Laptop predicament

barefoot

Sounds like the processor is only i7 dual core in the high end Surface Book. So one site says the cheaper dual core i5 version may be worth going for as it should only be slightly slower. Websites are guessing the graphics will be an equivalent of NVIDIA 950M with 1GB, which looks like a fairly decent card according to NotebookCheck.

I am unsure how much the 1GB thing matters or whether the actual card is more important. But that and the processor makes me assume it won't be ideal. Think I read somewhere that it only works with the dock when not connected to keyboard, which could mean the GPU can't be used with a monitor. After noticing lots of bad reviews for Lenovo it is back to Mac for me with sites guessing an announcement on Tuesday. Mac seem to always get away with low specs so maybe Microsoft have manged to squeeze extra out of their modest specs too?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this kind of color saturation when doing video editing and how I could possibly deal with it (if I do buy it)?

yes, I have a panel with similar coverage. I just make it look good on this and occasionally reference on a more standard monitor. sometimes you need to make things look very vivid for them to work well on your average Joe's screen

in After Effects you can apply a working profile that limits the colour to lovely disappointing rec709, for example ;)

yes, I have a panel with similar coverage. I just make it look good on this and occasionally reference on a more standard monitor. sometimes you need to make things look very vivid for them to work well on your average Joe's screen

in After Effects you can apply a working profile that limits the colour to lovely disappointing rec709, for example ;)

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to get a monitor that covers just sRGB to make sure it's not too off. (And I'll remember that After Effect trick.) =)

Those new Alienwares look amazing.

i wish it was upgrade time, I'd love the top line 13 inch! Ah well... I shall watch and be jealous ;)

Haha. Well, I might be skipping Alienwares in the last minute, as it looks a little fat for portability. Dell's $1100 Inspiron, with a thinner body, seems to have the same 4k screen. And I'm thinking of upgrading to a 500 GB SSD and 16GB RAM by myself for under $200.

i am looking for the same upgrade as you...dont go for dells, although they are workhorses durable etc, they have a problem with the screens, they are darker than reality.

the acer you posted is a very good choice.

I was told the Acer Nitro has dim screens as well. And I'm finding it hard to locate a Skylake-version Acer in the US stores (Skylake for h.265 files).

i am looking for the same upgrade as you...dont go for dells, although they are workhorses durable etc, they have a problem with the screens, they are darker than reality.

I've notice this with the deepest blacks on my large Dell panel. They suddenly crush... I don't see it on Alienware m14, but there are many different screens, and that one has quite a limited colour gamut.

Haha. Well, I might be skipping Alienwares in the last minute, as it looks a little fat for portability. 

all depends on your muscles and back ;) it's fine for me but yeah I can see it can be annoying compared to those skinny aluminium Macs!