4K, Utub & LinusTT

Don Kotlos

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I get that content designated for youtube or Vimeo will be limited by the bitrate those services stream at. Even the 4k streaming looks only marginally better than 1080p when viewed on a 60" 4k flatscreen. I just haven't found a youtube video that holds up well on the big screen. But what about content destined for Blueray? Wouldn't blueray benefit from a 4k pipeline throughout? At least until the final rendering? I'm sure wedding professionals could answer this.

This video seems to be saying that if you're using anything less than professional gear that you might as well just shoot in 1080p and then render to 4k to get youtube's highest bitrate. Makes sense if all you're doing is making youtube content. Makes you wonder if youtube's 4k is even really 4k or only 1080 at a higher bitrate.

Sometimes I ramble too much.

I get that content designated for youtube or Vimeo will be limited by the bitrate those services stream at. Even the 4k streaming looks only marginally better than 1080p when viewed on a 60" 4k flatscreen. I just haven't found a youtube video that holds up well on the big screen. But what about content destined for Blueray? Wouldn't blueray benefit from a 4k pipeline throughout? At least until the final rendering? I'm sure wedding professionals could answer this.

This video seems to be saying that if you're using anything less than professional gear that you might as well just shoot in 1080p and then render to 4k to get youtube's highest bitrate. Makes sense if all you're doing is making youtube content. Makes you wonder if youtube's 4k is even really 4k or only 1080 at a higher bitrate.

Sometimes I ramble too much.

If you upload 4K then it uses a higher bitrate for the 1080p versus uploading in 1080p directly. 

That is because when you upload in 1080p it is stored for free whereas in 4K it counts against your storage limit. 

I haven't really compared the 1080p from 4K of the youtube with the 1080p of the Vimeo but they should use very similar bitrate.