The ultimate hackintosh laptop - lenovo p50

Ed_David

it was crapware that was intended to help the stability of the computer for novices.. 

How do you come to that conclusion?  Did Lenovo say that?  Keep in mind, there has been more than one instance.

Thats why these were a problem with only the non-thinkpad series. Definetly not malware.

I never stated that it was a problem specifically with "Thinkpads."  Again, there has been more than one instance, so I wouldn't put it past them to try to sneak it into some Thinkpads.  Most of the reports are calling it malware -- it's in the BIOS, it reincarnates itself after you think it's deleted and it phones home.  You can call it whatever you like.

Also Lenovo learned and stoped puting it in new computers.

Is that why Lenovo issued this statement back in February when they got caught, and why they were yet again caught hiding spyware in the BIOS again just last month?  Furthermore, is that why they seem to be doing it once again in their smartphones?

Even the Department Of Homeland Security is posting warnings on Lenovo machines.

Emanuel is right, fear is a bitch. Here's a hint to you - misinformation does not help. 

Well, I've done my part in making people aware of the risk.  Not sure where you think that I misinformed nor why you would try to dismiss the threat.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, I've done my part in making people aware of the risk.  Not sure where you think that I misinformed nor why you would try to dismiss the threat.

http://computersforcharity.blogspot.com/2011/08/bloatware-crapware-trialware-malware.html

http://www.slashgear.com/lenovo-responds-to-service-engine-bios-software-debacle-12396812/

• 2 weeks later...

Thats why these were a problem with only the non-thinkpad series. [snip]  Also Lenovo learned and stoped puting it in new computers. 

Emanuel is right, fear is a bitch. Here's a hint to you - misinformation does not help. 

Looks like Lenovo was messing with the Thinkpads after all.  What was that again regarding "bitches" and "misinformation?"

People, please be careful when choosing Lenovo machines.

Looks like Lenovo was messing with the Thinkpads after all.  What was that again regarding "bitches" and "misinformation?"

People, please be careful when choosing Lenovo machines.

Fear stands a hard bitch, word. Since to not buy Lenovo because of such is an overstatement IMO.

Should I quit of my citizenship and nationality because my government wants to control my earnings from my expenses via my tax number or credit card statement? So, forget about VISA, Mastercard and AMEX?

For the sake of this conversation and it doesn't matter if your concern matches with the same values I believe, we can't fire back with a nuclear weapon when we just need to go out hunting birds.

Emanuel :-)

Fear stands a hard bitch, word. Since to not buy Lenovo because of such is an overstatement IMO.

In light of Lenovo's practices, avoiding its products is motivated more by wisdom than fear.

Should I quit of my citizenship and nationality because my government wants to control my earnings from my expenses via my tax number or credit card statement? So, forget about VISA, Mastercard and AMEX?

For the sake of this conversation and it doesn't matter if your concern matches with the same values I believe, we can't fire back with a nuclear weapon when we just need to go out hunting birds.

Perhaps a more accurate and comprehensible analogy would be that of the choice between going down a dark alley or a well lit street.  Would you choose to traverse a dark alley in which you know creeps lurk at night, or would you choose the bright street in which you can see everything?

Likewise, do you choose a laptop manufacturer who keeps sneaking creepy, tenacious malware/crapware deep into the BIOS and who repeatedly lies about it, or do you choose an honest manufacturer who is just trying to create a good product?

In light of Lenovo's practices, avoiding its products is motivated more by wisdom than fear.

Perhaps a more accurate and comprehensible analogy would be that of the choice between going down a dark alley or a well lit street.  Would you choose to traverse a dark alley in which you know creeps lurk at night, or would you choose the bright street in which you can see everything?

Likewise, do you choose a laptop manufacturer who keeps sneaking creepy, tenacious malware/crapware deep into the BIOS and who repeatedly lies about it, or do you choose an honest manufacturer who is just trying to create a good product?

My impression aside, I fully stand that you're exaggerating or perhaps you're just a former Lenovo customer who didn't like the service : D

Comes to my mind a Clint Eastwood's movie, A Perfect World...

BTW, how old are you? : )

In any case, I'd like to listen you on topic, about any alternative to Lenovo's new laptops. That would be rather more useful than this discussion proper of a movie plot perhaps; no, I don't even question the innocent or terrible practices of the Chinese manufacturer listed everywhere as one of the giants of this industry. I simply don't give the same attention as you do. We didn't invent the world, when we arrived it already was pre-existent ; )

Welcome to the real life, pal!

E :-)

I fully stand that you're exaggerating or perhaps you're just a former Lenovo customer who didn't like the service : D

You are incorrect on both "stands."  No exaggeration on my part -- I simply link articles that report facts, and I also linked a press release directly from Lenovo and a warning from the US government.  Furthermore, I have never been Lenovo customer nor product owner.

Comes to my mind a Clint Eastwood's movie, A Perfect World...

I have no clue what you are trying to say.  Please just say what you mean.

BTW, how old are you? : )

What?  What does my age have to do with the fact that Lenovo has repeatedly snuck persistent malware into the BIOSes of it's machine, even after lying about it multiple times?

In any case, I'd like to listen you on topic, about any alternative to Lenovo's new laptops

I am no expert on laptops that are good for editing, and the power of such machines is constantly progressing.  However, with a brief web search it shouldn't be too difficult to find a comparison article on current units that fit the bill.  No doubt, most of the non-Lenovos won't have insidious malware in the BIOS.

That would be rather more useful than this discussion proper of a movie plot perhaps;

Again, no clue as to what you mean here.  Please say what you mean.

I don't even question the innocent or terrible practices of the Chinese manufacturer listed everywhere as one of the giants of this industry. I simply don't give the same attention as you do

Good for you!  You've been warned about Lenovo machines with links citing facts about their practices.  You're on your own now.

We didn't invent the world, when we arrived it already was pre-existent ; )

This Lenovo fiasco is rather recent.  Unless you are less than eight years old, it wasn't "pre-existent" for you.

Welcome to the real life, pal!

Same to you, bud.  Perhaps you might eventually experience the real life consequences of not heeding multiple security warnings.

Then perhaps it would be best for you to stop being dramatic.

haha good joke!

All I have done is link references, state fact, ask questions and suggest folks be careful when dealing with Lenovo machines.

Take it easy man, Lenovo won't stop to sell their machines because of so dangerous negative bad mouth on their reputation : D Their PR's sleep is safe for tonight! LOL

:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Man I'd love to make a Hackintosh. To be honest, I survive on Page to create all of my company letters and quotations. Microsoft Word frustrates the hell out of me with their default set of fonts. Even on a Mac, everything feels uglier on Word.

I've been running various Hackintoshes, along side actual Macs, since Snow Leopard and I've yet to have a really unpleasant experience. If you go into it I recommend starting with a desktop build, rather than converting a laptop. Its much harder to get compatible laptop components wise, but it can fun, I have a Surface Pro that runs Yosemite really well. The installation process is so easy these days and websites like TonyMac have excellent guides.

I've been running various Hackintoshes, along side actual Macs, since Snow Leopard and I've yet to have a really unpleasant experience. If you go into it I recommend starting with a desktop build, rather than converting a laptop. Its much harder to get compatible laptop components wise, but it can fun, I have a Surface Pro that runs Yosemite really well. The installation process is so easy these days and websites like TonyMac have excellent guides.

That's good to hear. And I like the idea of converting a Surface Pro (never occurred to me). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I used to have one but it never felt 100% reliable.

This week I decided to give it another go as I'd upgraded my PC rig. By chance the hardware was all on the recommended list at TonyMacx86

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-october-2015.html

The most temperamental bits are graphics, sound, bluetooth and wifi but 100 google searches later and a lot of late nights, eventually you will get it stable. Mine even sleeps!!

I recommend a USB sound card, they tend to 'just work'.

Also I recommend Unibeast to do the install, then Multibeast to do the drivers post-install bit... Clover was too advanced, I didn't get it as well.

It is now stable, was having random freezes due to Intel integrated graphics being enabled and for whatever reason not working, so disabled that and now it is fine.

However there are still the occasional bugs, like Resolve 12 saying it is out of GPU memory on a 4GB card after a few minutes... hmm.

Verdict - if you are of technical knowledge with the time and can risk the occasional crash in the middle of work, go for it. If you just want a ultra stable system which will work immediately, avoid like the plague!

My hardware:

CM Storm Stryker case
4096MB MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 Intel Z97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail 
16GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 DIMM CL10 Dual Kit 
600 Watt Corsair CX Series Non-Modular 80+ Bronze 
Intel Core i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz So.1150 BOX

I went for OSX Yosemite. Although you can put El Capitan on there it might not be as stable, since it is so new. On my genuine Macbook Pro I have major issues with Premiere under El Capitan related to CUDA and GPU acceleration.

A hypothetical question. Would a hackintosh be able to use Windows 10 through Parallel 11 for Mac?

Best to dual boot from separate SSD. They are so cheap now, just have two drives.

By the way don't try and put a virtual Windows partition on your Mac RAID array like I once did!! The Windows installer damaged the RAID config and I had to spend hours in data recovery software, as well as buying 3 extra 4TB HDDs to backup to. Was an unpleasant experience to say the least, so keep Windows as far away from your Mac as possible :)

I used to have one but it never felt 100% reliable.

This week I decided to give it another go as I'd upgraded my PC rig. By chance the hardware was all on the recommended list at TonyMacx86

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-october-2015.html

The most temperamental bits are graphics, sound, bluetooth and wifi but 100 google searches later and a lot of late nights, eventually you will get it stable. Mine even sleeps!!

I recommend a USB sound card, they tend to 'just work'.

Also I recommend Unibeast to do the install, then Multibeast to do the drivers post-install bit... Clover was too advanced, I didn't get it as well.

It is now stable, was having random freezes due to Intel integrated graphics being enabled and for whatever reason not working, so disabled that and now it is fine.

However there are still the occasional bugs, like Resolve 12 saying it is out of GPU memory on a 4GB card after a few minutes... hmm.

Verdict - if you are of technical knowledge with the time and can risk the occasional crash in the middle of work, go for it. If you just want a ultra stable system which will work immediately, avoid like the plague!

My hardware:

CM Storm Stryker case
4096MB MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 Intel Z97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail 
16GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 DIMM CL10 Dual Kit 
600 Watt Corsair CX Series Non-Modular 80+ Bronze 
Intel Core i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz So.1150 BOX

I went for OSX Yosemite. Although you can put El Capitan on there it might not be as stable, since it is so new. On my genuine Macbook Pro I have major issues with Premiere under El Capitan related to CUDA and GPU acceleration.

Best to dual boot from separate SSD. They are so cheap now, just have two drives.

By the way don't try and put a virtual Windows partition on your Mac RAID array like I once did!! The Windows installer damaged the RAID config and I had to spend hours in data recovery software, as well as buying 3 extra 4TB HDDs to backup to. Was an unpleasant experience to say the least, so keep Windows as far away from your Mac as possible :)

You can easily create a Unibeast installer with Clover bootloader.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/172672-unibeast-install-os-x-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

The guide is for El Capitan but it will work for Yosemite as well.

I'm currently running a 100% stable OSX 10.11.1 on a Sandy-Bridge based hardware. Even Facetime/iMessage works fine with Clover. Only thing I needed to do post-install was to put ethernet kext into EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ folder. Everything else (USB sound, GPU, Power Management, TRIM, Sleep etc.) works natively. With Clover you can install OSX updates through App Store just like a real Mac, even major ones like 10.10 => 10.11.

My configuration:

i7 2600K @4.2GHz

Asus P8Z77-V Pro

Asus DirectCU II GTX 780

8GB GSKILL RipjawX DDR3 1600MHz

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD for OSX + 120GB Corsair ForceGT SSD for Windows 10

I recently bought the Asus ROG GL552VW, installed a 500GB M2 SSD, so now I have that and a 7200 RPM 1TB drive. I'll most likely reinstall my Windows 10 onto the SSD, and somehow try to install Yosemite on a partition from the 1TB. So far, that mountains of info feel incredibly daunting. :persevere: