Why the 2 new Tamron SP are game changers for video

wolf33d

"Game changing" …mmm, drama! Test reports are so-so, with fringing and onion bokeh.

I bought my first Sigma lens in 1995 or so, a 28-70 2.8 AF zoom that was just OK. They've certainly come a long way, and as far as Tamron goes, it's good to see aftermarket glass with good motors and VR or IS. 

But Sigma cold be said to have changed the game as far as lens technology and price/value, showing that Nikon/Canon and the classic Euro shops are no longer the only game in town for IQ, and doing it for a reasonable price. Which leads the question: is Nikon and Canon glass overpriced? Hard to say - much of it is pretty damn expensive, but many of their lenses are best-in-class. I have several Nikkors that I've used for two decades, stills and now video, and they're tremendously good lenses, some approaching their 30th birthdays. But Nikon's pricing feels more ridiculous every year.

Game changing to me is going to be no-compromise on features and IQ, at 30 - 50% less than the big guys. I don't own any Samsung S zooms, but they're very highly regarded and as far as I know, they did it from scratch (and overnight compared to Sigma & Tamron). Apparently it can be done.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 5/3/2016 at 8:22 PM, M Carter said:

Game changing to me is going to be no-compromise on features and IQ, at 30 - 50% less than the big guys. I don't own any Samsung S zooms, but they're very highly regarded and as far as I know, they did it from scratch (and overnight compared to Sigma & Tamron). Apparently it can be done.

The 50-150 is parfocal and doesn't breath, it's essentially perfect. It's a steal at the current prices used. Did a shoot with it out on a beach handheld with AF on, incredible results.

Very interested in these Tamron's for their stabilization, rented the 35mm and the 85mm to test this weekend on my D750. Will report back with samples and impressions once they arrive today.

On May 2, 2016 at 11:06 PM, squig said:

Purple fringing. Yucky.  http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/970-tamron35f18vc?start=1

I'm getting the Sigma

On May 3, 2016 at 5:22 PM, M Carter said:

"Game changing" …mmm, drama! Test reports are so-so, with fringing and onion bokeh.

I bought my first Sigma lens in 1995 or so, a 28-70 2.8 AF zoom that was just OK. They've certainly come a long way, and as far as Tamron goes, it's good to see aftermarket glass with good motors and VR or IS. 

But Sigma cold be said to have changed the game as far as lens technology and price/value, showing that Nikon/Canon and the classic Euro shops are no longer the only game in town for IQ, and doing it for a reasonable price. Which leads the question: is Nikon and Canon glass overpriced? Hard to say - much of it is pretty damn expensive, but many of their lenses are best-in-class. I have several Nikkors that I've used for two decades, stills and now video, and they're tremendously good lenses, some approaching their 30th birthdays. But Nikon's pricing feels more ridiculous every year.

After previously owning the 24-70...

purple-onion-tor.jpg

These are a no-go for me.

Fringing on the 35 is apparently much less problematic than on the 45 (Dustin Abbott did some nice reviews). The VC actually seems to be a nice compromise (from the various video snippets I've seen online)- it doesn't correct motion too much so as to get that robotic jerkiness that Canon IS can have, but it does seem to smooth out the micro-jitters quite nicely. Good operating technique and/or a bigger camera may pair very well with these lenses. Definitely looking forward to Geoff's tests.

So I've played around with them for a bit won't have time to upload a video until later this weekend but here are my impressions after using them for an hour.

- Great Build quality. I enjoy the weight, not overly heavy.

- Manual focus great for AF glass. Smooth. 120 degree throw on  85mm, 180 throw on the 35mm

- Both lenses breath, but not very badly.

- VR is like Nick says above, it's not aggressive at all, just seems to smooth out the "shakies" from handholding. Works really well and doesn't jump at all when panning. Enjoy it so far, thought it is not on the same level as the Samsung S lenses. But the samsung glass can jump on fast pans.

- Both lenses are very neutral in their color. I think I will like it for post, but not for straight out of camera looks.

- Both are very very sharp.

- Electronic aperture mechanisms means you need electronic aperture adapters to use the glass, otherwise you are stuck at f22. No way to shoot with these on the NX1 :( 

On May 5, 2016 at 0:54 PM, Geoff CB said:

- Electronic aperture mechanisms means you need electronic aperture adapters to use the glass, otherwise you are stuck at f22. No way to shoot with these on the NX1 :( 

I may be missing something here, but there are aperture-control NX1 adapters for Nikkors that don't have aperture rings. They're not as prevalent as the plain adapters but I've seen them, and they're not ridiculously pricey. I may grab a couple (all of my Nikkors for video have rings) just in case - we may see NX1 adapters fall out of production at some point.

This one states "aperture control", though it's not apparent in the photos… fotodiox shows one here with the aperture control visible.

5 hours ago, M Carter said:

I may be missing something here, but there are aperture-control NX1 adapters for Nikkors that don't have aperture rings. They're not as prevalent as the plain adapters but I've seen them, and they're not ridiculously pricey. I may grab a couple (all of my Nikkors for video have rings) just in case - we may see NX1 adapters fall out of production at some point.

This one states "aperture control", though it's not apparent in the photos… fotodiox shows one here with the aperture control visible.

Nikon G lenses can be controlled in this manner.

Nikon recently introduced a new "feature" on the 300mm PF, 200-500mm f5.6, and the new 24-70mm: Electronic Diaphragm.  This cannot be changed mechanically, the aperture on these lenses are entirely electronic. It really sucks that Tamron adopted this.

On May 5, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Geoff CB said:

So I've played around with them for a bit won't have time to upload a video until later this weekend but here are my impressions after using them for an hour.

- Great Build quality. I enjoy the weight, not overly heavy.

- Manual focus great for AF glass. Smooth. 120 degree throw on  85mm, 180 throw on the 35mm

- Both lenses breath, but not very badly.

- VR is like Nick says above, it's not aggressive at all, just seems to smooth out the "shakies" from handholding. Works really well and doesn't jump at all when panning. Enjoy it so far, thought it is not on the same level as the Samsung S lenses. But the samsung glass can jump on fast pans.

- Both lenses are very neutral in their color. I think I will like it for post, but not for straight out of camera looks.

- Both are very very sharp.

The novoflex nikon adapter for nx1 has aperture controll lever in the  mount bro

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

The novoflex nikon adapter for nx1 has aperture controll lever in the  mount bro

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The ND throttle adapter as well.

Basically all Nikon adapters do.

Those only work for Nikon G lenses not the newest mount design Nikon E that uses an entirely electronic diaphram. I have the Novoflex adapter for my G lenses, it does not work on the tamrons, the lenses are permanently wide open.

Nikon info on it: https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19485/~/what-are-e-type-lenses%3F

3 hours ago, Phil A said:

What picture style did you shoot that in?

D750 Normal setting, no custom profile.  Here's the finished promo, only did a slight curve adjustment and vignette.