Vimeo axe Tip Jar

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just got this message from Vimeo:

On July 29, we will discontinue Tip Jar and no longer collect tips on your Tip Jar-enabled videos. Any tips you've received up until then will be paid out in accordance with our Payment Addendum. You don't need to take any action to make this happen.

While we're sad to say goodbye to our old friend, this change will allow us to focus on tools like Vimeo On Demand to help creators like you earn money from your videos.

Thanks for your understanding, and for making the most of our creator tools! We really appreciate you sticking with us as we continue to make Vimeo as awesome as possible.

---

So it is all Vimeo On Demand from now on? Very different.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Tip Jar never really worked that well - I agree to go VOD

I still wish Vimeo would focus on building a community vs going for Cameo - a iphone video creation tool - I think most real filmmakers aren't going to make films on their iphones - that's more a youtube thing

But hey, if they want the younger crowd, go for it.

For now, youtube compression is bad, but vimeo isn't that much better. 

I actually find the idea of a tip jar quite demeaning. If artists want to charge for their work, great, good work will get sold.

Since they typically don't have big names to market with though, I hope Vimeo (a) lets us sample a part and (b) makes it real easy to buy.