OSX Mountain Lion - Quicktime X - Clipping Fixed???

Charles Stewart Jr

Hey Andrew I saw your twitter last night about Quicktime X now having the ability to play AVCHD files in OSX Mountain Lion. I was wondering if you found whether they fixed the "Clipping" or gamma shift look, that it does? Also, did you notice an improvement in Premiere?

It would be nice if I didn't have to keep using 5DtoRGB to convert everything. Kind of defeats the reason I switched to Premiere.

Thanks,
Charles

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
It doesn't fix the gamma or clipping issue. Neither in QT or Premiere CS5.5 / CS6.

However I had a breakthrough with Premiere and the clipping issue which I'll share tomorrow on the blog. I agree, need to avoid 5DToRGB if possible.

Cheers
Andrew

There is no clipping guys ... avchd records up to 255 and premiere cuts off the last 16 (235-255) levels off. U have to bring these super white levels down with the fast color corrector in premiere pro... I am telling u in Windows+ PP cs6 its the same thing with the highlights.

• Administrators
Alexander is right. Although I'd still term it 'clipping'.

I'd love to know more on this topic. Why does Premiere cut the last 16 levels off? In the luma channel or RGB? And why does bringing the white levels down fix it?

Is it a bug or just misinterpreting the footage? And why hasn't Sony issued an explanation for it? And why does it happen on both Windows and a Mac? So many questions :)

Remember his isn't just in Premiere, it is in Quicktime and VLC too.