What would you recommend if there were NO 4K?

smuncy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Lol!  M'man!  That F3 maneuver you pulled for $1,200 with 4:4:4 is classic!  Preach, brother! Preach!

Owning an F3 and BMPCC (the big and mini combo of high performance 1080 cameras) is going  a long way towards reducing the crippling GAS I suffer from!

Had a rather weird day today (DoP was no show!!!), but I was shooting with the PMW-F3 and damn I was really liking the look of some of those shots!

But even so... I still get tempted badly due to my case of GAS :-/ Purchased a Panasonic G6 a few days ago. And got very very tempted today to get a Sony RX100 mk1....  (US$260 is hard to resist!).

I would take a look at the Olympus em1 or em5 ii for the inbody image stabilization. It could take a lot of work out of post if you have any movement shots or even just following people around doing still hand held or shoulder rig shots. I thought the video quality was fine, but I'm new to 1080 video recording. If I didn't get a gh4 I would have gone with one of those most likely. 1080p is a lot easier to edit than 4k too unless you have a high end system built probably in the last year or two. Take a look at Sony movie studio 13 platinum. I'm using the trial and own premiere elements 13, but movie studio uses graphics acceleration if your card is supported plus has external monitor support for a second display. I can color correct and adjust lighting in movie studio with relativity smooth play back on a 4 year old machine, even 4k without proxies, but premeire elements 13 gets choppy right away and doesn't have graphics acceleration.