Horizontal banding lines at 50fps & 1/100 shutter speed

trapdoorfilms

Hi,
I've come across something I don't know how to resolve.

I am filming in a hotel that has quite a yellow cast tranquil lighting throughout, not a problem. Then there is this area that has windows which let natural light in. It's a lighter area because of this, great...more light...BUT in this area I have suddenly got the banding lines?
I checked my shutter speed and fps, 50fps 1/100 shutter...i thought this should be ok. I dropped the shutter a slow as i can do manually, which was 1/60....this helped but doesn't eliminate the issue. When I moved back to another area that was actually dimmer....the lines go away. What's odd is that the artificial lighting was the same throughout the hotel...only when the natural window light came into play did this happen?
Has this got something to do with the mix of lighting....the artificial hotel lighting and natural light from the window? What is there left to do on a DSLR to tackle this issue? 

I'm using Canon 5D mkIII. Is there a setting on the camera to help with this. White balance didn't affect anything.

I didn't think this was an aperture issue as when I stopped down it didn't make any difference to the banding. Similarly, it had nothing to do with the volume of light as the darker area in the hotel was fine but this lighter area caused the issue???

Any help would be appreciated as we are shooting a wedding in 2 weeks and iv'e not come across this before.

Thanks

Martin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Sebv,

Thanks for your reply.

That's interesting, no I didn't try that. I would have thought shooting at an incompatible frame rate here in UK would have made it worse? Also, I'm not sure how to deal with that frame rate in post production as I would need the finished product in 25fps.

The natural light was daylight, no street lights on at the time.

The banding is horizontal and scrolls down the screen at a fair speed and looks like dark grey shadow lines.

Thanks

Martin

If in pal you could have shot it at 25 fps with a shutter speed of 50 would have been fine

or shoot at 50 fps with a shutter speed of 100 or more but with all the light inside closed using natural lighting from the windows and boosting your exposure

no prob

Hi Sebv,

As I mentioned in my post ...I was shooting at 50fps with shutter of 1/100. The matching of fps and shutter speed is not my dilemma.

I think you're misunderstanding that I was not struggling to get sufficient light, as the banding began to appear as I was nearer to the area where there was more light from the windows.

Thanks

Martin