EOSHD LOG Converter for the GH4

Andrew Reid

Feel free to keep experimenting though

Andrew, is it designed just for 4K or is it possible to use with 1080p as well? Do you think I could have some luck with "natural" profile (with contrast -3 and saturation all the way dawn)?
Thank you very much for your great work! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Andrew,

I purchased the GH4 log converter and all I can say is that it is great. I'm using it in final cut pro x and just dropping the converter in as a out, and then the canon log lut.  I just started using it with film convert as well, again it works great.  This was by far worth the money, I would have paid more.  Thanks again.

Andrew,

I purchased the GH4 log converter and all I can say is that it is great. I'm using it in final cut pro x and just dropping the converter in as a out, and then the canon log lut.  I just started using it with film convert as well, again it works great.  This was by far worth the money, I would have paid more.  Thanks again.

Does it work also with 1080p files or only with 4k? Thank you!

p.s.: wich LUT plugin do you use with Final Cut Pro X?

Super excited to try this later! It appears a few people are testing this converter without following the workflow & not digging the results. I can't download the guide until I'm home from work but I believe Andrew indicated you have to shoot with his cinema profile settings for optimal results and any other "settings" (supertone, natural, etc) with it are purely experimental. Thanks for the guide, dude!!

Super excited to try this later! It appears a few people are testing this converter without following the workflow & not digging the results. I can't download the guide until I'm home from work but I believe Andrew indicated you have to shoot with his cinema profile settings for optimal results and any other "settings" (supertone, natural, etc) with it are purely experimental. Thanks for the guide, dude!!

The 1DC LUT is optimized by using Cine V, but (correct me if I'm wrong Andrew) the LOG converter works just as well with any of the contrasted profiles (just not Cine D). I've used several Log LUTs other than the 1DC and it's pretty spot on. You may just have to tweak the green/magenta bias a bit.

Andrew,

If I use Filmconvert with the GH4 profile won't that automatically perform pre-compensation so that all footage (GH4, A7S, Alexa, Red etc) is mapped into the same color space before applying the LUT?  Would this buy me anything there?  I can see that if you're applying external LUTs (which assume SLOG) to the footage it might be useful.

eris

The 1DC LUT is optimized by using Cine V, but (correct me if I'm wrong Andrew) the LOG converter works just as well with any of the contrasted profiles (just not Cine D). I've used several Log LUTs other than the 1DC and it's pretty spot on. You may just have to tweak the green/magenta bias a bit.

The guide talks about cc15 input/output but on CC14 I'm assuming you drag & drop the "converter" as a lumetri effect to flatten the image first? This resulted in heavy contrast & strong magenta after I added the output lut. My colors looked similar to xrayspecs Flipping them seemed to correct it.. so in CC14 you drag & drop the output first and then the converter lut? Weird. I skipped the transcoding below and rushed into Premiere with an Arri lut first and then added the converter. Honey Smacks. noms

SVXGbUt.jpg

The guide talks about cc15 input/output but on CC14 I'm assuming you drag & drop the "converter" as a lumetri effect to flatten the image first? This resulted in heavy contrast & strong magenta after I added the output lut. My colors looked similar to xrayspecs Flipping them seemed to correct it.. so in CC14 you drag & drop the output first and then the converter lut? Weird. I skipped the transcoding below and rushed into Premiere with an Arri lut first and then added the converter. Honey Smacks. noms

SVXGbUt.jpg

Yeah I'm guessing in CC 2014 you would make an adjustment layer and add 2 LUTS. First one on the chain would be the converter, second the look/style LUT.

Hi Andrew:

I'm a long-time reader, just taking baby steps after much hesitation.  I have an LX100 (a travel cam, and also used underwater, in a scuba housing - it rocks at both).  Would these LUTs work on my video clips from the LX100 (since it runs on the same Panasonic engine, but does not have the CineV and CineD profiles)?

Regards,

Basil

Hi Andrew:

I'm a long-time reader, just taking baby steps after much hesitation.  I have an LX100 (a travel cam, and also used underwater, in a scuba housing - it rocks at both).  Would these LUTs work on my video clips from the LX100 (since it runs on the same Panasonic engine, but does not have the CineV and CineD profiles)?

Regards,

Basil

I'm betting that it would. Want to send me a still and I can convert it and add a LUT?

Hi Andrew and everyone else!

I've been following you for a while and I really like your work. Where of I have decided to buy this Log Converter Lut.

Congratulations, beacuse the Lut looks very promising.. However, I have to agree with the ones who are claiming that the result looks a bit magenta/red straight from the workflow that you indicates in the pdf.

I'm skipping the transcoding process so I'm applying the Input Log with Lumetri in Premiere and then Filmconvert Canon 1-DC Log Lut.

I have attached some samples: 1-straigh from the camera (using Cine V and the other tips you recommend in your guide); 2-After lumetri input log; 3-After Filmconvert Canon 1DC (KD 5207 Vis3 film settings, without any other changes than setting filmgrain to zero).

I just wanted to show those to you guys in order to get light on this, maybe we need to apply some other workflows or is it the Lut that would need some corrections?

Apologise for my poor English!

1-Cine V.png

2-Cine V + Input Lut.png

3-Cine V + Input Lut + Filmconver Canon 1DC Lut.png

SVXGbUt.jpg

This looks simply amazing!! So please could you please give more details, like how do you apply this Arri Lut first, and which one,... Thanks!

Hi Andrew and everyone else!

I've been following you for a while and I really like your work. Where of I have decided to buy this Log Converter Lut.

Congratulations, beacuse the Lut looks very promising.. However, I have to agree with the ones who are claiming that the result looks a bit magenta/red straight from the workflow that you indicates in the pdf.

I'm skipping the transcoding process so I'm applying the Input Log with Lumetri in Premiere and then Filmconvert Canon 1-DC Log Lut.

I have attached some samples: 1-straigh from the camera (using Cine V and the other tips you recommend in your guide); 2-After lumetri input log; 3-After Filmconvert Canon 1DC (KD 5207 Vis3 film settings, without any other changes than setting filmgrain to zero).

I just wanted to show those to you guys in order to get light on this, maybe we need to apply some other workflows or is it the Lut that would need some corrections?

Apologise for my poor English!

1-Cine V.png

2-Cine V + Input Lut.png

3-Cine V + Input Lut + Filmconver Canon 1DC Lut.png

This looks simply amazing!! So please could you please give more details, like how do you apply this Arri Lut first, and which one,... Thanks!

After reading this thread I started playing around with converter LUTs and film stock (not Andrew's but from Visioncolor) and to my surprise I got some interesting results. What do you guys think?

(I played around with the opacity/intensity of both the converter LUT and film stock LUT to get a desired result. This might help dial down the unwanted magenta you guys seam to have)

LUT test_1.5.1.png