Stumbled upon a possible GH4 color enhancing trick

AaronChicago

Hey video and film lovers,

Messed around with an Input Lut for flatening the footage before grading. More messing aroung with curves and color wheels.

Don´t know, if it would have done better without the Input LUT?

Footage is lowlight. Rest of the info in the video. It´s G6 all -2 on Natural. Quiet happy, though I recognize the obvious flaws, not the less obvious ones though:)

If I can be happy with my G6 for low light footage and a somehow filmic Gestalt, then GH4 should do easily. 10bit, killer!

By the way, why doesn´t anyone put out a YAGH like device, little smaller with big internal battery?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey video and film lovers,

Messed around with an Input Lut for flatening the footage before grading. More messing aroung with curves and color wheels.

Don´t know, if it would have done better without the Input LUT?

Footage is lowlight. Rest of the info in the video. It´s G6 all -2 on Natural. Quiet happy, though I recognize the obvious flaws, not the less obvious ones though:)

If I can be happy with my G6 for low light footage and a somehow filmic Gestalt, then GH4 should do easily. 10bit, killer!

By the way, why doesn´t anyone put out a YAGH like device, little smaller with big internal battery?

Did you use the LOG converter? I agree about the YAGH with battery power. Sturdy SDI out from GH4 would be great. Especially with upcoming V Log.

Yeah I have actually been using it with Natural and Portrait. I think the 1DC LUT is optimized by using Cine V.

Hallo Aaron,

Was looking for some G6 profile for Resolve and found this. The author states, Portrait has the most amount of Reds. It´s supporting your find,

which I will check out definately! I will be watching out the greyish spots in skintones and not going too flat, keeping color and contrast around

0/-2, like Zak Forsman is doing too- rather flatening the footage in post.

So here are the findings about Portrait and other Panny G6 profiles:

http://gro.solexiv.de/2014/02/panasonic-g6-color-profiles/

I'll definitely give Standard another day in court because it's been a long time since i did my tests of each profile, but I haven't had any issues keeping reds red in Natural. And I found it produced the best skintones.

It's something I "discovered" after shooting a 2 camera shot with both GH4 and G6.
It was some months I did not use the G6 (normally I use the GH4) and I tried to match them in order to have less problems during the color correction.
And with "natural" with saturation all the way down and contrast -3 I had pretty consistent images between the two cameras and great skin tones - something I normally have to work with when I use Cinelike-D.

Yeah, that Alexa LUT does make for a nice look. It's little more contrasty than I'd like to go, personally. But an excellent starting point overall. Here's some more clips shot in the Natural profile (0, -5, -5, -2, 0) that I've applied my own custom LUT to. 

Wow, amazing footage! Never seen something like that from a GH4! 
If you have any suggestion to share... I'm here :)