EOSHD LOG Converter for the GH4

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Interesting, but can we see a GH4 -> "Log" -> CLog LUT applied comparison, too, at full res?

I'm especially interested in what that transform gives us for skin tones and foliage.

I'm working on an edit as we speak.

It transforms skin tones. Much less yellow cast to warm hues.

I would really like to know how this works...
If I understood correctly this is what happens:
I have footage from the GH4, filmed with the specific settings (EOSHD Cinema Profile) that you researched and find best fitting for the LOG profile, which is applied much like a LUT is, which manipulates color so that it more closely resmbles a LOG profile, so you can then put a "real" LUT over it, which works better now, than before where you just had the standard footage out of the GH4. Right? (sorry for the long and confusing sentence)

I have footage from the GH4, filmed with the specific settings (EOSHD Cinema Profile) that you researched and find best fitting for the LOG profile, which is applied much like a LUT is, which manipulates color so that it more closely resmbles a LOG profile, so you can then put a "real" LUT over it, which works better now, than before where you just had the standard footage out of the GH4. Right? (sorry for the long and confusing sentence)

That sounds right.

• Administrators

Yes all correct sir.

Also you can apply the LOG LUT in the transcode, then you get the LOG ProRes as if it has come straight from the camera as LOG.

I prefer to edit ProRes to H.264. 4K bogs down too much in H.264 on my Macbook Pro.

In actual fact you don't need to understand any of this, or anything about LOG and LUTs as the instruction manual that comes with the EOSHD LOG Converter has a beginners tutorial on this stuff.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

You can apply the LOG LUT in the transcode, then you get the LOG ProRes as if it has come straight from the camera as LOG.

Aha.

Andrew, so here's the thing, I don't actually buy you believe this, I've known you for a long time to tell you know better.

Only thing I can think of is a mis-typing. 

• Administrators

Aha.

Andrew, so here's the thing, I don't actually buy you believe this, I've known you for a long time to tell you know better.

Only thing I can think of is a mis-typing. 

Calm down sir. It is only a way of explaining it which makes sense.

If it had a LOG profile in-camera yes you would get around half a stop of maybe 1 stop extra dynamic range as it would optimise the image processing for the sensor.

The conversion in post gives you all the other benefits of LOG.

Thanks! I'm looking to get a new camera fairly soon, and owning the gh3 (and a crapload of m43 lenses), I am mainly looking at m43 cameras. Obviously the gh4 is high on the list and if I get it, I will be getting your bundle. I did buy your shooters guide for gh3 also, and that was very useful too!