I have £25k to spend on gear

Oliver Daniel

why the 25K? (how did they come up with that number?)

what are the other successful companies in your area using?

is it necessary to own equipment in your market?  (are there rental houses in your area?)

can you rent the higher end stuff when needed?

do you have producers and production managers working for you?  (if so what do they say?)

(i'll try to give you an example from working here in LA that might help..)

good luck

Thank you. 

The £25k is the amount of the fund. I can have less if required, but not more. 

Other companies in my area are using C300, C100, FS7, FS700, Alexa, Amira, DSLR. Not much RED. 

It's very important that my company owns enough equipment as we get a lot of bookings. We do rent lighting and bigger cams often, but because we are doing it so frequently, it makes sense to own this stuff. Loads of rental houses though. 

We rent higher end cameras as said. I do believe when you own a camera, you can get to know it a lot better = better end product. Of course, the ownership has to be affordable but create ROI. 

We are a small boutique. 2 of us do everything - the other one does the numbers. We call on others when required. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you. 

The £25k is the amount of the fund. I can have less if required, but not more. 

Other companies in my area are using C300, C100, FS7, FS700, Alexa, Amira, DSLR. Not much RED. 

It's very important that my company owns enough equipment as we get a lot of bookings. We do rent lighting and bigger cams often, but because we are doing it so frequently, it makes sense to own this stuff. Loads of rental houses though. 

We rent higher end cameras as said. I do believe when you own a camera, you can get to know it a lot better = better end product. Of course, the ownership has to be affordable but create ROI. 

We are a small boutique. 2 of us do everything - the other one does the numbers. We call on others when required. 

it sounds like you everything really wired over there...nice!

the only thing I can add from here and watching the colorists and dps work..is that everyone really likes kodak film here..it's like how the human eye sees things.....very passionate and successful professionals ..

good luck to you again...

Looks like I can spend the money end of next week. 

Although we have to do a variety of "tests" before the company can buy, here is my current ballpark list: 

• A Camera - fully packaged BM Ursa Mini 4.6k (pending tests on rental release). 2nd option is the Sony FS7. 
  • B Camera - BM Micro Cinema Camera (pending tests). 
  • C Camera - Sony RX10 II. 
  • Effects - Unique Hazer (for lighting). 
  • Large Thunderbolt 2 RAID Drive - G Tech Studio 16TB or Lacie 5 big 20TB? Any recommendations? 
  • Lenses - Sigma ART 18-35mm, Sigma ART 50mm.  
  • Lenses - Modified vintage lenses. (pending more research). 
  • Lighting - Lupolux LED 1000w, 650w x 2 + batteries. 
  • Lighting - Scorpion Lights x 6 + batteries. 
  • Mac - iMac 5k Retina Full Spec. 
  • Monitor - BM Video Assist (or Small HD 502)
  • Stuff - c fast 2 cards, sd cards, batteries etc. 

Doug Jensen has a series of training videos for the FS7 and a number of well done videos using the camera...

he has gone F3 F800 F55 FS7 and now shoots mainly with the F55 but uses the FS7. His setup videos help

nail color and exposure for pro shooters. Worth the price if you go FS7 ... and you have the option for RAW out of

that camera in the future with the CD Odyssey 7Q+.

Thunderbolt 2 Drive .... would caution against Lacie as they have had terrible failure rates.

The G Tech uses Enterprise class drives in its best RAID configurations ... highly recommended and at not

a huge premium in price.

Bob

Thunderbolt 2 Drive .... would caution against Lacie as they have had terrible failure rates.

The G Tech uses Enterprise class drives in its best RAID configurations ... highly recommended and at not

a huge premium in price.

Bob

Thanks for the heads up. 

Many sources on the web recommend G-Tech drives but you also have to be wary that many of these advisors are sponsored by the brand. I suppose they wouldn't agree the sponsor if they didn't think it was any good. 

Currently looking around at these drives rather obsessively. 

My experience was from a Lacie failure and moving to the Hitachi enterprise drives in the G Techs.

Here is a sampling of reviews from Apple online store.

• As an external storage device it does the job it is supposed to. It is relatively quiet but if you are doing any recording that n … More(Read full review)

• Written by Michael H from New York
    •  
    • Mar 21, 2015

23 of 26 people found this useful

Was this useful?External DriveYes No
  • Defective, right out of the box

1.0out of 5stars

Plugged into my iMac 5K and the lousy drive made my Mac reboot continuously. I asked for any other drive besides LaCie and was ass …More(Read full review)

• Written by Carleton J from OTTAWA
    •  
    • Mar 14, 2015

18 of 26 people found this useful

Was this useful?Defective, right out of the boxYes No
  • Don't mistake this for an enterprise grade device

2.0out of 5stars

Bogus power supply within six months (which is a VERY common complaint if you search the Web). The service department responded qu … More(Rea

Bob

My experience was from a Lacie failure and moving to the Hitachi enterprise drives in the G Techs.

Here is a sampling of reviews from Apple online store.

• As an external storage device it does the job it is supposed to. It is relatively quiet but if you are doing any recording that n … More(Read full review)

• Written by Michael H from New York
    •  
    • Mar 21, 2015

23 of 26 people found this useful

Was this useful?External DriveYes No
  • Defective, right out of the box

1.0out of 5stars

Plugged into my iMac 5K and the lousy drive made my Mac reboot continuously. I asked for any other drive besides LaCie and was ass …More(Read full review)

• Written by Carleton J from OTTAWA
    •  
    • Mar 14, 2015

18 of 26 people found this useful

Was this useful?Defective, right out of the boxYes No
  •  

Thank you... what G-Tech drive would you recommend? Do these things come with the internal drives? Looked at product specs and reviews and I can't see anything to say otherwise. 

Please keep us updated on the Scorpion lights. There are very few (underwhelming) demos on the web. 

Nick, I probably can't offer any more of a detailed review that Billy right now, but I will say that I love the light. It's like having a mini Arri 650. It's a pretty narrow throw but can get pretty bright at the highest setting (obviously not like 650w, but pretty bright.) Solidly built. The mini gels with magnets are cool. I think I'll mainly be using it as a kick light, and as a practical light reinforcement.

Nick, I probably can't offer any more of a detailed review that Billy right now, but I will say that I love the light. It's like having a mini Arri 650. It's a pretty narrow throw but can get pretty bright at the highest setting (obviously not like 650w, but pretty bright.) Solidly built. The mini gels with magnets are cool. I think I'll mainly be using it as a kick light, and as a practical light reinforcement.

I'm excited about using them. 

It's going to feel quite liberating to use a bunch of these with the Lupolux lights, which are able to output 1000w/650w equivalent from a 50w draw. Battery powered. 

When you're in a small crew, it can get very draining on a shoot having to  setup somewhat infinite reels of cables that turn into endless spiderwebs of chaos. To be able to pick up the light, move, assess then shoot will be awesome for productivity and creativity. Go anywhere, light almost anything. Anytime.