babies

valid

Hey guys

What are your favourite "baby" / 8mm anamorphics? Other than the well-known hypergonar 8, of course ;-) Mostly interested in sharpness and image quality - not worried about double focus etc.

Looking to build a small anamorphic shooting setup, to balance my Kowa B&H.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Iscomorphot 8/x2 - its a fixed focus monoblock @4m, you'll need diopters but the image out of it is stunning (can shoot wide open) & its single coated, so flares exactly like the Kowa (also branded as Animex).

Isco Widescreen 2000MC (not exactly 8mm, but small enough) - again another fixed focus block @5m, again diopters are helpful but you can focus through this one with the taking lens (helps if you stop down a little & use a low strength diopter - +0.5). I found that this does flare when pointed at strong [stage] lights, but most things will with that kind of bright glare.

There is the more expensive, single focus Iscomorphot 8/x1.5, but you need to stop the taking lens down to f4/5.6 to get a useable sharpish image - anything below that produces a dreamy image, which isn't always desired or v.useful most of the time.

Great! Thanks guys. The Animex/Iscomorphot 2x sounds like the best choice so far :-) How does the Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5 compare? Or the yashica scope?

PS - regarding the VM lens - what distance is it fixed to? Is it sharp? I've heard before that it has bad CA.

When I bought my second Möller 8/19 1.5 I sold my Baby Hypergonar with ease.
For me the Möllers are the best in terms of quality, character, sharpness (focus as close as 0,5meters and it is a peace of cake)  Wish I had a 16/32 as well. I even often prefer it to my Iscoramas!

Here is some old footage shot with the Möller: http://vimeo.com/72038962 Maybe your recognize some sort of rackfocussing which can be achieved with the Möller if you do some practicing :)

I love the Moller, I don't have one though. I'd pay a lot for it if it was single focus... I think it's the best baby for sure.

I'm the lucky owner of a Petit Cinevision. It's probably not the best baby in town, but I love this little lens. Since I picked it up in 2013 I have never seen one again and it is impossible to find something about it on Google. A real unicorn! :d

petit-cinevision.thumb.jpg.994708dbcaebd

I really have to take my baby out sometime again...

Hey Julian, your Petit Cinevision must be really one of the rarest anamorphic adapters out there and  I remember the discussion about it here on the forum back then... And YES - you should take it out as the image looks very good! :d BTW the focusing with the Bolex-Möller is so easy because you can just grab both taking lens and the Möller and focus both at the same time. This works because the throw of the Möller from 1m to infinity is only about 90º (from 0.5 to 1m it is another 90º) But this doesn't work with Nikons of course... but great with Canon FD for example.

Yes, the CineVision 8mm is a pretty wonderful lens.

Mine is not branded 'Petit' though...but it is the same tiny size. I've only ever seen the 2x versions appear on ebay once every year or so, the 1.5x model seems to be even more scarce. Below is old and boring video from mushy h264 from 7D, would really shine on a GH4 methinks.

Far right of this pic, shows how tiny it is :)

Anamorphic Family 1.33x/1.5x/1.75x/2x

It is so stunning that these old pieces of glass can still deliver so well. Remeber they were built nearly 60 years ago!!! The DV crap from Panasonic, Optex, Century is no match for
 most of them. The fact that 2x stretch is so rare depends on the low resolution of 8mm. There is also too much grain and that distorts as well. Therefore the Hypergonar was not good for 8mm: I never saw acceptable film with it.

Zebra ring was from part of an old m42 extension tube that was repurposed to make the focus ring on the CineVision easier to rotate once in its custom made mounting collar. These smaller 8mm scopes pose a few mounting issues sometimes, but nothing that a bit of igininuaty or Redstan could remedy. 

Not tried Sankyoscope, but Yashica looks the closest to the CineVision in terms of design and size, so I'd expect that to deliver similar results but I have a hunch that the CineVision types have higher grade optics.