Which to buy used Sony a7s or a7r ii

amsh89es335

I have both cameras, A7s with ShoGun and now A7r2. Obviously 1080p on A7s is not as detailed as 4k on A7r2. the A7r2 is a much more practical package the a7s with ShoGun. If you are mainly in one location, the external recorder works, but moving around and taking shorter clips, its a hassle. And with FE lenses, you get better stabilisation then with Canon lenses mounted on A7r2. I use the 24-70 if I want to be compact, but my new favourite is the FE 28-135. You will then have a video range from 28 to 200mm by using FF and S35.  And found out it also take very good still images !   Even for video I would pick A7r2 today over A7s (only better for high ISO), however I guess A7s2 will be even better for video (maybe higher frame rates). But if you want to shoot stills as well - no doubt a7r2 !!! 

you can look at 4k video here : https://youtu.be/PbyDqby-oqY  

and some stills here : https://asmundma.smugmug.com/Photography/A7r2-test/i-qHfjcfB/A

but how does image quality compare between the too with the shogun in 4k and 1080p 60fps and FF and APS-C? Even Andrew said a7r ii has more morie and aliasing. Also does the a7r ii over heat with the shogun. The over heating is a huge deal breaker for me, not the use of an external recorder. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

but how does image quality compare between the too with the shogun in 4k and 1080p 60fps and FF and APS-C? Even Andrew said a7r ii has more morie and aliasing. Also does the a7r ii over heat with the shogun. The over heating is a huge deal breaker for me, not the use of an external recorder. 

To me the final quality of video look pretty much the same for 4k on SHoGun (a7s) and A7r2 internal.  What I see is morie when editing the 4k A7r2 on the timeline - as soon as you create the final output - it disappears. The ProRes ShoGun does not show any morie on the timeline. And maybe the ProPes is better to garde, but find the Sony codec fine as well (in FCPX). To me the advantage of smaller files is more important. 

To me the final quality of video look pretty much the same for 4k on SHoGun (a7s) and A7r2 internal.  What I see is morie when editing the 4k A7r2 on the timeline - as soon as you create the final output - it disappears. The ProRes ShoGun does not show any morie on the timeline. And maybe the ProPes is better to garde, but find the Sony codec fine as well (in FCPX). To me the advantage of smaller files is more important. 

have you gotten a7r ii to over heat with the shogun? 

have you gotten a7r ii to over heat with the shogun? 

Not if you start the recording from ShoGun and the 30 min limit goes away.

correction, no morie on timeline if one pick high quality playback - seem like prores don't need that, which make sense. More processsing needed with the sony codec.

• 2 weeks later...