Is the ninja ii worth getting for A7?

BrorSvensson

Hi! I'm thinking about getting a atomos ninja II now that the price has gone down to 300 dollars, i've heard that prores is a much better codec to film with. I shoot mostly skateboarding like sports so lots of fast action and lots of movement. Will the better codec give me a better image? If i understood right from some videos prores wont show diffrence on still videos but on action/movment shots i will se smoother motion because of the Intra frame codec, i that right?

Do you guys think i should get one?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless you are planning moving to 4K anytime soon (which is the reason they lowered their prices) then yes you will end up with not only smoother motion but also greater tonal flexibility during grading. You will not notice any difference in resolution but the less compression will give you less macroblocking and finer noise that will make even individual frames look better. 

Unless you are planning moving to 4K anytime soon (which is the reason they lowered their prices) then yes you will end up with not only smoother motion but also greater tonal flexibility during grading. You will not notice any difference in resolution but the less compression will give you less macroblocking and finer noise that will make even individual frames look better. 

Sounds like exactly what i want, can it do 60p prores? That's someting i have to have.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

To get 60p you need two things, first is the camera to have a camera outputting a 60p HDMI signal, and to have a recorder that can record a 60p signal. Neither the A7 series outputs 60p nor the ninja records 60p. 

In fact, very, very view cameras output a 60p signal through HDMI, the only one I can remember is the Canon C100 MKII, and the only recorders that accept a 60p signal are the -Atomos Assassin/Shogun, -the Odyssey Q7+ (both 4K recorders)

For 60p you'll have to go with internal recording for a while, High frame rate external recording is only available through HD-SDI on select cameras (Cion, C500, URSA, URSA Mini, FS700, FS7, F5)

To get 60p you need two things, first is the camera to have a camera outputting a 60p HDMI signal, and to have a recorder that can record a 60p signal. Neither the A7 series outputs 60p nor the ninja records 60p. 

In fact, very, very view cameras output a 60p signal through HDMI, the only one I can remember is the Canon C100 MKII, and the only recorders that accept a 60p signal are the -Atomos Assassin/Shogun, -the Odyssey Q7+ (both 4K recorders)

For 60p you'll have to go with internal recording for a while, High frame rate external recording is only available through HD-SDI on select cameras (Cion, C500, URSA, URSA Mini, FS700, FS7, F5)

Oh that sucks, but thanks for the great info!

Oh that sucks, but thanks for the great info!

I am pretty sure that A7 does output 60p. 

original.thumb.jpg.16b578de4561f6dad3ff4

Also from their advertising:

"Capture Full 1920 x 1080 HD uncompressed clean-screen video files with external recording devices via an HDMI® connection in 60p and 60i frame rates. Selectable in-camera AVCHD™ codec frame rates include super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, while MP4 codec is also available for smaller files for easier upload to the web." 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You're correct my bad, it's a great and quite rare feature so it's a shame the feature can't be exploited without a 2000$-ish recorder.

How about the a7s? Does it output 60p too? in s35 and/or FF?