NX500 Lowlight Test

mercer

As some may know, I have been messing around with the settings while I test out the NX500. Some of my tests have been moderately successful, and some have been disastrous.

A couple people wanted to see some lowlight examples, so I took a few shots in a dark room, lit only by the window, with a Minolta MD 24-50mm f/3.5 zoom lens. Obviously, these shots, especially the middle shot is too dark, as I am entirely silhouetted, but it may give you an idea how this camera performs in such lighting conditions. 

As always I shot in Cinema 4K at 24p, and used a Custom Profile with the Sharpness at -5, Saturation at -5, and Contrast at -5.

From my tests thus far, this is the best straight from camera set up for my tastes. Though this test is straight from camera with zero post, I have been attempting to grade some NX500 footage a little, so in the future I may try even lower settings in the Custom Profile.

Thanks for your patience, suggestions, and interest as I figure out the best set up for this camera... for my taste. Like others, I have come from a Canon DSLR background, which is pretty simple to get a decent image with a dialed down Neutral, but the NX500 has thrown my amateur skill set for a loop. So, in no way should my videos be a testament to what this camera is capable of... I'm sure in other hands, one could achieve stunning results... because I am blown away when I receive moderately okay results.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well Glenn. It looks workable and good in low light. Never knew what you looked like.

Haha, yeah that is me in all of bald glory. I should have tested the lowlight with a faster lens. I have a couple 50mm 1.4 lenses but with the crop factor, I don't think I can wide enough for the room. But I do have the FD 28mm f/2 lens, that baby should give me enough width and the aperture should open enough to make a big difference with the lowlight test. I'll also try to bring up the highlights and shadows to see what I can save from the darkened image. 

Here is my recent test. I used a custom profile with saturation at -8, sharpness at -10, and contrast at -8. I then used the free trial of Color Finale to apply the Alexa to Rec709 LUT and the other tools to further grade the shots. Don't expect much, this is the first footage I have ever graded. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Love the commentary, you should consider producing meditational audio tapes. :d

Haha, I forgot to lower the volume. When I go out, I am testing 10 different lenses at a time with 3 or 4 different profiles. If I don't narrate it, I'll never remember my settings.