Lenses for Sony A7Rii

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What do you want to do with it?

I don't have that camera but would use the same lenses as I do with an A7s with maybe the exception of the 28-70 FE kit lens.

The Sony Zeiss 55 1.8, the Canon 135 f2 L more for stills.     The Canon 17 and 24 TS-E lenses for wide angle.    The cheap little Canon 40 2.8 STM and the cheap A mount 85 2.8 SAM are all lenses I like.     For my limited amateur video (I am just recording live music) I would just use either of my Canon TS-E lenses.     Sometimes straight and sometimes slightly shifted.

• Administrators

By one of these do you mean the Sony FE mount lenses?

The 55mm F1.8 is my favourite.

I went through all the others (Canon, Nikon, Zeiss, M42, Olympus, etc.) here - http://www.eoshd.com/eoshd-shooters-guide-sony-a7-a7r-lenses/

Well worth a read as I rate each and every one and point out the hidden gems for cheap.

I would be looking to do video. I want something that would work well on a gimbal like the Ronin M, or cameTV single. So does this mean autofocus and primes? I very much like the motion that these systems create. I also want the ability to get in close for intimacy with the characters. 

I'm open to suggestions.

This lens is great for gimbal use- 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582764-REG/Sony_SAL1635Z_SAL_1635Z_16_35mm_f_2_8_ZA.html

It can take advantage of continuous AF and has a handy zoom range.  I've found at least on the Movi M5 that this lens can be changed in run and gun situations from 16 to 35 without rebalancing with acceptable results as well.

I'm a big fan of native glass simply because of the array of AF modes. The 16-35 is definitely a good choice for a gimbal because as mentioned the continuous AF is quite good. Eye-tracking is really impressive too. it does a great job of staying locked on to your subject. 

My setup is the FE 16-35, 35/1.4 and the 70-200. My main video lens when I don't want AF is the Tokina 28-70/2.6-2.8, a cheap and brilliant zoom that's a wonderful video lens.

I have the Batis 25 and 85 on order, don't know when they'll ship or if I'll keep the order. I may re-align my prime lineup to the 25/55/85 and ditch the 35, but its so damn good I'm going to have a tough time parting with it. But with the 25/55/85 trinity, you get a lot of versatility with the crop mode as they have the FOV of 42.5/85.5/127.5.

I wish the 25 was a 21. I think that will be a part of the 7 lenses Sony has stated will be announced before the end of the year.