Watch Out for fraudulent 1DC seller on eBay UK

ProduThing

Good day to all,

Just wanted to warn this good community that some people on eBay UK are wise on the fact that quite a few of us are looking for second hand Canon 1DC.

We bought 15 days ago a 1DC advertised very convincingly by a "photographer" from Worcester (UK). The 1DC  "used a handful of times, primarily for 2 weddings videos in the summer, the shutter count on the camera is 7907."  Long story short, after a few emails and a payment via Paypal, we got a tracking number from parcel2go which conveniently was totally non specific (so really, the opposite of a tracking number): no starting point address, no delivery address, no mention of the nature of the parcel, nothing at all... which is exactly what we got at the end of one stressful week. We had to call eBay and Paypal then, got refunded in full TODAY. But we consider this pretty much a miracle. At the end, we have to say that we probably did not verify thoroughly the identity of our seller i.e. his digital footprint, his web site or facebook or LinkedIn nor did we check enough the reality of the transaction. Be careful.

Thanks for the good work.

Phil

ProduThing Ltd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Good day to all,

Just wanted to warn this good community that some people on eBay UK are wise on the fact that quite a few of us are looking for second hand Canon 1DC.

We bought 15 days ago a 1DC advertised very convincingly by a "photographer" from Worcester (UK). The 1DC  "used a handful of times, primarily for 2 weddings videos in the summer, the shutter count on the camera is 7907."  Long story short, after a few emails and a payment via Paypal, we got a tracking number from parcel2go which conveniently was totally non specific (so really, the opposite of a tracking number): no starting point address, no delivery address, no mention of the nature of the parcel, nothing at all... which is exactly what we got at the end of one stressful week. We had to call eBay and Paypal then, got refunded in full TODAY. But we consider this pretty much a miracle. At the end, we have to say that we probably did not verify thoroughly the identity of our seller i.e. his digital footprint, his web site or facebook or LinkedIn nor did we check enough the reality of the transaction. Be careful.

Phil

ProduThing Ltd

I have been there. Paid for item (used photo gear) but never received it. Occasionally there are some dishonest people around.

• Super Members

Not to much to worry about since its pretty much impossible to be screwed as a buyer on eBay. You always get your money back.

Being a seller on the other hand, watch out!

Never sell anything for more than you are ready to loose. A seller has 0 protection and a buyer can trick you and get both the product and money at any time they choose. Nothing to stop them. 

Sellers beware.  

Not to much to worry about since its pretty much impossible to be screwed as a buyer on eBay. You always get your money back.

Never sell anything for more than you are ready to loose. A seller has 0 protection and a buyer can trick you and get both the product and money at any time they choose. Nothing to stop them. 

Sellers beware.  

Well, it was not eBay/PayPal combo. :( 

Don't know if this is against rules/guidelines... Seller was AB Video Production (?).

Phil

ProduThing Ltd

Same thing happened to me - exact description!

There was no false tracking number in my case, the camera was stolen in a 'break in'.

They authorised the refund request that I'd raised, Paypal emailed me to say it had failed on Monday.  

Have to wait until tomorrow to take it further with Ebay and see if I can get my money back.  No response from the seller, but they were quick enough to delete their account.

Thanks for posting this - hopefully no-one else will get stung by this guy.

Proof that if it looks too good to be true... then it probably is! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Headsup to everyone,

this scammer is back at it again on Ebay, so BEWARE - DON'T BITE!!!

Thankfully Ebay finally honoured my money back guarantee too after many calls and long hours on the phone.

Now he's claiming to be from Dover in Kent (delivery £25? Come on!)

It's the same felt carpet in the pic and the copy has been changed slightly:

''Exccelent Condition '' Well loved and looked after'"

"For sale is my amazing and brillian Canon EOS-1DC Camera Body Only, UK model. The camera was purchased new on the January current year from MPB Photographic, still under the 2 Years Canon Warranty starting January 2015. Has been used a handful of times for video shooting in studio 4 short fashion bts films for 2 weddings and two x 1 day photo shoots. So has a very low shutter count, 8102 as of today. The camera is perfectly operational in an excellent as new condition with no marks, It is free from dust and any other cosmetic marks."

Getting a bit sloppy with the typos too!  Have reported the listing to Ebay, but Lord knows what they'll do.

Keep well away people!

Sellers beware.  

Does this really still happen?

I put up an expensive camera for sale on eBay a few years ago and was completely hounded by African scammers who wanted to buy it. These whole process because became such a shit show because as soon as they would click the buy button the chance for a genuine buyer was lost and it would take hours on the phone with eBay to get the camera up and for sale again only to be repeatedly hit again. This happened 10 times. To make matters worse, eBay has a largely untrained staff who do not know how to guide you towards enabling special features within your setting that will impede fraudsters. Only once you reach eBay's upper management will they disclose these setting that will allow your camera (or other items) to remain online so that a true buyer can contact you. But even when this happens, you never really know if you are selling to a fraudster or not. A small amount of security can be garnered if the buyer has a decent eBay reputation (buy/ sell track record) and then you yourself move towards other off eBay ways to confirm their identity. In the end it worked out but what a crazy process.

That's the one - looks like he's ended it.

I presume he'll resurface again though -  every few months or so going from the Phil's original post! 

I tell you what - I won't be so quick to pull the trigger on a big item again on eBay knowing how hard it is to navigate the process for high value items though....

S

Yep,

Same guy again - just changed his description slightly (he now uses a 1DX instead now instead of a Leica).

Check out his feedback - all within the last month, and the account was only set up on the 19th Sept

Have reported this one to Ebay too but in the meantime  all should beware a Canon 1DC ON A WHITE TOWEL BACKGROUND!!!

fraudster 1dc.JPG