Travel Camera

Tibo16

Hi there,

I'm looking for a new camera for traveling. The camera should not be too big and heavy. Most of the time I would use it in movie mode, but it should take good photos, too.
I own a Canon 5D M1 with a 24-70mm F2.8 Lens, which is great for traveling imo, but I'm looking for something smaller, more compact.
The Sony RX100 M3 would be a good choise, but I heard, that the AF is really bad. Thats the reason why I need your guys for 1 or 2 alternatives.
My budget is around $700 (with lens), but I would increase it, if the camera is awesome :d

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the original RX100 would do. It is really cheap compared to the third one and the improvements are mostly features rather than IQ. No idea about AF as I never used it with my mk2 because it hunts which is useless for my still videos. The mk2 is the minimum if you want 24/25/30fps (might not do all those) 1080p. With the first one you had to de-interlace the 50i or something?

Actually the NX500 is pretty unbeatable for the prices it is going for as grey imports on eBay in the UK and US. Much much bigger sensor readout for stills and heavily cropped 4K video if you don't mind the transcoding required.

In conclusion, the LX100 is your best bet. Nice big sensor, compact size, 15 minutes of 4K. Or maybe look into the Samsung S6 Edge for a cool option which wouldn't require you to wear a fanny/bum/waist pack/bag.

I'm looking for something similar.

Sony RX100 would be great for my use. But I've heard enough about RX100 III breaking (lens foldout mechanism) and the camera automatically starting while having it in pocket or bag, showing some error message on the display until it the battery has drained out. Not sure if these two things are better on the RX100 IV (although it might be out of your budget).

I would also say Panasonic LX100. Only thing stopping me from picking that camera is that it doesn't have any higher framerate modes than 60fps. LX100 can't be beaten for its price.