Did Samsung just kill the A7rii?

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you really need long focal + handheld you might want to record in FULL HD since the NX1 is one of the best camera for rolling shutter management in Full HD. 

Thank you for pointing this out as it often gets ignored: if you switch the NX1 to HD res it's almost a global shutter cam.

When Cinema5d compared shutter speeds in the following chart they had the nerve to show the NX in UHD mode only on the far right - indicating it's the clear loser, while the A7R2 is given its HD crop speed, and the Amira winning even though it's only 2k. In HD the NX would be to the left of the chart. There is a lot of bias against this camera out there.

Test-Scores-RS-Sony-A7RII-640x431.jpg

What's the RS compared to a RED Epic camera in 6k?

In 4k on the NX1 there's no like skipping so it's scanning the entire sensor (6.5k and downscaling).

I just don't understand why these cameras don't scan multiple lines at once. 

Sandro, it's very clear that you don't like the nx1. Every time you bash it. Why is that? You could simply buy anything else and be happier.

Btw I don't see any artifact in my videos when using dis. I'm very happy with it. Now I'd just want samsung to improve the dr, introduce a log profile and implement some of the user requested features.

mmm I think you're wrong since I bought one... from the clips above I see the same artifact you get from warp stabilizer due to the rolling shutter. You don't see it?

Sandro I know you bought one! But apparently you're not happy with it since you often post 'against' this camera.

I just made a very quick clip now, with and without dis. I watched it on tv from the camera and don't see apparent differences, as long as I don't start shaking my hands purposefully. Panning is good to very good and even walking with the camera is decent.

Here is another 4K video test of DIS using a lens with any OIS, of subjects up close and stationary:

https://vimeo.com/137292905

The first clip in each scene has DIS turned off.

That's the best looking example I have seen so far.

It's interesting that some sort of inbuilt stabilisation is on Samsung's radar an implemented in a FW update. I hope the NX2 goes the whole way with 5 axis IBIS. That would be a big plus !!

Here is an example of why I think DIS is such an important breakthrough. This is a video of close-ups of insect life on flowers, shot with a 90mm (35mm-equivalent) macro lens handheld. You cannot efficiently shoot dragonflies, butterflies and bees at work with tripods - these insects move around and you have to "capture" them opportunistically - you have to be able to move after them with camera and shoot while they are in place. Without stabilization, the close-up video would be unwatchable - way too jitter and shaky. Well, here is what you can get using the NX1 with DIS and OIS combined:

oh dear god, never in post.

Just tried warp stabilization on Premiere. Just for the motion analysis it takes about 30' for a less than 2' 4k clip. That is with a 8 core overclocked to 4.5Ghz machine! Not that cores matter since it is not a multi threaded computation.  

Now I agree with your point. I cannot imagine myself having to stabilize longer 4K footage. 

Just tried warp stabilization on Premiere. Just for the motion analysis it takes about 30' for a less than 2' 4k clip. That is with a 8 core overclocked to 4.5Ghz machine! Not that cores matter since it is not a multi threaded computation. 

But, 15x did the trick, right? ;-)

Maybe you are right and i'm asking for too much. I'm not an expert. But it doesn't seem to me so far from possible to have hevc 10bit 422 in full hd or even in 1998x1080. Maybe it overheats, maybe the processor can't handle it... But sometimes i have the feeling they don't do it just in order to sell more cameras in the future. 

And 6k raw with 240fps. 

Or maybe you should buy a Red Dragon ;) 

Actually, I would bet that 6k raw is possible. The NX1 down samples from 6k and there has to be considerable overhead in doing so. Clearly, 240 fps would not be possible, but 24 fps seems doable. Not sure about what it would take to convert a 6k image to h.265. But as crazy as it sounds, the NX1 might not be too far off.

Here is an example of why I think DIS is such an important breakthrough. This is a video of close-ups of insect life on flowers, shot with a 90mm (35mm-equivalent) macro lens handheld. You cannot efficiently shoot dragonflies, butterflies and bees at work with tripods - these insects move around and you have to "capture" them opportunistically - you have to be able to move after them with camera and shoot while they are in place. Without stabilization, the close-up video would be unwatchable - way too jitter and shaky. Well, here is what you can get using the NX1 with DIS and OIS combined:

Man I love Samsung colors. Stabilization's okay too. :p