My Berkey System GH2 Cage

tvpglabs

I had this cage made for me by Berkey System. It uses mostly off the shelf parts except for the custom top plate and a modified baseplate that allows for the use of a Arca Swiss styled mounting system for the camera. The main drive behind this was that I wanted a cage that would allow me to easily remove the camera and use my GH2 for Photography work as well as videography work, or so that I could use the bare camera in a more discreet way if need be. To accomplish all of that, there were some compromises, but overall I'm happy with it because it checks the following boxes:

[list]
[*][font=inherit][size=3]
Camera secured at both mounting screw and hotshoe to prevent flex and rocking when using a follow focus.[/size][/font]
Ability to quickly and easily remove the camera from the cage incorporating an Arca Swiss clamp inside the cage which would also solve my next wish:[/size][/font]
Absolutely no camera twisting! I hate camera twisting![/size][/font]
Easy access to all camera controls, ports, battery door, etc while camera is mounted in the cage.[/size][/font]
All holes spaced to the ARRI and RED standard to allow use of professional quality accessories.[/size][/font]
A built in rail block that mounts the cage at the correct height above the rails and prevent the camera and the cage from rotating on the rail block. Have I mentioned I hate camera rotation?[/size][/font]
A cage that will allow me to upgrade my camera without having to buy a new cage.[/size][/font]
[/list]
What do you guys think?
[attachment=270:P1050052.JPG]

There's more pics and more thorough write up on my blog: http://tvpglabs.com/2012/06/08/my-new-upgradeable-gh2-cage-from-berkey-system/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
You could have just bought the Tecnoir Cinema Rig ,
its does all your list of points and Red and Arri spacing
Great stable professional platform for the GH2
I use it for work all the time.

[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/blackmore1/tecnoir-rig-panasonic-gh2-b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/blackmore1/tecnoir-rig-panasonic-gh2-c.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/blackmore1/tecnoir-rig-panasonic-gh2-a.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180938623923?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180938623923?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649[/url]

Interesting rig, but it doesn't look right for my needs. I don't see where it attaches to the hot shoe to prevent camera rocking. It uses a manfrotto 501 type system instead of the Arca Swiss system that prevents camera rotation on the GH2 when using a follow focus. The back of the cage looks like it would get in the way of operator having access to the controls on the back of the GH2 (maybe not), and the height of the camera off the rails doesn't appear to be industry standard to be compatible with matte boxes.

Other than that, cool concept. Are the rosettes Arri standard?

I use it to shoot pop videos for MTV
its a great stable platform to work from, every easy to use and the side handles are great for hand held 'Fig Rig' type shots
it uses a Giottos quick release plate modified to compensate for the GH2 tripod mounting hole being 2mm off centre.
Why did Panasonic do that ! haha! its so annoying!
This puts your camera back on the centreline for your rail system.

Rosettes are Red Standard.

Both rigs miss a HDMI cable clamp and are bulky beyond belief. Why so much air around the camera? ReWo has made a snug cage (and clamp), which surely must protect the camera much better, and be less of a transportation problem :)

[quote name='kirk' timestamp='1343366343' post='14595']
Both rigs miss a HDMI cable clamp and are bulky beyond belief. Why so much air around the camera? ReWo has made a snug cage (and clamp), which surely must protect the camera much better, and be less of a transportation problem :)
[/quote]
As I said in my initial post, there were compromises, but it's obvious that you didn't read that post, or haven't owned a Rewo cage. I have a Rewo cage, which is very capable, but it doesn't allow the camera to be easily removed from the cage, and tends to get in the way when you're trying to use the camera for photography as opposed to videography. The Berkey System cage is much more flexible. And yes it is bigger, but ultimately there are a lot more mounting points on the Berkey System cage. The Rewo cage loses a lot of those 1/4-20 holes when you add the lugs and handles.

No offence meant Jason! And I read your post for sure. Guess we all have different views on what a cage should do to suit our individual needs... I have no plans to get a ReWo, but have had talks with a local machine shop... I treasure the tiny size and light weight of the GH2 and would always go for the smallest and lightest solution, even if I had to make compromises... and contrary to you I never use the GH2 for stills. I'm very glad you got a solution suitable for your needs :)