New EOSHD setup guide gives Samsung NX1 LOG capability and more

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Thanks for trying it.

I gave ClipToolz Convert V2 a try, I got Windows 8.1 x64 at first it would not work properly but under Windows 7 compatibility mode and administration right it ran fine, the LUT wont work on all codecs but I tried the ProRes 4k with 422 colour space and 10bit the only available option for it, and it takes 1080p and 2160p just fine with the LUT and it looks pretty good. 

The interface is a bit lack-cluster but its better than nothing I suppose. Its also VERY slow, at most its 25fps for a 25p footage, I suppose it has to render the LUT data into the footage. 

25fps for 25p is realtime encoding so actually rather good... was that for H.265 to Prores?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for trying it.

25fps for 25p is realtime encoding so actually rather good... was that for H.265 to Prores?

The encoding I tested was HEVC -> ProRes 422HQ

In the program I had to select ProRes 4k in order to be able to apply the LUT, I tested it both with 1080p100 and 2160p25 and it applied the LUT fine, some of my older 1080p25 overcranked footage before the increasing bitrate firmware came I see extreme banding in the sky but that might also just be me tweaking the settings to give me a flat profile with this ¤/!%#@( 8bit codec.

The 1080p100 footage wont convert in ProRes 4k mode, I assumed its because ProRes does not support 100 fps or the program is simply incapable of it, though it will slow the footage down for you.

DNxHD does not have the LUT option available its greyed out for some reasons, MXF is useless it gets wrapper problems, the MPEG Intra are 8bit only also useless, the TIFF 48bit mode worked fine for me as well with the LUT so did H264 export. 

As for 25fps render for a 25p project file which was for ProRes, my computer is quite beefy so it tends to spit out 10 minute HEVC files in RockyMountains Converter in 2 minutes to ProRes

Tested ClipToolz Convert V2 and it was on par in terms of speed with RockyMountains Converter in my unscientific test. It didn't add brightness or lowered the contrast as RMC does. Really strange thing, clips converted with ClipToolz crashed my Premiere when applying a curve. Don't know what causes the problem since clips converted in RMC with the same settings works fine. ClipToolz + Windows 10 = bad date? 

Haven't bougt Andrew's guide yet but i'm considering it. Grading Gamma DR works great but it's always fun to try new things.

Will definitely keep an eye for a ClipToolz update!

Tested ClipToolz Convert V2 and it was on par in terms of speed with RockyMountains Converter in my unscientific test. It didn't add brightness or lowered the contrast as RMC does. Really strange thing, clips converted with ClipToolz crashed my Premiere when applying a curve. Don't know what causes the problem since clips converted in RMC with the same settings works fine. ClipToolz + Windows 10 = bad date? 

Haven't bougt Andrew's guide yet but i'm considering it. Grading Gamma DR works great but it's always fun to try new things.

Will definitely keep an eye for a ClipToolz update!

What settings did you have in ClipToolz? Also did you run it in compatibility mode + administration rights checked? 

What settings did you have in ClipToolz? Also did you run it in compatibility mode + administration rights checked? 

Prores 4k 422 LT, but i tried most of them. Yes, ran it with both compatibility mode (win 7 + 8) and administration rights with no success. Most likely there's something wrong with my system since no one has reported anything similar to this. I mean, it's a pretty strange crash.

I don't use any of the Samsung S zooms... too big an investment just for one camera when I have so many other lenses I'm afraid. 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 is nice. I just don't think it is particularly good value for money.

Video below is how to apply a built in REC 709 LUT to LOG footage in FCPX. Note you will need to use EditReady to apply the custom GammaDR2LOG LUT that I created, then select S-LOG 2 or Canon LOG in FCPX, then grade it in the colour correction effect. Let me know if it works.

Alternatively there are LUT plugins for FCPX like this one: http://www.colorgradingcentral.com/lututility

With that you can load any LUT you like and are not restricted merely to turning LOG footage into Rec.709 which is what the presets built into FCPX do.

Thanks Andrew! I did try your workflow and apply the built in REC 709 LUT in FCPX to the EditReady converted clip (with your NX1 log) but the exposure is way washed out after I applied any of the built in LUTs. Of course I can adjust the exposure in the Color Correction panel later.

My workflow:

1.I convert the original H265 file to ProRes LT in iFFmpeg (as I don't have the purchased version of EditReady) 

2.I use Lututility to apply your GammaDR2LOG LUT first to the original NX1 video clip (with your video setting in the guide) then stack another LUT (Sony Slog2 to Rec 709) on the top

I just wonder if it is the same as your workflow in the guide.

Also please tell me where can I find or purchase the EOSHD Canon 1DC LUT you used in the introduction video.

Thanks!

John

Andrew, this is slightly off topic as it pertains to the NX500, but I am really curious what your findings are... as far as settings? I have just completed my second to last round of tests, and to be honest, as Mat Meyer had said, I was totally overthinking this camera... especially for my lack of grading skills.

Wow, very impressed with cliptoolz. Ran fine for me and very fast conversion. Best part is the size conversion tools.  I rarely need full 4K, especially for projects I'm finalizing in 1080p, I just tested entering in 2880x1620 under prores 4K in the initial conversion  and it kicks out 3K files that work great in premiere! NICE!

• Administrators

Andrew, this is slightly off topic as it pertains to the NX500, but I am really curious what your findings are... as far as settings? I have just completed my second to last round of tests, and to be honest, as Mat Meyer had said, I was totally overthinking this camera... especially for my lack of grading skills.

You don't need grading skills as a filmmaker, usually most filmmakers pass their footage onto a colourist anyway.

What would help, and what you might find enjoyable is simply to learn how to apply a LUT and what LOG is.

As the NX1 guide explains basically... a LUT is a style, a mood, a file describing the look of footage, a bit like a picture profile in-camera (Standard, faithful, etc.) or a film stock (Kodak, Fuji) but with the advantage of you being able to pick this in the edit and not being lumbered with whatever the camera was set to when you shot. A LUT is applied like an effect. Couple of clicks and you are done.

LOG is the gamma curve that makes the image work with the LUT, the foundation for nice colour correction basically.

Again that is applied with a few clicks on the timeline or in your transcoding app - i.e. EditReady (can't recommend that app enough!)

Have you used Film Convert?

I downloaded the trial of both Film Convert and Color Finale, and found both to be great programs. I will probably go forward with Color Finale for budget reasons and because it seems to be a more all around color tool. And yes, EditReady is awesome, super fast. But you're right I really enjoyed applying LUTS in color finale. Are there any plans for an NX500 guide and LOG and/or LUT?

You don't need grading skills as a filmmaker, usually most filmmakers pass their footage onto a colourist anyway.

What would help, and what you might find enjoyable is simply to learn how to apply a LUT and what LOG is.

As the NX1 guide explains basically... a LUT is a style, a mood, a file describing the look of footage, a bit like a picture profile in-camera (Standard, faithful, etc.) or a film stock (Kodak, Fuji) but with the advantage of you being able to pick this in the edit and not being lumbered with whatever the camera was set to when you shot. A LUT is applied like an effect. Couple of clicks and you are done.

LOG is the gamma curve that makes the image work with the LUT, the foundation for nice colour correction basically.

Again that is applied with a few clicks on the timeline or in your transcoding app - i.e. EditReady (can't recommend that app enough!)

Have you used Film Convert?

I found a different way of converting footage with LUT, basically you use RockyMountains Movie Converter, convert the h265 to ProRes 422HQ, and then use Adobe Media Encoder CC/2014/2015 to convert the footage to either ProRes 422LT or DNxHD185 with 10bit. 

Is a bit tedious but its the only way I found for Windows to reliable convert these 100FPS footage with the LUT, its great if I want to give off the footage to someone else without having to share the LUT as well because the footage is already converted with it.

There is also Hybrid by selur.de that comes with Apple ProRes and DNxHD natively also supports x265 if someone wants more advanced controls than the simple interface of RockyMountains Movie Converter.

I hope ClipToolz implements support for 100fps in their ProRes.

Dont know what occ is? Out of camera I used the Camer Settings Instructions from Andrew's PDF

Edit ready H.265 to ProRes LT with the NX 1 cube file.  

I use the LG 31MU37 UHD in calibrated Adobe Colorspace, maybe this is the good greens coming from?

But the FCP X Window has not the same color's contrast after exporting it  to VLC and Quicktime

Grading settings here:

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 um 22.03.21.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 um 22.03.17.jpg

absolutly not the same colors as exported to VLC!

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 um 22.03.12.jpg

after export in VLC ADOBE

VLC ADOBE.jpg

Hi,

One of the "issues" with the NX1 is time to convert HEVC. So using a LUT will speed up, thanks for helping the community with this. But I was thinking differently: can we get a setting out of the box, straight from camera and still have a cinematic look?

Here are my settings:

Settings:
Gamma DR
Saturation -2
Sharpness -5
Contrast +5     yes, it is really plus 5
Hue 0
Hand held

HEVC convert with ffmpeg script:

echo start > ff.log

date >> ff.log

for F in *.MP4