EOSHD LOG Converter for the GH4

Andrew Reid

This looks simply amazing!! So please could you please give more details, like how do you apply this Arri Lut first, and which one,... Thanks!

Man, my crazy color shift is probably a combination of the h.264 codec and filming in the MP4 container since I skipped the transcoding.... I guess. I'm getting a strong magenta tint with heavy contrast by applying the luts in the order Andrew intended. I upgraded to cc15 just to verify it wasn't software related and its not. Same magenta issues. If I reverse the lut order the problem corrects itself and additional tweaking is barely required with any lut. Weird

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The guide talks about cc15 input/output but on CC14 I'm assuming you drag & drop the "converter" as a lumetri effect to flatten the image first? This resulted in heavy contrast & strong magenta after I added the output lut. My colors looked similar to xrayspecs Flipping them seemed to correct it.. so in CC14 you drag & drop the output first and then the converter lut? Weird. I skipped the transcoding below and rushed into Premiere with an Arri lut first and then added the converter. Honey Smacks. noms

The order in Premiere is the top most effect gets processed first. Subsequent effects get added on top. If you add an effect A then an effect B, the effect B will be placed above (and thus before) effect A. So if you're adding LUTs you would indeed add the output then the input. 

After reading this thread I started playing around with converter LUTs and film stock (not Andrew's but from Visioncolor) and to my surprise I got some interesting results. What do you guys think?

(I played around with the opacity/intensity of both the converter LUT and film stock LUT to get a desired result. This might help dial down the unwanted magenta you guys seam to have)

LUT test_1.5.1.png

I aprreciate you took some time to play with this clip and try to fix this magenta issue, but I was more looking for a general solution..

In any case with no feedback from Andrew.. and V-LOG finally coming to our GH4's this might be a bit irrelevant now..?

I aprreciate you took some time to play with this clip and try to fix this magenta issue, but I was more looking for a general solution..

In any case with no feedback from Andrew.. and V-LOG finally coming to our GH4's this might be a bit irrelevant now..?

I just bought this and played around with it. I think it is relevant for anyone who has been filming cine v and wishes to continue doing so until the update comes along. I am in the middle of a travel piece and this will allow me to quickly grade without too many headaches, so I am chuffed. I will probably keep using it for personal and lo/ no budget work in the future.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents of experience with Andrew's Log Converter.

I've shot a couple of little jobs with it and it's been absolutely great for me. I transcode my footage to Prores with the LUT applied, and in the latest version of Premiere I use Premiere's 1DC input LUT in the Basic panel (made by the SpeedLooks guys), and choose one of the built in LUTs (I like the Clean Punch HDR) in the Creative panel. That gets me rich, punchy colours, and great skin tones -- really, cleaning up skin tones is by far the best bit about the Log Converter. 

The other thing I like about the Log Converter is that I can shoot a pretty contrasty look in camera (using Andrew's in camera settings), so I get a good sense of what I'm looking at. I find it difficult to get the mojo going looking a flat flat images, and I love that I can see a punchy image on camera and know that I have a reasonable amount of flexibility in post. 

Below is a screenshot from a job where I used those settings (her skin is a bit red because she had red brick walls on both sides of her).

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary, but for me it's a total winner. Thanks Andrew!

example.jpg

I just wanted to throw in my two cents of experience with Andrew's Log Converter.

I've shot a couple of little jobs with it and it's been absolutely great for me. I transcode my footage to Prores with the LUT applied, and in the latest version of Premiere I use Premiere's 1DC input LUT in the Basic panel (made by the SpeedLooks guys), and choose one of the built in LUTs (I like the Clean Punch HDR) in the Creative panel. That gets me rich, punchy colours, and great skin tones -- really, cleaning up skin tones is by far the best bit about the Log Converter. 

The other thing I like about the Log Converter is that I can shoot a pretty contrasty look in camera (using Andrew's in camera settings), so I get a good sense of what I'm looking at. I find it difficult to get the mojo going looking a flat flat images, and I love that I can see a punchy image on camera and know that I have a reasonable amount of flexibility in post. 

Below is a screenshot from a job where I used those settings (her skin is a bit red because she had red brick walls on both sides of her).

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary, but for me it's a total winner. Thanks Andrew!

example.jpg

Nice capture. It still looks a bit red to my eyes.. but difficult to judge if there were red brick walls around her.

I just wanted to update you with my expierence. Althought I have to confess that I expected a little bit more support from Andrew (sorry but true!), the Log Lut Converter make it's job, as long as I've been using it for a couple of works since I bought it, and my GH4 footage matches very well now with my Canon 5D MkIII footage :) after a little bit of adjustment to avoid this red/magenta dominants. So, althought it is not ready out of the box (in my opinion!) it has proved to be very usefull for me!

Excuse me one more time for my poor english..

Cheers everybody!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm also interested on a comparison between Andrew's Log converter versus V-log.
And now that GH4 users already have a true Log profile, would be possible for us G7 users to have a log converter?
I've read that our Russian friend Vitaly (GH2 Hack) might try to hack the Panasonic G7. Are we looking for the on budget king?!