses

gelly

Hey there people. I'm looking at purchasing a Sony NEX 5n (or maybe SLT a57) - for video. I currently own a few Pentax K manual lenses. Can anyone tell me whether focus peaking will work using the Pentax glass (and dumb lens adapter) on these Sony cameras. Any advice greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
it will. there is a knack to using it - at first you think all is in focus then realise you should have focused in a little more. after a week you will get to know the characteristics and nail most shots straight away. peaking tends to work best with less wide lenses such as 35-50mm at larger apertures. the shallower the depth of focus the easier it is to see the focus peaking work. also you need good contrasty lighting conditions so it can pick up edges of subjects.

[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1343631223' post='14717']
it will. there is a knack to using it - at first you think all is in focus then realise you should have focused in a little more. after a week you will get to know the characteristics and nail most shots straight away. peaking tends to work best with less wide lenses such as 35-50mm at larger apertures. the shallower the depth of focus the easier it is to see the focus peaking work. also you need good contrasty lighting conditions so it can pick up edges of subjects.
[/quote]

Hey richg101, thanks for the reply. That's great news. Cheers.