Letus Anamorphx for C100?

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From the tests I've seen, the Letus never really worked. Besides being only 1.33x squeeze, it's also that sort of weird single focus/dual focus design where you adjust the focus ring to either near or far modes and then you have a "range" within which it's possible to do some rudimentary follow-focusing. But then, it's never really sharp. Also, it suffers from mumping at close focus ranges.

This test shows pretty much what to expect:

I think that especially when taking price into consideration, I think that you're much better off going for an SLR Magic 1.33x plus a Rangefinder. At least then you'll have a single focus ring effecting real focus changes, and not locked into a certain range determined by the adapter.

From the tests I've seen, the Letus never really worked. Besides being only 1.33x squeeze, it's also that sort of weird single focus/dual focus design where you adjust the focus ring to either near or far modes and then you have a "range" within which it's possible to do some rudimentary follow-focusing. But then, it's never really sharp. Also, it suffers from mumping at close focus ranges.

This test shows pretty much what to expect:

I think that especially when taking price into consideration, I think that you're much better off going for an SLR Magic 1.33x plus a Rangefinder. At least then you'll have a single focus ring effecting real focus changes, and not locked into a certain range determined by the adapter.

Would the SLR Magic 1.33 work with bigger lenses on the C100? I was under the impression is was geared toward smaller sensor sizes and lenses. Could be wrong. Do you know?

Would the SLR Magic 1.33 work with bigger lenses on the C100? I was under the impression is was geared toward smaller sensor sizes and lenses. Could be wrong. Do you know?

The SLR Magic would have a slightly more limited range of possible focal lengths than the Letus. The Letus, after all, is huge with a massive 114mm front diameter. I heard somewhere that I can even fit on a 14mm. You'd have to ask around to figure out what the limit of the SLR Magic is on the wide end. I reckon somewhere around 28mm or 35mm.

The stuff shot in broad daylight at deep f-stops looks goods, but the stuff shot in dimmer light looks questionable. Also, in the latter half of the video, you can see some clear examples of mumping. Looks like 1954-era CinemaScope.

So I borrowed an Anamorphx to test. Most shots have flaring whites on the left/right. Any idea why? I'm such a noob when it comes to anamorphic.

ana.jpg

From what I understand, the AnamorphX came in several different versions, each with different grades and layers of coating in order to give users an option for how much fireworks they want in the frame. The type and amount of flaring you'll get is determined by which version you have at hand. That said, the Letus has a really big front element, so it shouldn't be hard for it to catch some stray light at almost any angle.