Zoom H6

AaronChicago

For anyone who is a 1-2 man crew and does their own audio I highly recommend the H6. I've been using the H4n for 4 years now and it finally fell and broke. I decided to get the H6 since it had such good reviews. The preamps absolutely destroy the H4n's. Not only is the audio quality 2x better, the menu system is much easier and has colored screen with a small boot up time. Just thought I'd throw this recommendation out there if anyone is wanting to improve on sound recording (with an H4n).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967366-REG/zoom_h6_handy_audio_recorder.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What line to mic cable do you recommend? I looked at the h6 but got got a video mic pro (original) thrown in instead and find it has a lot of noise especially at 20+, so I'm going to hook up my zoom r16 instead (not for mobile). I saw most cables have -25db attenuation and one that's -35db. Which would be better for the gh4 recording music? Thanks

What line to mic cable do you recommend? I looked at the h6 but got got a video mic pro (original) thrown in instead and find it has a lot of noise especially at 20+, so I'm going to hook up my zoom r16 instead (not for mobile). I saw most cables have -25db attenuation and one that's -35db. Which would be better for the gh4 recording music? Thanks

I usually just record into the Zoom via XLR. I sync sound in post with PluralEyes. Maybe someone else here knows about attenuator cables?

Tascam DR-60D is a much cheaper option.  Just be aware it has no built in mic.

That’s where the Zoom shines and one example of how incredibly versatile it is. On the flip side, it always feels to me that the Tascam DR-60 and 70D recorders are a little more purpose built for film makers and a little more ergonomic and quicker to operate. Need phantom power? There’s a switch for that, no need to menu dive. And even when you do need to access the menu, the dial is very quick. As always, there are tradeoffs and both are great options and neither is 100% perfect for everyone. For now, I’ll stick with my Tascam.

http://learnlightandsound.com/2015/06/29/zoom-h6-my-impressions-after-4-weeks/