ND Filter buying advice

Smoulders

Hi there

I'm looking to purchase an ND filter for a sigma 18-35 with a Nikon D5500

I've been doing some shooting in the kitchen where there is loads of natural light and cant quite do so with the lens wide open as its just too bright.

I'm hoping to spend no more than £50. I was looking at a B & W 3 stop filter, but when I realised I need a 72mm size to fit on the end of the sigma, realised that a 3 stop model is a bit more pricey.

I have found this 2 stop version:

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-b-w-72mm-nd-102-0-6-sh-filter/p1013492?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-lens-filters-_-circular-threaded-filters-_-b-w-72mm-0-6-4x-102-neutral-density-filter-single-coated-_1013492&utm_source=googlebase-extension&mkwid=sw0rbqspp_dc&pcrid=72342100209&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=cj0keqjwulktbrdpicmjyvu_qzmbeiqazlgn5n4ggd0_-9c1mky1f-oa00exygm5j1ntn0rffv-ila0aarq28p8haq

Do you think that will suffice for what I am doing? I have never purchased or used an ND filter before.

Many thanks for your time

Nick

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes, variable ND is way more useful because it rolls many filters into one so you don't need to keep fiddling and swapping. Also, buying multiple filters adds up in cost quickly. For video, it also works as a de-clicked aperture control of sorts because you can continuously vary the light. I have the Tiffen 77mm with multiple step-down rings for different lenses, and it seems to work well for what it costs.

Few caveats though, based on my experience:

1. Variable ND is typically more expensive than the £50 you want to spend, though it can save in the long run.
  2. It adds a color cast, depending on the model, though it's easy to correct in post.
  3. You can't add a lens hood, which might be a serious issue depending on your shooting condition.
  4. The biggest issue for me is that it adds flare, which is quite noticeable when shooting into bright areas (see photos below, without and with the filter).

Especially for the flare, these days I just reduce the shutter angle rather than bother with the filter.

Without-Filter.jpg

With-Filter.jpg

If you are on a low budget, go for some kind of ND filter system like this http://www.ebay.de/itm/Full-Graduated-ND-Filter-Set-9-Metal-Adapter-Ring-Holder-Fur-Cokin-P-LF291-/271595911918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f3c60baee instead of a cheap variable ND filter. (I have no experience with this exact item, but it's pretty much a clone of the original Cokin P system for a much lower price).

I have the original Cokin P filter system and original Cokin ND's, as well as a few of cheap Chinese ND filters. The original Cokins have been better regarding color casts. The cheap ones I have affect the color a bit, but it can be corrected easily in post. What you gain with a filter system like this is that you don't lose sharpness.

I had a Lightcraft Fader ND Mark II variable ND filter (priced a bit over 100 euro) that I unfortunately broke. I could easily see the difference of what was shot on the Lightcraft vs the plain ND filters. If I'd get a new variable ND filter I'd want something sharper than the Lightcraft.

I also use my ND filters for still photography at 36 megapixels, so I like the plain ND filters since I don't lose sharpness.

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for all the advice, screen shots and pearls of wisdom. Has cleared up a few things. I over spent by getting the sigma 18-35, (which I'm loving) so decided to take Mercer's advice and get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/trade-Premium-Filter-SCHOTT-OPTICAL/dp/B00KH8QDFQ

At £22 and with good reviews, I thought It was worth taking a punt.

Thanks again.

Nick

I used a Variable ND but always had trouble using a polarizer with it.  The polarizer has to come before the Variable ND, so I had to use a Matte box because my variable ND doesn't have front filter threads.  Also, the changing color casts of Variable ND concerned me (probably because of the multiple polarizers inside)

But now that I need to keep things light for gimbal work, I ended up purchasing a 77mm B+W 2 and 3 stop filter along with a B+W Polarizer.  Step rings for smaller lenses.  And it's an investment that will last just fine if I take care of them.  If I had to run N Gun I would switch back to Variable ND but only if I had to.

I used a Variable ND but always had trouble using a polarizer with it.

​Of course it would be a problem.  And knowing why is kind of important.  I think you ultimately made the correct decision.

FWIW, I run and gun all the time.  That's what I do.  Even still, I don't use variable ND.  Putting a proper and appropriate ND's on a lens is a 10 second process, so no big deal.  Unless you're constantly popping inside to outside and can't stop rolling during your transitions, I don't see the great benefit of it.  Plus, the goofy color-cast of variable ND is annoying to me.

I believe there's now a Chinese company that actually makes lens adapters-to-mirrorless-cams with a slot for 52mm ND's, so if you want to decrease your filter swap time to 5 seconds instead of 10, there's that option too... Kinda cool.  Anyone recall the name of that product?

While it's tempting to try to save on the nd filter, it's not worth it in the long run and you'll just end buying something better eventually. You have a very nice lens and it would be shame to contaminate the light going into it by passing it through some low quality glass first. I do run and gun, and ended up using Hoya ProNDs with Xume magnetic filter adapters. It takes only seconds to change your ND on the go, and you will really notice the difference compared to a cheap variND.

• Super Members

While it's tempting to try to save on the nd filter, it's not worth it in the long run and you'll just end buying something better eventually. You have a very nice lens and it would be shame to contaminate the light going into it by passing it through some low quality glass first. I do run and gun, and ended up using Hoya ProNDs with Xume magnetic filter adapters. It takes only seconds to change your ND on the go, and you will really notice the difference compared to a cheap variND.

This,

Buy a nice high end ND and go Xume. I've had my oldest Genus Eclipse for years and no intention of replacing it. It's like a good microphone or lens, care for it and it's a one time buy.

This,

Buy a nice high end ND and go Xume. I've had my oldest Genus Eclipse for years and no intention of replacing it. It's like a good microphone or lens, care for it and it's a one time buy.

​I once heard a saying: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." He's going to find out soon enough on his own. :)

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for all the advice, screen shots and pearls of wisdom. Has cleared up a few things. I over spent by getting the sigma 18-35, (which I'm loving) so decided to take Mercer's advice and get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/trade-Premium-Filter-SCHOTT-OPTICAL/dp/B00KH8QDFQ

At £22 and with good reviews, I thought It was worth taking a punt.

Thanks again.

Nick

Smart move. Everybody swears by Schott Glass on the B+W, but if it's on a sub $50 variable filter, all of a sudden it's cheap? Well, I hope you like it. I love mine. 

Another vote for Schott Glass Variable ND filters... I purchased one by Zomei which was 18 layer multi-coated ultra slim etc. Works will with little color shift of the NX1.  They also make a 82mm version in case you need something larger. I've also had a Schott glass UV filter by the same company and that made the image slightly harder / more intense looking but it may have been the coatings etc and not the Schott glass, but for Variable ND Schott glass is plus as far as I can see.

This,

I second both Xume + standard ND (I've used Heliopan, but now trying the Breakthrough Photography NDs - review (not mine) of 10-stop filters that include the Breakthrough NDs: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx).  With the Xume magnetic adaptors in a small filter pouch it is almost as convenient as using a variable ND.  I keep a 3 or 6-stop on my camera, and use it like a lens cap.

I've also used both the Heliopan and Genus Eclipse variable ND filters which also give a good image.

I watched your Genus Eclipse vs. Cheap variable ND review, that was really useful.  I also found two more here:

https://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2012/12/08/nd-fader-shootout-heliopan-vs-the-new-genus-eclipse/

http://www.newsshooter.com/2012/12/06/genustech-eclipse-fader-nd-filter-sets-new-standard-all-for-165-us/

I don't use lenses larger than 58mm and step up to filters of that size, so it keeps the cost down.

Some day I need to take the time to do a comparative colour/sharpness test... 

I've done a test on various makes of variable ND's and although most of them are quite good with colour balance they ALL showed a reduction in sharpness at all apertures. The only make that didn't was a Tiffin which did not reduce sharpness at any aperture and was colour neutral. So I use a 77mm Tiffin and used step rings to use on a variety of lenses. However I have noticed on rare occasions weird rainbow light streaks when it is used past the maximum mark under certain lighting conditions. If this ever became a problem I'd get several single Tiffin ND's and stack them. The Vari ND is so convenient to use though.

I've done a test on various makes of variable ND's and although most of them are quite good with colour balance they ALL showed a reduction in sharpness at all apertures. The only make that didn't was a Tiffin which did not reduce sharpness at any aperture and was colour neutral. So I use a 77mm Tiffin and used step rings to use on a variety of lenses. However I have noticed on rare occasions weird rainbow light streaks when it is used past the maximum mark under certain lighting conditions. If this ever became a problem I'd get several single Tiffin ND's and stack them. The Vari ND is so convenient to use though.

Yes, I saw multiple comparison reviews/tests that put Tiffen variable ND as the best bang for the buck (I have the Tiffen 77mm). But it adds flare when you shoot into bright areas. See my post at the top with images without/with the filter. It's not terrible, and it may be lesser than in other filters, but it's still there. Perhaps it's a variable ND thing. Still, it's bad enough that I don't use the filter much these days and instead reduce shutter angle. I used to shoot with 6D but am now using NX1, and you can see every tiny difference in 4K unfortunately, so may be variable ND is just no good for 4K.