G7 with decent zoom for under a grand?

Mat Mayer

I have decided to forget about the fancy new Rx10ii and get the G7. Bigger sensor, better video, on a par with the GH4. I want to spend less than £1,000 ($1600) if possible. Please can you help me choose which lens?

Requirements and shooting style:

• outdoor video generally in decent light (I don't care about stills)
  • mostly landscape videos
  • zoom range isn't too important but I want a bit of scope so no primes please (plus I often walk through water to find my shot so I can't be changing lenses)
  • everything will be shot on a tripod, no panning, no zooming (super cheap tripod as they go in the sea, so the battery on the bottom of the G7 will hopefully not be an issue), image stabilization is irrelevant to me.
  • I am open to different mounts "if" a cheap £20/$30 adaptor won't harm the image. I did look at the Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4.0 L USM Lens, thinking maybe I would use it with Metabones or another camera in future. I believe Nikon might be better value?
  • happy to have manual focus but of course it is nice to have auto for the very occasional time when I can't use the screen or evf
  • the camera is £500, I will also need a variable ND and extra battery, so £400 ($700) is the sweet spot for the lens, but I am willing to go a bit higher. 
  • I have looked at the Panasonic 14-140ii but the reports of jittery video put me off
  • currently looking at the Panasonic H-HS12035E Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm but really unsure if suitable (being a noob)

Any help would be much appreciated (have been reading forums and specs for weeks now, feels like I am wasting my life). Please don't suggest alternative cameras, I have decided the RX10ii and FZ1000 have a sensor which is too small for an A cam. The LX100 and NX500 are not good enough, plus I need 20 mins record time which they don't all do.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How about the Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 w/ Nikon mount and a Chinese R.J., Zhongyi/ZY Optics or eBay, focal reducer/lens turbo?

Thanks Cinegain. I am pretty sure that lens has cropped up many times in my searches. With the focal reducer it is over budget but certainly doable as I want to do this right.

I read mixed opinions about the focal reducers e.g. someone said one causes flair or something, so gave up looking at them as I imagined that would be an issue outdoors when it is best to shoot late afternoon (I am kind of guessing though).

These videos need to be immaculate on massive UHD screens, so no imperfections allowed. If people are forking out the big money on Metabones it makes me think the cheaper alternatives must be poor quality in some way. Would it be better to get a cheaper adaptor which doesn't affect focal length and save up for a Metabones if and when I need it? I would rather have to walk back a bit than half ass the focal reducer.

edit: started reading up on focal reducers and a UK one called Camdiox won't allow infinity focusing- sheeeeeet, I use that all the time. Also maybe no aperture control and poor edges. Others are proving elusive on eBay UK. As I suspected it appears like it might be false economy to get a nice Sigma lens and then ruin it with one of these.

Optically there's not much wrong with the cheaper focal reducers, wouldn't call 'em 'poor' performers or 'half assed', there's tons of comparisons online showing you just what they're capable of; but indeed you might get one and run into some blue dot ghosting when pointing directly at a light source with some of these. Also seems to depend on the lens used with it. Not sure if it's a thing that's totally absent on the Metabones. I believe they had some yellow/green lubricant issue themselves and with their Sony mounted adapters some weird side-effects because of the inner coating of the Speedbooster? For myself I couldn't justify the price for the Speedbooster, as in sharpness and rendering the R.J. one doesn't leave me wishing for a whole lot more and haven't really run into any problems. But if you want the absolute best of the best, well, I'm hoping there's a reason the Metabones remain the most popular and priciest.

The new Ultra XL with factor 0.64x does seem like a cool option from Metabones. Just get a regular Fotga adapter (no glass, but aperture control ring Nikon -> M43) for the 18-35mm, then widen it up with one of those when needed. With all the crops going on, it's nice to have something going fairly wide.

Thanks again, but... Just looked up the Fotga and it gets bad reviews. People on Amazon say it can damage your lens. Quotes from 3 reviews out of a total of 7 (all 3 got 1 star): "Terrible - buy anthing else", "Warning - May damage your lens", "Poor design... got jammed". Someone says the aperture ring is not smooth and there is no autofocus (so it is taking features away from the camera and lens as well as being less than ideal). Sorry but I haven't made it clear in my post- I am not looking for a quick fix or temporary solution. I don't want to cut corners with cheap equipment that could break the lens. I want stuff that works, not stuff that might work or might break while I'm in the middle of nowhere in a third world country with no way of fixing it. Sorry if I sound ungrateful, I do appreciate the advice, I am sure the Fotga works for most people but I need stuff that gets 4-5 stars and works for everyone.

These normal adapters aren't rocket science. Therefor of course autofocus doesn't work. It doesn't have any electronics. They run you maybe 12 to 15 dollars. I found the Nikon (G) -> M43 solid and reliable. Really can't fault 'em. Solid metal. Ring works fine. No cringing fit on the body or lens (like I had with a SLR Magic lens to my E-M1, guess no such thing as standardized mount). Perhaps I'm the luckiest guy in the world never to have any issues with the cheap stuff I get... maybe they're refering to other mount adapters other than the one in question (maybe Minolta MD to M43, M42 to M43, although all of these work just fine over here). Also, there's always user error and people that like to complain on the internet. You see more frustrated people in need of a place to vent than people being happy and satisfied. Not sure. I have a number of things from Fotga, all but one that's a little iffy perhaps are perfectly fine.

But then again, maybe I have a little too realistic expectations and too low standards? The only thing I wouldn't recommend cheaping out on is no name batteries, memory cards and a tripod(head). A lot of other things I do find worth exploring to save some pennies. But up to you, really. If you feel better with more expensive stuff that only has raving reviews, then that's the path for you. Nothing wrong with that either... you just need to whip out the cash or go without it until you can.

I think I might play it safe and go with the Panasonic Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm, unless there are any other choices that pop up in the next 16 hours. After a bit of reading it seems a better fit: 

The Sigma is the better lens but that is before an adaptor/booster is added. It is also heavier- I use cheap $15 tripods so they are lightweight for off road and can be thrown away after using in saltwater or mud. I know what you mean about a good tripod head- I had to stick paper in to try and keep it steady at first which was no good; but then figured out how to keep it steady with a better version. The Sigma might not balance on these tripods properly, they are really lightweight and unstable unless you dig them into the ground, which isn't always possible (then it is fill a sandbag time).

The panasonic is going to fit, better for travel and seems to be the right price at £460. Will check out more opinions on it later. Anymore more thoughts most welcome :)

I think I might play it safe and go with the Panasonic Lumix G X VARIO 12-35mm, unless there are any other choices that pop up in the next 16 hours. After a bit of reading it seems a better fit: 

The Sigma is the better lens but that is before an adaptor/booster is added. It is also heavier- I use cheap $15 tripods so they are lightweight for off road and can be thrown away after using in saltwater or mud. I know what you mean about a good tripod head- I had to stick paper in to try and keep it steady at first which was no good; but then figured out how to keep it steady with a better version. The Sigma might not balance on these tripods properly, they are really lightweight and unstable unless you dig them into the ground, which isn't always possible (then it is fill a sandbag time).

The panasonic is going to fit, better for travel and seems to be the right price at £460. Will check out more opinions on it later. Anymore more thoughts most welcome :)

I love the 12-35. You'll definitely get more use out of it with a wider angle, OIS, and light weight.

Thanks Aaron, but I just had a thought (like in Batman when he used to say "Robin that plan might just work"): I could get the weather sealed, longer battery, more video controls and future V Log in the behemoth GH4 and get it with the cheap kit lens: 14-42 F3.5-5.6 MKII for a very similar price to the G7 with the 12-35. I know you are supposed to favor glass but it doesn't sound like a terrible lens, for now. At least I will have the proper camera and can upgrade to the 12-35 when I can? 

GH4 with cheap kit lens (14-42) or G7 with better lens (12-35)?

edit:

Case closed. I went for the 14-45 which was better reviewed than the 14-42 and the GH f-king 4. Got a G1 in the mix too, no idea if that is any good but it was free with the lens. What a relief, the search is over:blush:

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Got a G1 in the mix too, no idea if that is any good but it was free with the lens. 

Ah the G1, the one that started it all. The first m43s, first Mirrorless with EVF. Before the age of video but it produced better results than my Canon 450D (yep it's that era). The subsequent variations of the camera led to the GH4 creation. 

Have fun with the GH4, with the 14-45mm it's certainly a great choice for landscape shooting. 

Thanks for the affirmation Ebrahim. I can tell I have made the right decision before I even have the gear in my hands. It just feels right, like when I first held my 600D. Looking forward to becoming a lens nerd browsing used gear shops in Thailand and ordering off eBay when in UK. Going to check out the G1 on Youtube now to see what it can do, if nothing fun/useful will see if anyone wants to trade it for an interesting lens.

Keep in mind that the kit lens isn't weather sealed, so your body won't be either with it on. 

Thanks for letting me know. 

I have nikkor 28-70 2.8 for sale, great lens specially with a speedbooster.

Looks good. I saw a comparison of the Sigma 18-35 (on Metabones) with the Panasonic 12-35 and it was very noticeable, so the Sigma or something like yours (might be better range for me) should be next. For now hopefully I'll be happy with the kit lens and I want to get into sound more, which doesn't sound cheap.

I want to have nice surround sound for the landscapes. Research has not brought up the solution yet: there is a dedicated dolby 7.1 mic for $6k, or I could spread several mics around the area but would have to watch out for phrasing apparently, or maybe just go with two mics for a stereo sound for now. That could be a whole new research plan, so will probably pop that on the back burner for now and just get out there instead. There is always stock audio and half of the time there is traffic noise with landscapes in the UK and Southeast Asia anyway.

I've been using RJ Lens Turbo and Nikon G adapters from the start. They're great, nothing "quick fix" about them!

You'd have to be an absolute bonkers idiot of the first degree to damage your lenses with one of these. And as you're smart enough to read EOSHD and post on this forum I'd say you're not that :-)