Sony FE Sonnar 55mm f1.8

anchoricex

Can anyone confirm if this lens suffers from lens breathing? If so I'm going to assume it's not suitable for video. I was able to borrow it briefly from a friend but he's now out of town for the next few months and I was only able to take a few stills (albeit beautiful stills!). Despite the fly by wire focusing I actually really enjoyed the lens, but will be torn if there is an awful amount of breathing. All help is appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Asked over on DPReview and apparently at infinity focus the FOV is significantly wider. This does not bode well with me, does this bother anyone shooting with this lens? Curious on other filmmakers input, most of the folks over on DPR are photographers. I know it's not a manual focus lens but I've seen it used in quite a few "test" videos so I can't help but wonder if people still find it a suitable tool for their shoots.

Would be really interested in any sample footage you guys might have. PS thank you for chiming in.

Has the lens worked for those doing primarily video stuff, even with the fly by wire focus? I'm on the fence purchasing this lens and the Loxia 50mm f2, but at these prices I think autofocus for stills would be pretty dang nice. And I really enjoy the bokeh rendered by the Sonnar (not to say the Loxia is bad, but the Sonnar is extra special)

I use only manual mode with my 55mm 1.8 and it works like a charm. Never use autofocus except for stills. Extraordinary lens for stills as well btw. One of my newest videos on Vimeo features the 55mm on all the night scenes and the Rx100IV for day-scenes. Not a very interesting video but to showcase the lens, maybe. :-)

I use only manual mode with my 55mm 1.8 and it works like a charm. Never use autofocus except for stills. Extraordinary lens for stills as well btw. One of my newest videos on Vimeo features the 55mm on all the night scenes and the Rx100IV for day-scenes. Not a very interesting video but to showcase the lens, maybe. :-)

sorry for going of topic but what did you use to grade that footage? It looked realy really nice!

sorry for going of topic but what did you use to grade that footage? It looked realy really nice!

Thanks! No secrets. I use a LUT from here : https://sellfy.com/p/qC1i/ on an adjustment layer. Then I go into each individual clip with these three "no-render" effects in PP: Fast Color corrector, Three way color corrector and the infamous Brightness/Contrast effect. Lastly I use a sharpness of +15-20. On top of all this I have one last adjustment layer with some filmgrain set at Overlay at 50%. After I went from Canon ML Raw to Sony A7s and now the RX100IV I've graded all my "holiday" shots like this if I use the s-log2. The night scenes in this is not shot with s-log2. It's shot with PP4 and heavy use of Neat Noise Remover.

Thanks! No secrets. I use a LUT from here : https://sellfy.com/p/qC1i/ on an adjustment layer. Then I go into each individual clip with these three "no-render" effects in PP: Fast Color corrector, Three way color corrector and the infamous Brightness/Contrast effect. Lastly I use a sharpness of +15-20. On top of all this I have one last adjustment layer with some filmgrain set at Overlay at 50%. After I went from Canon ML Raw to Sony A7s and now the RX100IV I've graded all my "holiday" shots like this if I use the s-log2. The night scenes in this is not shot with s-log2. It's shot with PP4 and heavy use of Neat Noise Remover.

Thanks! Bought it to use when i rent a fs100 with G log next time!

• 9 months later...
11 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

yes but not very good

As above - you cannot trust the a7sii autofocus. Better to go manual and know your focus area - which won't mean you are shooting at f1.8 much of the time unless you have obedient subjects.

Brandon Li testing out the PilotFly H2: 

He's been on the facebook group a bunch getting help resolving some jitters.  From his comments there and on Vimeo it sounds like he's got it tuned pretty well now.  Not sure how much he needed it though.. that guy has been doing insane handheld shots for years that look smoother than my gimbal shots..

9 hours ago, tellure said:

Brandon Li testing out the PilotFly H2: 

He's been on the facebook group a bunch getting help resolving some jitters.  From his comments there and on Vimeo it sounds like he's got it tuned pretty well now.  Not sure how much he needed it though.. that guy has been doing insane handheld shots for years that look smoother than my gimbal shots..

Loved that so much that I forgot what the subject matter was. Always a good sign of a great piece of work when you forget all about technicalities, specs, named products, settings -and become engrossed in the whole point of film, which is to tell a story.